Oxford Heated Grips - Panel Placement Suggestion

Bike
03 ST1300
Hello everyone

Looking to install some Oxford Heated Grips Premium grips (Adventure version) on my ST1300 and I'm looking for suggestions on where to mount the control panel.

Putting it on top of the master cylinder cover seems a little goofy - unless you mounted it there, then I'm sure it's OK :rolleyes:. I do have a GPS mount that blocks the cylinder cover so getting at the controller would be a little problematic while driving.

So I'm interested in where you mounted yours - photos greatly appreciated. Any other advice appreciated as well.

As always, thanks in advance!

Bike
ST1300A4
I mounted mine on the clutch lever mounts. It's easily accessibly when riding, and with the mount bent slightly towards you it clears the top of the reservoir (so should be OK with a RAM mount there). Incidentally, I bought the Sport variant, as at 123mm they were the same width as the old heated grips on the bike when I bought it. The different Oxford grips have different widths, though they can be cut down a little.

heat1.jpgheat2.jpg

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I had to mount mine on the throttle side because my CB is mounted on the clutch side. Had to heat and bend the mounting plate the other way. since I don't need to change the settings that often, still works well. No pics at this time.

Bike
ST1300A4
A metal bracket comes with the kit - see http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/GPOX960.html for a picture of it. You remove the bolts that hold your clutch lever in place, and replace them with the ones in the kit (obviously with the bracket in place, and the spacers to keep the controller bracket clear of the clutch bracket, which you put back on). The controller bracket is relatively easy to bend to put it at a nice angle (as in you can bend it easily enough doing it on purpose, but it is sturdy in normal use). Hope that makes sense!

Bike
ST1300A4
No problem. But if you haven't ordered yet, double check how long your existing grips are - I /think/ you'll find the Adventure ones are too long at 132mm unless you chop them down (122mm minimum before you get to the element). As I mentioned, I used the sports which are 123mm as standard (can be cut down to 114mm) and fit my bike perfectly out of the box.

Bike
03 St1300A
I have the Oxford touring version. The grips fit fine but as you should be able to see I couldn't put the control pad on the left side of the handlebars due to my "volume control" for my LED driving lights. I simply reversed the angle of the bracket and bolted it to the clutch bracket on the right side. It's a relatively easy install.

Gary

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
GSMetal
Bike
03 ST1300
Thanks Gary for the pics. I got my grips the other day and will be installing them over the next few days. Looking forward to having heated grips again!

OP
OP
GSMetal
Bike
03 ST1300
Hi

I'm mostly through my install of the Oxford heated grips but I did have a question for you.

How / where did you run the wiring from your left handlebar to the junction plug in?

I'm planning on running the wiring along the right side of the bike (took the Tupperware off already) and I'm contemplating how to run the wiring for the grips as where they junction in.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom