Opinions wanted from those of you that own both a Wing and an ST

I really like my ST1100A and it is a nice, affordable first bike but I'm much more Touring than Sport and even though my ST is becoming a mini-Wing I may ultimately want to get a GL1800 for the comfort and convenience. The Wing has always been my favorite bike.

I know some of you out there have both a Wing and an ST. Please comment on how you feel about both of them. Things like:

- comfort
- "fun factor"
- if you could only keep one, which one would it be, and why?
- etc.

Last edited:
I may ultimately want to get a GL1800 for the comfort and convenience.

Don't own one but have ridden an 1800 for about 5 thousand miles in total. Every time I get on one I'm pleased with the radio, wind/weather protection, luggage carrying capacity.

However I always "feel" in my mind the bulk of the rear of the machine. It's a presence that just wont go away.

With a top box/tank bag on my ST I can carry nearly as much as on an 1800. My magnetic tank bag is voluminous and gives me somewhere to carry all the stuff I like to have right at hand when going for day rides or when expanded can carry nearly enough clothing for a 6 or 7 day trip. One of my saddlebags is used up with my sleep apnea machine :mad1: I do take the bags off quite often and am pleased with that capability. Makes it easier to clean the ST.

Whilst the Wing is very flickable it just doesn't seem to have the :D factor that the ST does. Especially in the twisties.

I rode one on Sunday for a couple of hundred and just didn't enjoy it as much as the ST. The Wing is easier to control speed wise. The ST really does like to nip along at 90 :biker:

This question, or one similar, has been asked before... and, I created this forum just to help put the comments in one place, here it is:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159

Now, to answer your question as it applies too me... someone who went from a GL1800 to an ST1300 and back to a GL1800...

Comfort - off the shelf the Wing wins.. but, with minor adjustments the ST can be very comfortable.

Fun Factor - The ST wins here, and I'll admit it.

Brakes - ST wins hands down.

Lighting - Wing wins w/stock lights.

Mileage per tank - ST wins w/300, Wing is around 200 or slightly over.

Luggage - Wing wins only because the trunk comes with it - add a Givi to an ST and the difference is small. The Wing trunk and saddle bags close and can be oppened with the paddles under the trunk, without needing a key.

Built in accessories - Well, do I actually have to say it (Wing wins w/radio, weather band and intercom - also, front speakers) Not to mention the Cruise Control and Reverse which is a godsend for those shorter people like me.

Engine - the ST is smooth... the Wing is smoother. The Wing has some great all around torque and lots of power - The ST much quicker and passing is a breeze.

Maint - 16k valve check for ST - 32k for Wing. Checking valves on ST requires lots of plastic removal, on Wing the valve covers are exposed. Actually adjusting them is similar as they are both bucket/shim valves.

Aftermarket - Well, it sucks but the ST have barely any aftermarket accessories compared to the warehouses full of Wing stuff... even if 90 percent of it all is chrome and lights...

Passenger comfort - the Wing has a sofa for a backseat however many have complained that the wind buffetting hitting the passenger is not tolerable.

Windshield - Electric for ST, not for Wing - ST Wins!

Gas - Wing wins here - it takes regular unleaded - ST needs premium.

If you are more touring than sport - then the wing will probably be your eventual destination... There's still some sport in the wing and you may realize you can have a lot of fun with it.

Those are my opinions/observations.... they work for me and thats why I've had two wings. Take the comments for what they are worth but make up your own mind and do what works for you in the end.

Mellow, The ST1100 takes Premium?? :banghead: I've been putting 85 oct. in my 93 St. for 7 years without any knock or problems. I didn't know Prem. was required.:confused: :eek:

CK

What Mellow Said......

But I'll add a couple points.

I traded my 1800 in on my ST. Between my 1800 and my 1500, I put over 80k on those two Wings over the course of 5 years and another 16k on a Vulcan 1500 I had during that time. My personal experience (and just my experience only) I felt like the Wing had become "transportation" and it just wasn't any fun any more for me. It was a great ride, and had all the bells and whistles that I've had to try to replace on my ST, but it had become kind of a sterile environment. Maybe I was bored, but the Concours I had re-awakened my love for riding again. It had a ton of fun factor that I never found on either of my Wings.

