ST1100Y
Site Supporter
I'm old enough to remember .64 cent 98oct leaded gas
many, if not most of us on this thread remember $0.19 regular


Also a 'sign of the time'...Though some things have shrunk over time unfortunately I have not.
I'm obviously not a member of "many, if not most of us"
I found a chart "average gas prices through history" for the US (link below).
In 1972, it was $0.36
1934 to 1941: $0.19
So yea, I haven't made it to the "84 to 91" year old range - and in the slim possibility I do, my memory will be horribly lacking![]()
The muscle cars of the late '60s were running compression ratios in the 10-11 range IIRC, which was high at the time, but pretty unimpressive by today's standards. I'm no expert, but I think the difference was the flow efficiency of their cylinder heads was pathetic compared to today's technology so they needed that kind of octane to avoid pre-detonation. And, since I never owned one of those cars, it may be that they ran OK on lower octane, but ran better on the higher octane.That's amazing. Only time I ever saw more than 100oct at the pump was when Sunoco offered 105oct unleaded as race gas at a few stations for 2.89gal. Later skyrocketed to $7gal. I guess that's how those old muscle cars were able to run so well with leaded 106! I didn't start driving until 1984 when I was 16. 1st car was a 1973 AMC Postal Jeep passed down from my older brother.
As my father used to tell me back in the 1970s - "Mark my words, gasoline will someday cost $1.00 a gallon."