Opinions wanted from those of you that own both a Wing and an ST

Buck, you can lane split on a Wing. I've done it every time I've been out there on the left coast. Almost all the cagers(yeah there are a few a&&holes) move over to give you room. I didn't have to split the only time I had the ST out there.

Yip....I'm new here. The GW is pretty, but....

Here's my plan....keep the obligatory 03 Harley, 1200 Bandit, Kawi dirt bikes and sell the Blast and Victory Touring Cruiser and get a new ST 1300 ABS.

Question is....do I need to keep the Bandit if I get the ST?

Question is....do I need to keep the Bandit if I get the ST?

My opinion, yes... it's lighter, much more flickable, much narrower etc etc. But hey, that's just my opinion :D

Did I mention I just got a new 1250 Bandit lol.

Regards,

Not to hijack this thread... Just a side note. It's amazing how far Honda has come on developing the Gold Wing. I own the first generation ('75-'79) Gold Wing. I've had it since '81. Any options then were a Vetter fairing, clamshell for a radio, that mounted under the windshield, bags, and luggage rack / backrest... And those were the only options... I love 'em both, my ST and that ol' Wing. In thier own way, they are both fun to ride.

Attachments

• 1978 Honda Gold Wing GL1000.jpg
    1978 Honda Gold Wing GL1000.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 22
What an entertaining thread! For sound, unbiased advice, you need go no further than Mellow's response back on page 1.

Like others, I also own both. However, I think we need to qualify which incarnation of the ST and the 'Wing we are talking about when comparing the two bikes. I've owned a lot of bikes during the last 25 years. I've had 2 Venture Royales, 2 Wings, 2 ST's, 2 Connies, 2 FJ1200's, several Harleys and a bunch of metric cruisers to boot. Touring and sport touring have always been my favorite type of riding. The point of my mentioning my bikes is not too gloat, but rather to illustrate that I've found that even the same model of bike will vary greatly from model year to model year.

Case in point. I bought a 1984 GL1200 new, and sold it just 5 months later. It was boring, boring, boring... I hated that bike. It had mediocre power, so-so handling, and no personality whatsoever. That experience moved me squarely into the Yamaha camp, and I ended up owning 2 Ventures. The Ventures were great bikes - everything the GL1200 wasn't. They had much more power, handled better, and a wonderful sound eminated from that V4 engine (essentially a detuned V-Max mill).

Fast forward 20 years. I bought a 2005 GL1800 and couldn't be happier. The power compared to my old '84 GL1200 is off of the charts. Same for the handling. Styling on the GL1800 is gorgeous. Honda absolutely hit a home run with this bike. I've also ridden the GL1500, and while refined, it was much closer to my GL1200 than my GL1800. The difference in power and handling between the 1500 and 1800 is night and day, with the 1800 coming out on top in both categories in a big way. I also never cared for the styling of the 1500, but obviously this just comes down to personal preference.

As for ST's, I've had both the 1100 and 1300. The 1100 was a wonderful bike, but not terribly exciting. It was supremely comfortable, had very long legs, and had decent, although uninspiring power. It had a power curve that was as flat as Nebraska. Honda got this bike correct right out of the box. If only it had another 20 horsepower and some updated styling. Then along comes 2003, and Honda does it again. The 1300 version of the ST has stunning styling, but the real fun lies in the updated engine. While the 1100 had ok power, the 1300 will get you up to go-to-jail speeds real fast. There is no comparison between the 2 engines. I liked my ST1100 , but I love my 1300. Again, kudos to the folks at Honda R&D.

The whole point that I'm trying to make with this post is that when the original poster was asking for a comparison between the ST and the Wing, I felt it was important to realize that the new Wing is nothing like it's predecessor, and the new ST is much improved over the 1100 as well. I still have my Wing (an '05) and I don't ever plan on selling it. It does everything amazingly well for an 800lb bike. I also have an '05 ST, and I don't ever plan on selling it either. It's sufficiently different from my Wing to warrant keeping both.

For 2-up riding, the Wing gets the nod every time. For solo flying, I'll take the ST 90% of the time. If I could only own one bike, it would be the ST if I was single and the Wing if I was married (assuming my wife likes to ride, which she does). Many posters here have said that they find the Wing to be more comfortable than the ST. In stock configuration I find this to be true, although the Wing seat for the driver is not as comfortable as you might think. With the proper modifications (risers, Sargent, MCL peg lowerers) I find that my ST is now the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. My ST1100 (1991) was equally comfortable, but again, with several mods for the ergos.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it seems to be a fault of mine. Once I get started talking about bikes it seems like I just can't shut up.

