PalmDr.- Repair Your Garmin, Sena, etc..

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This is a story about excellent service rendered by a company I have dealt with for the first time, and have no affiliation with other than being a customer.

Specifically it is about the excellent customer service provided by Mr. Chris Short of Short Tronics Inc., also known as PalmDr.
You can visit his site here- PalmDr.com.
Palm Dr.jpg

I had known about this place for quite a while but had never seen anything to indicate that he could repair a Sena communicator. I contacted him to ask if he had any ability to repair a Sena 20S communicator. He did not B.S. me. He wrote me back and very honestly told me that he has attempted to repair several of these. He openly admitted that he has been successful about 50% of the time. The good news is that if he can not repair it, there is only a $10.00 USD charge for the evaluation. It seemed like a no brainer on a $400.00 unit- we couldn't loose more than $10.00 plus a few bucks for shipping.

I put it in the mail to him on a Monday. It arrived at his facility late Friday evening. The following Monday mid afternoon he contacted me to tell me that he had already repaired it.
This is what was repaired;
- replaced a defective power chip on the circuit board.
- re-flowed a few of the sketchy solder joints.
The charge for the complete repair was $50.00 USD.
He put it in the mail on its way back to me that same Monday afternoon so it was actually a one day turn around.
I have now received it and have had a chance to pair it with my Sena so that I can test it. It works perfectly.

I also have a Zumo 550 that had a defective digitizer. The screen was quite worn where it mostly commonly gets pressed as well. It needed a new digitizer and a new screen. I was going to replace these myself as I knew that I could purchase the parts from PalmDr.com. Since we were shipping the Sena to PalmDr anyway, the cost of shipping no longer factored in to the repair cost of the Zumo. I decided to send the Zumo to him as well and let him take care of it.
These are the repairs that were done on the Zumo;
- Replaced the digitizer.
- Replaced the screen.
- Replaced the internal battery.
- Replaced all of the torn exterior rubber buttons that I had stuck back on with silicone.
All of these repairs were accomplished for the princely sum of $85.00 USD.
The Zumo was repaired during the same one-day turn around time as the Sena.
The Zumo now works and looks like a brand new one again.

If you have any electronic gizmo that you still like and would like to keep but did not know where to send it for repair, or thought that it was not worth the cost of repair, contact this company before you throw it out. For most items he charges only $10.00 USD to evaluate the unit and provide a repair estimate.
His service was very fast. I didn't even use the express repair service that he has available for some items.
His price was very reasonable.
He charged what he said he would charge.
He did what he said he would do.
He did it very quickly.
He provides a warranty that stands behind his repairs.

The only variable I can not speak to as of now is longevity. Time will answer the question of how durable his repairs are.
Since any riding of any significance is off the table for me right now during this Covid-19 crisis, I have no idea how long it will be before I can offer a fair evaluation based on time and actual usage.

I am offering this recommendation of this company now, without waiting for the passage of time, because I thought that if there is anyone else who is looking for somewhere to have something repaired, now might be a good time to do it. If your riding has been curtailed as well, now might be a good opportunity to send that item for repair.

If you are planning to have something repaired, considering doing it now as opposed to later might also help Mr. Short keep PalmDr alive and in business as well.
I am sure that he is struggling during this crisis like all small business owners are.

I for one am quite happy that this company was there to remedy the premature death of an expensive Sena.
In my opinion, it is to the benefit of us all having these types of businesses stick around, especially when the price is reasonable and the service is excellent.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Great write-up Andrew... concise and tight writing. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on this. I've got a Palm V and T3 that I've been thinking of getting repaired. I might just give him a shot.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've had similar experience with palm dr. Great service, quick, fair pricing and durable repairs.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Another happy customer here, I sent me 665LM to him a few years ago, the touchscreen stop responding. Quick turnaround, very fast to respond to emails and it's still working great.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
What is a plow controller? I know they use GPS's to steer combines and ag machinery in those huge tractors. Is this what he is talking about?
They run the snowplow on the front of trucks.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks for your post, Andrew. I sent the links for PalmDr. and your evaluation to a bunch of the guys in our BMW club.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I've sent a couple of gps's to him for repair. Fast, reasonably priced service. One thing though - observe the procedure on his website for submitting items to him and you'll be a lot better off than if you hadn't.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
One problem with the Sena 20S, is battery replacement. This sounds like a good place to go for that! :think1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
One problem with the Sena 20S, is battery replacement. This sounds like a good place to go for that!
I was curious about that since two YT vids said that exact battery is not available anywhere but Sena. So I think that's sitll 'not available anywhere' except maybe warranty work.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Great write-up Andrew... concise and tight writing. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Thanks Paul.
Maybe this review will be of use to someone else while at the same time helping out PalmDr.
I personally try to support smaller businesses because I think it is my advantage to have that option around.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
One problem with the Sena 20S, is battery replacement. This sounds like a good place to go for that!
I can't answer that question. My brother-in-law replaced the battery himself as a hail Mary repair attempt before we sent the Sena to PalmDr. so there was no need for them to bother with the battery.

I wasn't there, but my brother-in-law said that he had no trouble fitting the new battery. He said that it fit well and that it was actually not a big deal to do.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if PalmDr either had the batteries or could get them.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I can't answer that question. My brother-in-law replaced the battery himself as a hail Mary repair attempt before we sent the Sena to PalmDr. so there was no need for them to bother with the battery.

I wasn't there, but my brother-in-law said that he had no trouble fitting the new battery. He said that it fit well and that it was actually not a big deal to do.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if PalmDr either had the batteries or could get them.
Where did he get his battery from?

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Dan;
It was a battery from one of the vendors that were suggested in this thread.
I don't remember which one. I will ask my brother-in-law, but don't expect me to get back with an answer lickity split. He does not tend to check his emails to often.
As soon as I get an answer I will let you know.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
@The Dan

Dan:

My brother-in-law said that that he got the battery information for his Sena 20S from this video- Sena 20S Battery Replacement.
He found the battery on Amazon but does not keep a link to the specific vendor that he ordered it from.

He had to change the connector from the old battery to the new one. I read somewhere that there is a battery available that has the correct connector but I don't know where I saw that.

Maybe someone on here knows.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
@The Dan

Dan:

My brother-in-law said that that he got the battery information for his Sena 20S from this video- Sena 20S Battery Replacement.
He found the battery on Amazon but does not keep a link to the specific vendor that he ordered it from.

He had to change the connector from the old battery to the new one. I read somewhere that there is a battery available that has the correct connector but I don't know where I saw that.

Maybe someone on here knows.
Thanks, added to my repair stuff file.

Top Bottom