All of Mellow's points should be read carefully, because I believe that he captured the spirit of both bikes in his comparison. It was and honest and truthful comparo in my opinion. I do somewhat take respectful exception to his opinions about the regular vs. premium issue. I don't mind paying a little more for gas because my ST gets better mileage than my Wing got, so I think that would be a tie in my book.

Bottom line is that to answer your question, read Mellow's reply. It's all laid out for you there.

Good job Mellow. :bow1:

I'm a relative newbie to the ST1300, having only owned mine for less than two months - but I'm not new to ST1100's (5 of them since 1991) and have two years experience with GL1800's.

Here's my $.02

Everything Mellow said is right on the money - but for me the differences are the things you really have a hard time explaining. Kinda like trying to tell a non-rider why you ride motorcycles!

For me, I felt I was losing the REAL FEEL and EXPERIENCE of a motorcycle the longer I rode the Wing. It really hit me when I bought my laST ST1100 in 2005 and was able to compare the two bikes side-by-side. Sure, the Wing is comfy - but it was almoST like I wasn't riding anymore.

Good Luck with whatever you decide on!!!!

rod

Yes, thank you Mellow, that was a great, detailed, response!

I never understood why the Wing has such a small gas tank. That 200-mile range is probably the thing I don't like the most about the wing.

Everytime I see a Wing up close I think "that is one huge bike". But then again, the ST seemed large to me at first but that passed.

I think the GL1800 has plenty enough sport for me. A 1500 wing would be a LOT more affordable but the 1800 is such a better bike (lighter, better handling, etc).

Clark Kent said:
Mellow, The ST1100 takes Premium?? :banghead: I've been putting 85 oct. in my 93 St. for 7 years without any knock or problems. I didn't know Prem. was required.:confused: :eek:

The 1996+ owner's manual calls for 91 or higher octane. I haven't tried anything lower to see how it runs.

dpadair said:
The 1996+ owner's manual calls for 91 or higher octane. I haven't tried anything lower to see how it runs.

Now that's real intereSTing. Two of my five ST1100's were newer than '96 (a '98 and a '02) and I ran regular unleaded in every one of them - per the manual.

:wasntme

Clark Kent said:

CK

Oh dear, now you've done it! The engine's probably ready to blow any second. :eek: You'd better sell that 1100 quick and buy a new ST1300 ASAP! ;) :D

Never rode a wing... but heard the air filter

is a serious pain. My friend has one and the dealer had to just about take everything off to get to it. Quite a labor cost he said (i think over $500)

Never rode a wing... but heard the air filter

A riding friend of mine has an 1800 and is a competent wrench. It takes him 2 1/2 hours to change the air filter. :( Lots of tupperware to be removed.

an Air Filter change on a wing is not that bad.. yes, the center plastic needs to come off but $500 in labor is crazy... I can do it in under an hour taking my time.

It's pretty much a wash in this category... there are things that take more time on the ST like checking the valves which need to be done twice for every one time on the wing. The wing's valve covers are exposed and so it the timing thingy so it's a pretty fast check... On the ST, all the plastic comes off, I still don't know why they didn't expose the cylinder heads just to allow checking the valves easier... The rear wheel is much easier to remove on the wing due to the single sided swing arm and since the drive splines are contained in the final drive, there are not splines to grease and no bearings in the wheel to worry about. Most electrical connections can be added with very little, if any, plastic removal. But, yes, it does take more time to change the air filter.... :D

dpadair,

I came off an '81 GL1100I after 24 years and 146K. I test rode both the GL1800 and the ST1300. The ST was my choice in every department. I would have taken a second look at the Wing if I were to ride two-up all the time. My "SO" has a 919 Hornet, so it was not a factor. We went coast to coast in '05 and outside of a tire change in Salt Lake City, the ST was flawless. The ST was purchased used with 2,749 miles on the clock and with ABS, it came in at just under $11K.

Incidently, the original owner traded up to a GL1800 because his wife didn't feel comfortable on the back of the ST. It's a personal choice.

