....on the matter of buying an "exotic" bike

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
We were discussing various brands of bikes and a friend on another forum found this great article about the joys ( or not ) of owning an "exotic" motorcycle (in this case, a Husqvarna).

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/seven-lessons-learned-from-owning-an-exotic-motorcycle

WOW - all I can say is that I am going to keep this article on-file just in case I ever have an urge to buy a HusDucUzziKTMRilia. In fact, if I ever mention doing that (i.e. buying an exotic) - perhaps one of you American chaps would be good enough to come up here and shoot me - to preserve what is left of my family fortune for my offspring. What a tale of woe - and really bad customer care on the part of Husqvarna USA and the stealership where the poor guy bought that PoS. What is more amazing is that Husqvarna and BMW (who reportedly built the engine of the bike in the story) are both very fine engineering firms with a century or more of excellent products in their past.

If this article doesn't drive you into the arms of HonYamKawiZuki, I don't know what would.

CF5BB755-4F89-4795-A01D-EB90AD6319E1.jpeg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I've only owned 7 motorcycles in my life and they were all Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. Fortunately, I've had little desire for an 'exotic', and as I get older and wiser, even less desire. I know there are good one's out there, but the cost and risk are both too high for me. I guess "good enough" is good enough for me.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My only brush with exotica was owning a 1975 Norton 850 Commando Interstate.
In a handful of years' ownership, the few weeks that I could keep the accursed machine running were quite enjoyable. Sadly, those weeks were few and infrequent.
But Lucas electronics won out in short order, as I had no idea what I was in for prior to buying it.
Of course, it is now highly sought after, and there are still enough idiots - er, excuse me, collectors and aficionados left who would pay insane money for their chance at disappointment - er, excuse me, at pride of ownership.
Who has not heard one or a hundred Lucas electric jokes?

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Indeed. ...and frankly, with the Japanese brands, its not like you cannot find a great bargain, a bike that goes waaaay too fast or one that won't wheelie to your heart's content.

I mean, these are the people who built, the ST1300, Interceptor, Fireblade and Blackhawk, the RD350 and RD400 and XS650, the H1-500 and H2-750 ring-dings, the GT380, 550 and 750 Water Buffalo and superb GS/GSX four-strokes in the past and now the new GL1800, the CBR series, the new H2 and the excellent MT07 and MT09 along with the SV650 and GSXR series of bikes.

The key thing is - all of these machines will stay together and keep running while they do all of that fun stuff.

Whatever additional performance is in those exotic bikes, in all candour, is inaccessible to 95% of the riders I know (including me). We simply aren't skilled or courageous enough to use the extra capabilities and people who think they are, are either kidding themselves or are far crazier than me.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
'Exotics' CAN be a let down. After I left the military, I went shopping for an XKE. A friend recommended I attend a few local owner's club meetings. I did...attended two. Everyone raved about handling but most of the discussions revolved around how much repair had cost since the previous meeting. Still in my dreams.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If this article doesn't drive you into the arms of HonYamKawiZuki, I don't know what would.
Well, if you can just get edumucated enough to walk in with eyes wide open, I might issue a caveat.
While I'm not a terrific moto-wrench today, I'm light-years ahead of where I was during my sad and sorry, pitiful Norton ownership all those years ago.
So I bought a lightly used 2005 KTM 950 Adventure S, after having done much online searching, ADVrider-ing, asking questions, and talking to other owners. It fit the description as written in the Comments below the referenced article:
"Reliability, low cost of purchase and ownership, and ease of maintenance all are in the back seat. The right bike really depends on what a particular rider values."
By then I felt I had "outgrown" the BMW f650gs Dakar single for offroad venturing, and wanted to experience what all the "big boys" were talking about, so I read and read, swallowed hard, and bought that KTM.
What a pain in the arse!
What a freaking "this is why I ride" joy!
Tubed tires (no more getting by with a plug to fix a flat), battery location was more than just inconvenient, you have HOW many oil filters to replace / clean for an oil change?!, what do you mean, the fairing IS the fuel tank?, I have 7 gallons but can't get 200 miles between fillups?, and on and on.
But oh, the ride. Suspension adjustable however you like - and you don't even have to buy more High-$$ components. Easy to find tire sizes - and LOTS of choices in quality rubber. Taking off a tire on the trail really ain't all THAT hard after all. Power out the wazoo, on the road and on the trail. Easy to ride on the street. Go fast or slow as you are comfortable on the trails. Your bike is not ubiquitous, and it interests riders and non-riders alike. You get to understand the psyche of Orange Crush. You have a bike that was MADE to get dirty, and get you out of the deep woods. Easy riding position (if you have the inseam for its height), easy to ride around town or on the open highway. Power out the wazoo!
I found the orange addiction worth the hassles and the funkiness and the "why'd they put this HERE?!". And today, KTM has modified / eliminated much of the quirkiness of the previous era. But, they have also added much of the newer technology and gadgetry which still strikes me as questionable for an offroad bike.
Nonetheless, at some point I will once again swallow hard, and give someone way too much money for a (somewhat) exotic, overgrown dirtbike.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Prior to retirement.......... I really had no time or energy to work and then baby a fussy and expensive exotic bike, I just needed a bike that ran well and kept me happy.