Doug

IMG_4572640wide.jpg

My present bikes ('05 Wing, '05 ST1300, '06 Street Glide)

IMG_4565640wide.jpg

2005 ST1300 (metallic red)
2005 GL1800 (metallic blue)
2006 Street Glide (pearl black)

www.dougmeek.com

Last edited:
Dropping a Wing

I also love the wing. Whats the "drop" factor in comparison to the ST. In other words, do wing owners drop the wing as often as the ST?

Re: Dropping a Wing

I also love the wing. Whats the "drop" factor in comparison to the ST. In other words, do wing owners drop the wing as often as the ST?

The Wing isn't as top-heavy as the ST in my opinion... but, I have dropped my Wing more times than I ever dropped the ST.. I think because I was always more careful with the ST because it felt top heavy..the Wing doesn't feel that way to me so you tend to forget that... once it starts going.. as with the ST .. just walk off it and let it sit on the crashbars..

knock knock knock... haven't yet... knock knock knock... :rolleyes:

I'm more careful due to the weight concern on the Wing.

Actually... it's not that clean... you can see spots of Oil, Coolant and

attachment.php

of course, Ice Cream...

Now that's funny. I can already see that I'm going to love this forum. There are obviously a bunch of wise guys lurking here, and that makes things a lot of fun.:)

Mellow's picture is kind of embarassing though.:eek: I had just spent 2 hours cleaning up the oil and coolant stains. As for the ice cream, why bother. It ensures my status as a "true winger". :cbcgw1:

Doug

2005 ST1300 (metallic red)
2005 GL1800 (metallic blue)
2006 Street Glide (pearl black)

www.dougmeek.com

Last edited:
I own both, My 2001 GL just turned 82K and to date I have had no mechanical problems. Like all bikes it has a few oddities that needed to be taken care of but no big deal. It is a very strong soft and quiet machine but at 900lbs it is no sport bike or even sport tour - it is a road bike.
I picked up the 99 ST11 with the idea I would ride it to work which is what I do but have really begun to appreciate the quality of this machine as well. Like the wing I did some mechanical fine tuning to get ride of a few glitches and now it is fine.
Like the wing the initial ride was somewhat harsh due to hard tires but on both I addressed that with bias plys and on the wing a "real" radial rear tire.
I find though both are quite different they both ride quite nice and are equally quiet.
The ST does handle better due to the lighter weight with stands to reason. Mileage on the wing ranges from 42-49 and the ST is 45-52 so not a lot different considering.
Accessories - I am a MC purest so these mean nothing to me - I never use the radio and consider it a waste of space.

I do all my own service on everything from bikes to backhoes so it's nice to have bike that don't break - one less thing to do in a day.

I now own a GS but last year I had a 2005 ST1300. I test rode a Wing today. I must say I come out of it impressed by how quickly the weight disappears, I would agree with many double owners who have commented that the ST appears more top heavy than the Wing. The ST is clearly more nimble. However, the wing is surprising. I could see a Wing in my future but I will wait for the new version in 09 (rumour).

Actually... it's not that clean... you can see spots of Oil, Coolant and

attachment.php

of course, Ice Cream...

I'm guessing at least one of those spots is blood, from your stuffed Alf doll falling off the back seat of the 'wing.

I would have to agree with you Doug - I had a 1500 which was the first Honda I ever owned and compared to the Venture it was at best a parallel move. I kept that bike less than a year. My 2001 wing has been in the barn now 5 years and I have over 82K on it and plan on keeping it at least a couple more years. The ST1100 days are numbered as I am already looking for a replacement but who knows maybe I'll keep it a couple years more. I tend to just want to try new bikes as a 2nd ride and keep the one trusted unit for the long haul. I am unsure what will be next, it will be whatever catches the eye. (anything but an HD - I just can't do fashion and can't afford the clothing)

Hey... cat tail out the trunk... hmmmm ... I like that... I'll have to replace my 'hand stuck out of the trunk' with the cat tail... thanks for the idea.

I thought I'd miss the electric shield on the ST when I went back to the wing however, when you are on the ST you have a few different heights that you can sit at depending on your posture. On the Wing, you pretty much just sit up and so when you get the shield to the height you want it, it's pretty much going to stay there most of the time. I can't remember the last time I even moved mine.

Back
Top Bottom