Doc

Mellow said:
an Air Filter change on a wing is not that bad.. yes, the center plastic needs to come off but $500 in labor is crazy... I can do it in under an hour taking my time.

It's pretty much a wash in this category... there are things that take more time on the ST like checking the valves which need to be done twice for every one time on the wing. The wing's valve covers are exposed and so it the timing thingy so it's a pretty fast check... On the ST, all the plastic comes off, I still don't know why they didn't expose the cylinder heads just to allow checking the valves easier... The rear wheel is much easier to remove on the wing due to the single sided swing arm and since the drive splines are contained in the final drive, there are not splines to grease and no bearings in the wheel to worry about. Most electrical connections can be added with very little, if any, plastic removal. But, yes, it does take more time to change the air filter.... :D
OK, I have both an 1800 and an ST1300. The air filter on the Wing is a pain, but the first time I changed it was at 47,000 miles on my 01, and it was in very good shape. I put 103,000+ on it before I traded it on the 06 and never had the valves checked. The Wing is extremely comfortable with two up. My SO and I just returned from a 5700 mile camping trip to AZ and back to Ohio. It was 31 when we left and the temps got to 92 in southern AZ and back down to 63 when we returned to OH. We were comfortable with our electric gear and at night ran the heater in the Bunkhouse. The SO hasn't ridden the ST yet and probably won't because I don't have a backrest for it. I haven't had many miles on the ST, as my seat went to Russell for an update and hasn't returned yet. Prior to sending my seat to Russell, I managed to get 1,650 miles on the odometer. It is every thing the Wing isn't. More agile, more throttle response, more brakes, and more FUN!!! However if I could only have one motorcycle it would be the Wing. Absolutely no doubt about it, as much fun as the ST is, the ability to run tank to tank without stopping in comfort all day is where the Wing excels. I have kid in CA and one in NC, so being retired I put many miles on just going to see the grand kids. And that is where the Wing definately works well. And it uses low test.:06biker:

I have them both too...

I have a '96 GL1500SE and a "98 ST1100. Love them both.
Two up with my wife goes to the wing.
One up on the ST.
Carving the curves...ST
Highway distance...wing

I have to admit that I am sometimes torn as to which I will ride. I like them both so much. I came up on a sport bike and never thought I would be riding one of those "tank wings". But let me tell you gents, once you pass 40 life starts to make you think: knees hurt, back hurts, shoulder hurt, can't see without glasses or contacts, like ice cream better than pizza, and the list goes on...but I still like the sport (I take Alieve).

Why does one rider take to an ST while another takes to a Wing? It is all personal. The best bet is to have them both and enjoy.

Very objective comments!:policeST:

I've owned a 2003 Wing for 3 years. I purchased a used 1995 ST1100 just over a year ago. Both are fine rides; however, both have different functions. The Wing is designed for touring & can be a sports bike. The ST (at least the '95 version) is designed to be a sports bike that lets you tour. BOTH are a LOT of fun.

If I had enough money, I'd buy a new ST. Heck, if I had enough money, I'd buy a new Wing with that navigation system. Heck, if I had enough money....you get the picture!!!!;)

Again, Mellow hit it right on. I had the GL1500, then GL1800, and now the ST1300 (only for a bit though) and absolutely LOVE the ST1300, much more fun to drive (IMHO).

I am having to work to get some of the farkles on it that the Wing had (cruise), radio (XM with no FM modulator since there isn't an FM radio on the ST).

I like the weight of the ST being lighter and more nimble.

Wish that I could open both saddle bags and top box with one lever location like on the Wing, but on the up side, I can fit my full face helmet in either saddle bag on the ST, whereas I couldn't on the Wing.

I miss not having the side pockets back by the passenger on the Wing, but like being able to put a bigger tank bag on the ST...a heavy tank bag on the wing messed with the radio controls.

Seat is a whole lot easier to take off on the ST than on the wing, and so far, it looks to me (IMHO) that everything comes off the ST much easier than on the Wing.

GOOOLLLLLLIIIIIEEEEE, I LOVE the electric windshield on the ST and now joing the crowd asking why they didn't put it on the Wing.

Back
Top Bottom