Ordering a Hankook

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Well, over the years I've mostly ridden 2 up and slab to get out of the NY area.
Doing the winter check over/ maintainance on the bike I see again my rear tire is almost gone from one year of riding ( about 6k ). Now I could prob stretch it another 2k but don't like to push it with only 2 wheels ( ends up as a backup in case someone's in need ).

Thought about it and fiq I can try a DS tire for $100 and see how it works for the spring and go back if wanted to the B Stones.

So I just put in the order for a v12, it'll come along in a week and I'd prob put it on in jan ( when there's no chance of me riding till spring( as today its going to 55f) ).

Time will tell.

PS Happy New Yr to all

Will the car tire fit onto the original rear wheel of the motorcycle, or do you have to buy a new rear wheel as well?

Michael

Will the car tire fit onto the original rear wheel of the motorcycle, or do you have to buy a new rear wheel as well?

Michael

ST1300: yes a car tire will fit on the stock wheel.
ST1100: no, you need a GW wheel and spacers.

Well there will be nothing but smoke and flames now!! :flame

yea I know, but its ok I can handle the heat... will test it for fire in spring locally.

If I'm comfy with the tire, I have a slab trip planned upstate this spring... it will prob be the first longer trip with DS and then twisty roads too.
Also planned, if this works well ( we run max weight with gear loaded ), I've considered pulling a mc trailer to do a Grand canyon trip this summer ( one of the factors that made me order ).
This will ease my plans as usu now I drop UPS boxes to hotels with clean clothes and have to be on a sched.

I think that I will be back on a dark-side tire again the way my tires are going away fast on the sides. I like the heat also!! :D

Tom you know Pam and I ride together a lot. I love the Hankook and yes the new V-12 looks even better then the old style. I have two new ones on the shelf as we speak. Remember when you first put it on its going to feel weird but just give it about 200 miles and you won't know it's back there. I'm getting between 16 to 18,000 miles out of mine. Im on my third one. And yes about towing a trailer my bike feels more sure footed two up and towing!!!
Keep us posted!!!

Jay

Tks Jay... always good to know my thinking was on par.
Did a bunch of reading before decision, and have seen to give it some time ... also planning to run at about 36psi.

Oh great... there goes the neighborhood.

Another rip in the space time continuum. Didn't anybody tell you...

Congrats! Welcome to :ds1: :burnout

I was surprised when you went back to those skinny little mc tires.
I guess you wanted to get good use out of that fancy tire changer you have.:)
Will you go back to a GYTT or pick a different tire?

Not sure which it will be, I have two more skinny rear tires to wear out and then I will find one fat one to mount on the ST. Might be another Hankook.

106.JPG 107.JPG

Tom above are the new style Hankooks, and a picture of the old style still on the bike now, has about 12,000 miles on it.

Jay

I'm still loving my GYTT. Almost 22k miles this season, plus around another 10k since I installed it last season, so a bit over 30k miles on it and it still looks great. Lots of twisties, some snow, mud, and other environments.

Tom above are the new style Hankooks, and a picture of the old style still on the bike now, has about 12,000 miles on it.

Jay

Tks jay,.... just got the tire yesterday ( quick shipping ) and its the new style... Prob will mount it in a month or so during winter maintenance. I'll take pics and post as it goes.

BTW; Trick to warm tire in winter, as my garage is usu about 50f, is wrap it in an old electric blanket in a large plastic bag. Really makes a diff to aid in install if tire is warm. Esp the Bstones 020f that are a dog to mount.

Back
Top Bottom