OK What's the latest hot setup for a standard style battery?

Bike
07 ST1300
My fully charged battery sounds weak these days. I think it's about 5 years old. What's the latest thinking on batteries and has there been improvements in the wiring feeding the starter?
Been a few years since I have been here. Rough go this past year or so. Lost a daughter to a truck driver, and wife and I both almost bought it from covid. Not sure we will ever be the same after these events. I'm guessing there is no "after".
Anyway..what about the battery?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Are you the Jim Gregory with a 92 R100RS? If so, I think we met at Todd Trumbore's 40th RS reunion in 2017. So very sorry to hear about your daughter. We lost our only son in a car accident in 2007. It gets better with time, but the scar is forever. I"l let the ST13 contingent chime in on battery options.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Many are fond of the current state of the art in Lithium batteries (the leading name being Shorai), but I had a lithium battery and found it to be largely useless in anything but warm weather. For my money, I say stick with tried-and-true AGM lead batteries. I purchased a new Yuasa, and have no regrets.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hey Jim,

No alternative new think recommendations on a battery, I'm still in the AGM old school of thinking. For the ST1300 that would be an Yuasa YTZ14S or equivalent in other brands.

I saw your Covid survivor thread over in Airheads. Bare knuckles no holds barred from the heart, a tough road for you and your wife. There will be a day when all tears are wiped away. Psalm 18 prayed over both of you.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
There are a number of people here who are staunchly in favor of the Shorai or equiv. Lithium batteries. I have one and have had no problems for a couple of years. I've joked that the lighter weight makes it easier to pick up my bike after a drop and that it accelerates faster away from stop lights. But, I have to admit that good old Lead Acid, especially AGM types make a whole lot more sense. My Shorai not only cost more, but the charger added significantly to the price. Looking back, I was chasing a dream, or a wish and not being very logical about my choice.

Everything I have read recently (check out Battery University and even read his book for more than you wanted to know about batteries) seems to point to the AGM as being the most cost effective power source for starting your bike or car. For long trips away from home, carry one of those portable jump starter kits. Lithium only starts to make sense for specific requirements.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Are you the Jim Gregory with a 92 R100RS? If so, I think we met at Todd Trumbore's 40th RS reunion in 2017. So very sorry to hear about your daughter. We lost our only son in a car accident in 2007. It gets better with time, but the scar is forever. I"l let the ST13 contingent chime in on battery options.
Yep that's me. Didn't know you had an ST but I'm not surprised. Sorry about your son. Profoundly crushingly so. We think of Sarah about every waking moment. I'm surprised my wife has made it this far. Our club is a terrible club..

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Hey Jim,

No alternative new think recommendations on a battery, I'm still in the AGM old school of thinking. For the ST1300 that would be an Yuasa YZ14S or equivalent in other brands.

I saw your Covid survivor thread over in Airheads. Bare knuckles no holds barred from the heart, a tough road for you and your wife. There will be a day when all tears are wiped away. Psalm 18 prayed over both of you.
Thank you again Dave. We wait for that day.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I go to a specialty battery shop. They have every version of everything. When asked what is the best battery for my motorcycle and what about lithium, “there is no magic, lead acid is the best all round battery, we sell lithium if you want it.”
Battery tender subject came up.
Quality of battery is an issue, so they only sell good quality batteries for a reasonable price. $80ish iirc, it’s been a few years since I needed one.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The best prices I've found on an OEM (Yuasa) battery have been at a little mom and pop dirt bike shop in Victorville California believe it or not.
Ordered on Tuesday, arrived Wednesday (next day). Free shipping. Can't beat that.
I've purchased many batteries from them over the years.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
The best prices I've found on an OEM (Yuasa) battery have been at a little mom and pop dirt bike shop in Victorville California believe it or not.
Ordered on Tuesday, arrived Wednesday (next day). Free shipping. Can't beat that.
I've purchased many batteries from them over the years.
I guess the Yuasa YTZ14s is still the preferred setup. Amazon has them for 124 with free prime shipping.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Motocross brand used to be one of Yuasa's house brands and the quality is close to or the match of OEM for quite a bit less. I have used these in my ST1300 with good report. It's labeled YTX14H-BS. Shipped with the acid in a separate container it can stay on the shelf indefinitely. That is what BS means. While probably the best quality battery the OEM Yuasa can get old stock syndrome if the dealer didn't rotate and maintain stock which many don't.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I got my ST in Aug. of '18, and It needed a battery, so I got an AGM from Walmart. I slow-charged it before installing it, and it hasn't been charged or jumped since. This past was the second winter it sat under cover outdoors for about three months, and it started right up as if it had been ridden the day before.

Bike
2010 ST1300
One item not mentioned by Fortnine is the corrosive tendency of a flooded lead acid battery. I remember cars with rotted out battery shelves, and everything in the immediate vicinity rusting. I've seen some old Guzzi's with similar rust due to acid vapors and drippings off the top of the battery. I'll take AGM for those reasons.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
For my ST1300 I would probably just stay with the AGM YTZ14s, but for my Super Tenere I was looking for more cranking amps as the OEM YTZ12s which was VERY marginal on this bike. They have a history of hard starts and no starts without a perfect battery. The ST1300 in my experience is a much easier starting bike. A popular upgrade for the Tenere is to fit the YTZ14S (same case size as the 12), but it only offers a +20 CCA advantage. I took the leap (experiment?) and installed a Scorpion 387CCA lithium iron phosphate battery. So far, a year and a half in, it's providing much more vigorous cranking performance and I've had no hard/slow start up adventures.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
This is the sixth season for my Shorai, I replaced the original AGM battery before a trip to Colorado in 2015 and it is still cranking strong today. When I replaced the original battery it hadn’t failed but it cranked the engine so slow that I lost confidence in trusting it for a cross continent trip.

Top Bottom