Packable camp chair

I love my Kermit but I also bought mine before they added other models and when prices were lower. Even have the leg extensions.

Skip

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK! Yes, I have one from Tesco bought when we went to the Festival of Speed at Goodwood and it has that all-important tinnie holder built into the arm!

I have a Trekology from Amazon. Great price and works well. Legs are adjustable so you're not sitting on the ground.

Wal_mart has a knockoff of that design now. Not saying it's good, I just happened to see it when I was wandering through getting ATF.
See it here.
fddc3e39-9368-4529-814f-560b75b5cc9d_1.2e8ff0efcb9afeedb541f65a41a8d43a.jpeg
Maybe twice the weight for half the price and quality to match.

Last edited:
Wal_mart has a knockoff of that design now. Not saying it's good, I just happened to see it when I was endangering through getting ATF.
See it here.
Maybe twice the weight for half the price and quality to match.
Yep, looks almost identical, except the legs aren't adjustable. The non-adjustable Trekology is $40, compared to Walmart's $20, so pretty good deal at Walmart. Thanks for the tip.

Kermit it is! Thanks all for suggestions and snaps!

Ouch! That's how I found the timber section of the frame that goes under my thighs. Perhaps you get a different version in the USA to what's available in OZ.

Having said that, the Kermit does have a following in the OZ ADVRider fraternity.

I have a Helinox version, copy , knock-off of the above. There is one on this link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=helinox+...80&sprefix=helinox,aps,453&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

But at US$100, price is a bit steep, the Helinox I got for around US$55 a couple of years ago.

I have a kermit but stopped using it once I got the rei camp lite which is now what is similarly duplicated in the other chairs. the kermit is comfortable but just don't like how heavy it is and how long it is packed... the others are anywhere from 10-12 inches long and weigh almost nothing so you can pack them anywhere.

I would sell my Kermit but it has 'Mellow' on it and I have a feeling some guy named Tom from Florida would buy it just to polish off his Mellow-interpretation routine.

.... the kermit is comfortable but just don't like how heavy it is and how long it is packed... the others are anywhere from 10-12 inches long and weigh almost nothing so you can pack them anywhere.
+1... Kermit is too heavy and packs too big, plus it's on the expensive side, i.e. 4X the cost of other quality options. The newer offerings are overall so much better, IMO.

REI C0-op Flexlite Macro. Lightweight and packs up to the size of a loaf of white bread.

+1... Kermit is too heavy and packs too big, plus it's on the expensive side
JuST my take on it, Paul, but weight is not an issue as I’m not carrying my Kermit on my back, my SSMST carries it on its back for me. The extra weight doesn’t mean much to a 700lb sport touring motorcycle.

If I’m camping I don’t expect to carry that gear in the panniers or topcase; it’s gone into my Ortlieb duffel for the last 18 years. I ride solo so who cares about weight, bulk or length.

I vote for comfort, quality, design, sturdiness, reliability and yes... cache. And I’ll pay for it; the Kermit is worth every damn penny. An objet d’art!

For years I have also taken my Kermit “Up North” to the Minnesota/Canadian border on my annual canoe country fishing trip into the BWCAW. The perfect wilderness campchair. It’s far more comfortable than the typical $15 soccer-match-sidelines, collapsible chairs my tripmates bring.

edit (48.0294420, -91.5961068):
2E91673D-D64E-4D5E-BC36-308A9F2DF16F.jpeg

Spring for the Kermit’s leg extensions, you’ll be glad you did. And yes, I had my Kermit custom embroidered with my full name and STOC number. It’s in my will to go to #1 son.

FWIW YMMV

Edit2: those other chairs mentioned above don’t have armrests!

John

Last edited:
JuST my take on it, Paul, but weight is not an issue as I’m not carrying my Kermit on my back, my SSMST carries it on its back for me. The extra weight doesn’t mean much to a 700lb sport touring motorcycle.

If I’m camping I don’t expect to carry that gear in the panniers or topcase; it’s gone into my Ortlieb duffel for the last 18 years. I ride solo so who cares about weight, bulk or length.

I vote for comfort, quality, design, sturdiness, reliability and yes... cache. And I’ll pay for it; the Kermit is worth every damn penny. An objet d’art!

For years I have also taken my Kermit “Up North” to the Minnesota/Canadian border on my annual canoe country fishing trip into the BWCAW. The perfect wilderness campchair. It’s far more comfortable than the typical $15 soccer-match-sidelines, collapsible chairs my tripmates bring.

edit (48.0294420, -91.5961068):

Spring for the Kermit’s leg extensions, you’ll be glad you did. And yes, I had my Kermit custom embroidered with my full name and STOC number. It’s in my will to go to #1 son.

FWIW YMMV

Edit2: those other chairs mentioned above don’t have armrests!

John
Very good points John, but as I do this MC camping thing more and more, weight and especially space become more important to me. I only sit in the chair for a very small percentage of time during any given trip, so while the Kermit is definitely the better chair, the one I brought up is 'good enough', at least for me and at least for now. I've sat in several Kermits and I reserve the right to change my mind though! ;)

I got one on sale from REI which is a Helinox clone. Very comfortable and reasonable price - around $50 IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom