ok stupid questions incoming!!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe use UP’s routing to pass thru Yosemite and Death Valley on the way to the Grand Canyon and stay there an extra day.
Routing is going to be interesting!
After leaving Death Valley you have two main options, stay north where you could go through Zion NP, and north rim of the GC, or go south along Uncle Phil's basic route to the south rim of the GC. My personal choice would be the northern route because Zion is a nice park, and the north rim of the GC is far less hassle than the south rim. There are parts of the south rim that are off limits to vehicles 9 months out of the year, so you'd be taking shuttles to some of the view points. North rim you just pull up and park right at the rim, and there's far less crowds. The slot canyons around Page, AZ are also interesting to visit (Antelope Canyon), as is Horseshoe Bend.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
If you are going to pack gear on your saddle bags, then you will not be able to see in your rear view mirrors. I used a dry bag with all my gear strapped to the back seat when I had my ST. It hung about 6 inches past the grab rail on each side. I could only see just a little in my mirrors. Do some tests before you hit the road. Pack everything up that you want to take and see if it fits and how it rides. Trying to do this on a trip is not fun. 700 mile days? Unless you are up and out each morning at sunrise, you will be setting up in the dark. I do 700 mile days by myself and that does not leave any time to stop and see things. Between fuel and food stops, especially with two people, makes for a very long day. I would cut it back to 500 and it gives you a little breathing room.

If you want to camp in Yosemite, those campgrounds take reservations only. You can only make those reservations 3 months out and during a block of dates. You have to be on the computer the second that day opens or you will not get a site. I went in Oct. one year. All 700 sites were taken in 20 minutes for the days I was looking at! Just don't want you to think you can roll up and get a site.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was meaning more in "general" LOL Yes, there are some places, but in general the east coast is crowded. This photo is from NASA of the USA at night. Whole lot of dark real estate out in the central and western US.
I figured that. ;) I do have a telescope of some size that I need to dust off and get back in use when the leaves are gone.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
When ya get to CA let’s get someone out here to help ya service and check out the STeed. What days do you think you’ll be in CA? Also get a RAN list for along your route in the unlikely event you need help.

Sent by Tapatalk

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
CA, this trip will be in early-mid May. I'll be coming in on I-40 probably, make my way over to Morro Bay, then up the PCH to Monterey.

It's been a life's dream to just dip my feet in the Pacific!

Due to obvious packing woes, I think I'll camp as much as possible while heading west (since I'll be by myself) then, before picking up my daughter in Monterey, I'll find a UPS store and ship my gear back home.

Without a trailer, I just can't see how to pack what we'd need riding two-up.

She is rather disappointed in that, but I don't see any real alternatives given the circumstances.

On the plus side, a recalculation of our available time gives us 11 days to go from Monterey Calif back home to Hobe Sound-- a few days more than I was thinking! That will allow a little sightseeing time, and most importantly, shorter riding days.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
this trip will be in early-mid May.
Depending on the winter snow levels, you may not be able to ride over Tioga Pass (eastern entrance/exit of Yosemite). It closes for the winter and generally re-opens around mid-May. Road conditions are available online, you'll have to monitor that when you arrive in Monterey.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Depending on the winter snow levels, you may not be able to ride over Tioga Pass (eastern entrance/exit of Yosemite). It closes for the winter and generally re-opens around mid-May. Road conditions are available online, you'll have to monitor that when you arrive in Monterey.
Dwalby--thanks for that!! I'm a native floridian-- we don't think in terms of "season" or "snow" or "elevation" LOL.... my daughter has never seen snow... To us, we think in terms of "almost summer", "early hurricane season", "peak hurricane season", and "late summer"...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
If Tioga pass is still closed then look north to Carson pass 88, or Lincoln hwy 50, and last choice is the freeway 80 which is kept open.

Make sure that you go into the valley ( I spent a few summers in the early 70's climbing those walls and hanging out in Camp4)
now it has been a few years since I have been there. Ride into a free parking lot and hop onto the free shuttle look for the double decker and go on top.
it will take you around the valley and bring you back. look online for the route information. Curry village has a big parking lot.
Go up Glacier point road to the end, park and walk to the edge. you can look down into the curry village parking lot below from the top.
down at the southern entrance to Yosemite off hwy 41, or Wawona road is a road called Mariposa Grove rd that will take you to some Giant Redwood trees.
most miss this spot, look for the Grizzly Giant.
The red woods on the coast are tall and skinny the ones in the Sierras are short and fat....

oh wow.... go to google maps zoom into yosemite valley. find the top of el capitan. click on satellite view. hold down the control key. now drag your mouse..... oh the detail....

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
Just make sure you double check all your gear. I Ride and Motorcycle Camp a Lot and I still ended up with 12 pairs of Socks and No Underwear on one trip last year.

Top Bottom