Post retirement, I really have no time or energy to not work and also baby a fussy and expensive exotic bike, I continue to need a bike that just runs well and keeps me happy.

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Prior to retirement.......... I really had no time or energy to work and then baby a fussy and expensive exotic bike, I just needed a bike that ran well and kept me happy.

Post retirement, I really have no time or energy to not work and also baby a fussy and expensive exotic bike, I continue to need a bike that just runs well and keeps me happy.
ZACKLEY!

Bike
2010 ST1300
'Exotics' CAN be a let down. After I left the military, I went shopping for an XKE. A friend recommended I attend a few local owner's club meetings. I did...attended two. Everyone raved about handling but most of the discussions revolved around how much repair had cost since the previous meeting. Still in my dreams.
At one point, I too lusted for an XKE (tho I never got to the shopping point). I was cured when I heard it was a good idea to own two - one to drive while the other was in the shop. I also read that to change the rear brake pads, you had to drop the rear axle because the brakes were inboard, not behind the wheels like on most other cars. This was supposedly an 8 hour job.

Spock was SOOOOO right... "Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting."

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The article is 7 years old. I think that there have been some changes (improvements?) over the years.
Interesting term, exotic!
I recently (last June) got a KTM 790 Adventure R. Only have put about 9,000 kms on it so far and yes, it is not a UJM but so far, it has not given me a second's trouble. 95 hp, full adjustable suspension, lots of suspension travel, almost 300 mile range, different riding modes at the flip of a switch (think bailing off the pavement and heading up a trail) It is a grin machine!! Time will tell how it stands up and the cost of operation but so far, so good. There were a few glitches in the early releases but they seem to have been ironed out for the most part (he says with fingers crossed!)

Weren't there some issues with the early Africa Twins and Teneres? Recent, large scale recall on FJRs gearboxes? Thermostat and SMC issues with STs? Doohickys on KLRs? Rear brakes and airbags on Goldwings? The list is long. Not sure there is any bike that didn't have some issues at one time or another. How the dealer works with the owners plays a large role in how a bike is perceived.

To be honest, motorcycles, here in NA, are recreational tools for the most part. They should add a little "fizz" to the ride; to paraphrase James May.

Last edited:
I finally found time to read the article.

Not impressed ...
a) it's dated 2014

b) misuse of the word "exotic" - I would never consider a Husky an exotic, or BMW, or ...

A Bugatti is an exotic - an Aventador is an exotic ...

I'm not convinced there's a motorcycle that's considered in the same vain as an exotic automobile.

By the way, expensive does not equal exotic.
I also do not think "rare" qualifies as exotic.

Though a dictionary states:
very different, strange, or unusual

Okay, one bike comes to my mind as exotic:
the Münch Mammoth.

c) the use of "starting"... and in the very first paragraph :/

Sorry, but as a published author of a number of books, I "hate" the misuse (clueless use) of the word "starting" ... just ask my wife : )

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
About 5 years ago, I needed a starter for my exotic bike, still under warranty. The dealer said there were none available in the U.S. but some were on a container ship, and should be here in 3 weeks. Sounded like BS to me. I called the main U.S. headquarters and got the same song and dance story. Expected in 3 weeks, depending on unloading time of container ship. They said there might be one in a dealers inventory, but they had no way of locating one. They suggested for me to start calling dealers to locate one, but the dealer would nave no obligation to send it to my local dealer for the repair. Finally got the bike repaired in 5 weeks.

