Oil Filter

Bike
2007 Ninja 500
I need to do an oil change on my 2007 Ninja 500EX. The filter which is currently on it is a Super Tech from Walmart. I know Walmart no longer carries these filters. So what brand would you recommend me to use.

my WalMart in Canada now caries Puralator filters and they are highly recomended on this forum as well. Check for the correct part number for your Ninja 500EX

A friend of my sons had one. I remember him saying there was a pretty good (active and helpful) forum.

Owners manual would be helpful it sounds like. Prolly downloadable.

Thanks! I also found this site, but was wondering if any one had a particular brand they preferred.

OK I get it. Ask 10 people that question and get 10 different answers.

IMO it doesn't matter. Just make sure what you use is correct - i.e. Use the OEM or any other manufacturers equivalent of OEM.

Not all filters are constructed equally. Some have cardboard support for the folds, others have a metal framework. I've known filters to collapse internally. I'm sure there are other measurable differences too.

I'm not familiar with the bike choices yet and I haven't had any of them apart to look how they might be constructed or how they're functioning. I'm sure there are links out there for the curious.

< off topic >

I took this Honda Civic oil filter apart after it went 20,000 km without a filter change. The oil was changed regularly at 4000 km intervals. I thought the filter would have a lot more residue than it did.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clocker/sets/72157619361309462/

After some pretty exhaustive research...I like the Purolator 14610 and 14612, which looked best when cut up. I have another vehicle which can use either one, so buy them up when i see a deal,usually from Advance (order online, use coupon, and pick up at local store).

I've used the Purolator filter for the past 5 years on my bike with no problems... I usually buy 4-5 at a time when I find them.

I have a good friend that owns an auto repair shop. He says to stay away from the bargain-priced unknown name brands as they can be poorly constructed. He knows of engines that have been damaged by filter media coming apart in those filters. Stay with well-known brands and OEM filters.

I agree the PL14610 and 12 are good options for many bikes. I use them on my FJR. IIRC the 10 is longer than the 12. Use it, if it fits, to give more filtering area.

Now will these work for the OPs Ninja? Dunno.

Top Bottom