Oil in Coolant

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Unless it's nearly free and you have the skills and want a project, I'd probably pass. There are many good ST1300s for sale here and other places at reasonable prices.

A side note... I had a similar (unfounded) scare with my ST1100 where I thought I had coolant in my oil. See that thread here... there are some good suggestions in there for helping diagnose this type of issue.

Anyway, best of luck with this and welcome to the forum.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I wouldn't rule out an issue with the oil cooler (liquid-cooled).

Nothing that can't be fixed. Just a matter of time, money, and desire.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
head gasket is one possibility, another possibility is a cracked head from overheating. Neither one is something you want to get involved with unless you have a spare engine to swap in. BTW, regarding the other comment of coolant in the oil also being possible. Once a head is cracked or a gasket is breached, either one can happen. Its possible to have coolant leak out and then find its way down into the crankcase by gravity. Since the oil pressure is higher than the coolant pressure, if a common passage is breached then oil going into the coolant is more likely than the other way around, but either way you've got major problems to address.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Re what @dwalby said, swapping a motor out is a big project. You won't be able to do this in an afternoon.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Why don't we slow down and back up a minute :rolleyes:
WHY does the owner think there is oil in his coolant? Did someone tell him that?
Is his mechanical seal (coolant/oil) weeping?
Is it simply a coolant leak mixed with road dirt giving the appearance of oil and coolant mixed?
Sometimes things are not always how they seem (or are repeated)
I would want to know a little bit more about the bike, and comments from the owner, before deciding what to do.
I once purchased a triumph with only a few hundred miles on it really cheap, because the owner swore the engine was toast.
Turned out it was simply the flange collar on the header pipe that dropped down out of place and was rattling around against the center stand :nuts:

Bike
VStrom 650
I agree with Larry, you/we need to know more.
If you are a spanner guy then maybe it could be a good buy, if you're going to pay someone to diagnose/repair then it is probably a non starter.
BUT, it would have to be cheap, as in giving it away cheap.
This site will be a good source of information to you along the way.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I think I saw this on Kijiji a few days ago (the listing's gone now)
Selling by a wrecker/dealer (stated oil in the coolant) with and had a working replacment motor to swap in. Was only a couple of grand with the spare motor as I recall. The bike appeared to be in very good shape otherwise.

OP
OP
I think I saw this on Kijiji a few days ago (the listing's gone now)
Selling by a wrecker/dealer (stated oil in the coolant) with and had a working replacment motor to swap in. Was only a couple of grand with the spare motor as I recall. The bike appeared to be in very good shape otherwise.
The replacement motor was an 1100. Now they are trying to peddle bike without spare motor.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Look at it this way would you answer a car add if the owner said there is oil in coolant? I'm in the run away camp.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
flyfisher said:
pedal might be the word you're looking for....
Pedaling a bike without pedals would be quite the trick and tougher than peddling an ST without an engine.

Top Bottom