The bike? It was one of the very rare 2008 Honda Goldwings. Probably not over 100,000 of them made that use that same starter.

John

OP
OP
MaxPete
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
About 5 years ago, I needed a starter for my exotic bike, still under warranty. The dealer said there were none available in the U.S. but some were on a container ship, and should be here in 3 weeks. Sounded like BS to me. I called the main U.S. headquarters and got the same song and dance story. Expected in 3 weeks, depending on unloading time of container ship. They said there might be one in a dealers inventory, but they had no way of locating one. They suggested for me to start calling dealers to locate one, but the dealer would nave no obligation to send it to my local dealer for the repair. Finally got the bike repaired in 5 weeks.

The bike? It was one of the very rare 2008 Honda Goldwings. Probably not over 100,000 of them made that use that same starter.

John
Agreed Nashcat - waiting for parts sure is a drag. I guess the point is that a Gold Wing starter failure is a pretty rare event. In fact, I ride with a lot of GL folks and none of them (NONE) have ever had a significant mechanical or electrical failure. Further to that, I have been riding since the mid-1970s and I have never actually had a failure of a Japanese bike - except the clutch slave cylinder on my late departed ST1300 - and Honda Canada was able to supply a new CSC within 24 hours at a reasonable cost.

In short, I'm not saying that no Gold Wing has ever failed, I am just saying that it is rare enough that I have not encountered one personally and as far as I am aware, none of my buddies have either. Short of a crash or egregiously bad maintenance, they seem to start and go - every time.

Anyhow - whether it happened in 2013, 2014 or 2021, the tale of that Husqvarna is a bad story of poorly made technology, a dealer who behaved very badly and an unethical company who failed their customers by not honouring the warranty. I'll bet that guy who wrote that post won't be buying another one anytime soon.

Again, there is likely a reason why bikes of those brands are rare (whatever meaning you wish to place on that word).

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Not particularly "exotic", but somewhat "uncommon", in the past I had a Moto-Guzzi, and an Aprilia Tuono. Neither gave any trouble. Both scratched the itch I had at the time! However, as I get more conservative with age, I appreciate meeting the nicest people on a Honda, now more than ever! :banr1:

I think Honda is number1 in sales. Probably Yamaha or Bajaj next. No KTM, no bmw, no husky or triumph. These are niche market bikes for all the oddballs in the world. im glad they are here, i need some crazy ass shiat to look at when i hit a group meet....

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I had a friend in the 70's who had a Husqvarna 390 with an automatic transmission. It was an enduro monster, but it required a transmission rebuild after every couple of enduros. Something about some Sprague one-way bearings that gave up regularly. My only Husky was a TE610. As usual, I kitted it to the gills, Safari tank, pipe, crazy lights, seat, etc. Then I learned that the valve lifters last for about two tires. I guess with a head rebuild every other tire didn't meet my reliability standards. Also, the electronic dash would go dark occasionally until it decided to light back up. The bike kept running though. It is safer to just throw your wallet out in the street.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
At one point, I too lusted for an XKE (tho I never got to the shopping point). I was cured when I heard it was a good idea to own two - one to drive while the other was in the shop. I also read that to change the rear brake pads, you had to drop the rear axle because the brakes were inboard, not behind the wheels like on most other cars. This was supposedly an 8 hour job.

Spock was SOOOOO right... "Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting."
The best car I ever owned was a 1976 Rover 2200sc. It too had inboard rear disc brakes. Fortunately I never had to have them worked on.

Rover 2200sc.jpeg

Bike
2005 ST1300

If I ever have an extra $30,000 lying around with nothing to do and felt the need to own a bike that can go 329 km/h it might be something like this one. Luckily, for my life expectancy, neither of those instances are true.

My son inlaw has several Ducati sport bikes in his possession. Very fast, very Beautiful, always looking for attention. If he is going to ride carefree he rides his Suzuki 400. Always starts/runs/make it home. Not that the Ducati is that "exotic" but you just can't beat the Japanese bikes for smiles per hour.

Top Bottom