Ok here we go!

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I know this will cause a feeding frenzy so I hope to keep it simple. I have a 93 ST1100. I ride about 10 to 12 k a year and tend to enjoy watchign the world tilt. When I bought my bike last April I had a basically new set of Metzler Laser Tech tires. I have had Metzel's before and liked them on different bikes. However, I don't care much for this pair, which is ok since I burned them up in under 8k miles. I tend to act like its just a big sport bike. lol. As I search for tires I am looking for peoples feelings on the Brigestone Battalax. Preferable those who have used them. I would like to keep it to just this tire at this moment. I know there are others out there and I will get to some more later.

Thanks.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Many of us use the Battlax T30, T31 and T32 now, Shinko Verge and Pilots popular too, all good tires, mine has BattleAx & I like them, may try Verge next, our size availability can narrow choices in some regions

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
So i'll ask. What is a normal milage for a set of tires on these, as this is my first set I need to replace.

Bike
VStrom 650
T30's and T31's tried on an 11. Excellent tyre and I've got two T32's on a shelf to replace the Avon ST's that were fitted last year when I couldn't get Bridgestones.
Mileage is a difficult one because for whatever reason the tyres in the UK and EU will not last as long as Stateside. My 023's used to be toast within 5000 miles but each evolution of the T's has, seen better mileage. I would expect about 6500 to 7000 miles from the 32's. We'll see. The T's also keep their shape well.
The Avon ST's are proving a decent tyre, they're keeping their shape and I'll be off to Europe with them next month. After 1500 miles there's no discernable wear.
From choice I'll always go for bridgestone but the Avon is proving my bias may be misplaced.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I tend to brake hard. Have to say the Metzler's have nice shape still, just don't inspire cornering or wet confidence. I can feel the back do the hoochy coochy under light acceleration around corners. Has from the day I got the bike.

Bike
2009 ST1300
my bike never slips or does the hoochey coochey and I've hammered it in around 100 mph;
Igofar and some more experienced riders on this site are guys you want to talk to, it's one thing to bear down in a straight line but if you're really pushing your luck try one thing first; ride in gravel, when it gets away it really gets away.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I tend to go overboard at times and loose the point and Ill bet im in the low ten percent of skill and experience on this site wasnt trying to glean all knowing but the subject reminded me of riding the sea to sky one time where a guy on a small harley passed me on an inside curve can usually avoid those situations but didnt see him approach and didnt hear all the noise util he was alongside, i looked down and his rear tire was slippiing laterally - notch notch notch, towards me he throws it into the next curve in front of me same on the other side of the tire. Im probably 10 or so k over the speed limit and hes gone he could not have been unaware of how badly the tires were performing slip is one thing but hes lucky it basically reconnected to the pavement a dozen or so times each turn ive watched lots of bikes scream past me but not like that

Bike
91 ST1100
Happy with BT020 bias on the rears, BT?? (flavor of the month) radials on the fronts.
In over 435,000 miles between 4 ST1100s, I've run most brands of tires at least once. ;)
I know this could open up a can of worms butttt, what cold pressure do you operate at?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I’ve been running Battleaxe tires for seven years now, with each generation there have been improvements. I installed the T32’s late last season so only have 3500kms on them but they still look fresh. On average I get 16k kms on the rear and 20k kms on the front. My tire pressure is 42/42. The tires are replaced soon as the wear bars are evident, meaning there’s still some life in the tire. I generally go through two sets per season.
As for handling, they are a confident inspiring tire. They grip well in all weather situations.
I have installed a set of Avon’s 9 years ago for a cross Canada trip. I was pleased with the handling, and I got very good mileage out of them, however when they got close to the wear bars, they didn’t give a very smooth ride.
For my trip to Newfoundland this July, a new set of T32’s will be installed. I will cover 10k kms in two weeks so that will be the true test for me for both handling and wear.
I’m not a racer, I do like curvy roads and will exercise the bike to the best of my ability. I ride 25-40k kms per season.

turbomaker

I live one commute mile at a time
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Just to stir things up, I run a Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 on the rear...Battlaxe on the front.

Just under 8k on it, and it looks/feels quite nice. Just a commuter, so it goes on the freeway (mostly) and some freeway avoiding roads as well (sometimes).

I ride in the dry, wet, and in-between conditions. I bought it for durability (it's made for a heavy bike).

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
My Battleax T31 set I run 42 front, 38 rear though I bump up the rear with a load to 40. Have 10k kms on them so far and measured them yesterday, still 2.5 mm, so expect to get similar life as Kiltman/Robert maybe near 15k kms.

jswartz

Stomper
Bike
ST 1300 '06
I know this will cause a feeding frenzy so I hope to keep it simple. I have a 93 ST1100. I ride about 10 to 12 k a year and tend to enjoy watchign the world tilt. When I bought my bike last April I had a basically new set of Metzler Laser Tech tires. I have had Metzel's before and liked them on different bikes. However, I don't care much for this pair, which is ok since I burned them up in under 8k miles. I tend to act like its just a big sport bike. lol. As I search for tires I am looking for peoples feelings on the Brigestone Battalax. Preferable those who have used them. I would like to keep it to just this tire at this moment. I know there are others out there and I will get to some more later.

Thanks.

Thanks.
I'm on second set of Avons, First was Storm, second is Spirit, both sets wear well, great turn in, awesome handling, confident in wet stuff, stay true. Double compound tread works well. Battlax didn't go more than 8k.

Top Bottom