Pan Weave

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Owned my '07 ST1300 for about two months now. Love it! Just came across the "Pan Weave" issue. Don't plan on doing any high speed cruising, (I'm an under 100 mph rider) but would like to hear your thoughts on this anomaly. Looks like it's nothing to worry about if you use common sense - any high speed runs should be done with the wind screen down, light weight in the pans, no trunk and medium rear shock load. Thoughts...

Alan

Bike
2005 ST1300
Owned my '07 ST1300 for about two months now. Love it! Just came across the "Pan Weave" issue. Don't plan on doing any high speed cruising, (I'm an under 100 mph rider) but would like to hear your thoughts on this anomaly. Looks like it's nothing to worry about if you use common sense - any high speed runs should be done with the wind screen down, light weight in the pans, no trunk and medium rear shock load. Thoughts...

Alan
adjust your sag

Reactions: ATA

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
It appears to be a hit and miss thing. Some bikes experience it and others don't. Personally, I have not. Loaded, unloaded, triple digits, etc. seems to make no difference. Bike is planted. Setting the rear preload correctly seems to be the most useful thing to do to avoid it. Of course it gets buffeted around 18 wheelers but that is not the issue you are referring to. I think this got blown a bit out of proportion because some UK police bikes experienced it and subsequently the ST was taken out of service (IIRC) and of course, that made headlines. If you google "Honda Pan European st1300 weave" you will get way more reading that what you truly need or wished for.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I read one article that said Honda's factory of the ST would test ride each to see how much shims to put in the swingarm bearing area to prevent movement that causes " the weave ". Sounds like a "hit or miss" deal there & I wonder about future wear in the swingarm set up maybe causing it then ?

Bike
R1200rt
its a hit or miss,watch some moto gp and you will see that even with all the technology some bikes will get it while racing. There is nothing that guarantees you won't get it.

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 all above, wobble and weave is a natural phenomenon.
Track down the Murray Walker video on you tube to watch it in action, it's in association with Dunlop I think.
Never had it happen on a 13 but have on an 11. No fun at all but different tyres were the answer.
When it does happen it feels like someone's put a hinge in the middle of the frame.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
ATA

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've never had any problem with a loaded Pan - but I rarely go above legal speeds anyway. I've had a few runs into triple figures in continental Europe fully loaded, without any sign of problems - mine was an 06 model.

But I have noticed - the bike can be skittish if the rear suspension has too much pre-load - due to the quicker steering it creates
Having a top box without a pillion can be problematic as the eddy from the rider sideswipes the top box from alternate sides.
Having a pillion with a top box creates a much smoother airflow past the bike and top box - the bike is more stable with a pillion !
An aftermarket larger screen will certainly create more of an eddy behind the screen than the OEM screen.
Passing trucks into a headwind or when emerging from the lee side of a truck in a cross wind, I will ride out wide and then counter-steer across the lane through the bow wave to create a lean in towards the expected wind as I pass the cab. If there is a sudden gust from the side, already leaning into the wind makes it so much easier to handle.

Worn tyres, dodgy bearings, tyres not designed for heavier touring bikes (they can squish too much), inadequate damping, stiff or notched steering head bearings can all contribute to questionable handling. But I find the worse culprit can be the road surface - worn carriageways resulting in troughs in the wheel tracks; longitudinal ridges caused by the machines which prepare the road before resurfacing - these become exposed when the surface wears down and throw the bike all over the place.

If it is something you are concerned about - eliminate the problems that might have been introduced by a previous owner. Go back to OEM tyres for example. The OEM spec are the Bridgestone BT020 F rated tyres - although the T30 GT and T31 GT tyres have been tried, tested and approved by Bridgestone for use on the ST1300 and ride very nicely. One good thing about Bridgestone is that they test their tyres specifically on the Pans -1100 and 1300. Also check out the bearings and slacken the front axle and then tighten it up again following the correct procedure. Not everyone knows what it is.

But the 2007 shouldn't have any weave problems - the weave was reported around 2003/2004 and since then the models have had design changes and modifications to the way in which engine and swing arm are mounted and secured. Although no one is saying that the modifications were introduced to address that particular problem ! 'Weave' might be a misnomer. When the tests were carried out after the death of a policeman, the tester reported that it - began to "shake violently" while travelling at high speed .... making it uncontrollable.

Just suggesting that maybe there is a different explanation for what you have experienced.
Thanks for taking the time on that reply! My ST has 21,000 miles on it. well maintained and was fully checked and serviced by a reputable Honda mechanic. Also, I haven't experienced any 'weave' on it. Just looked like something I needed to learn as much as possible about. (this is definitely the place for ST knowledge!). Love the bike. I have new Michelin RT4 tires front and rear.
Thanks again for the input John!

OP
OP
ATA

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
BTW-thank you to all the comments on this from everyone! I'll try to reply to all eventually. Great forum, glad to be apart of the ST family!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had my 2005 overloaded one time, and hitting at about 110mph, I felt a slight weave. That was enough for me to back off. I'm sure the frontend was a bit lite with all the weight I had in the back (full saddlebags, topcase and extra two bags on my passenger saddle)

I've gone down on a frontend wobble @ 65mph. It hurt! Don't want to do it again! :oops:

Keep your speed down and you'll be just fine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATA

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
It appears to be a hit and miss thing. Some bikes experience it and others don't. Personally, I have not. Loaded, unloaded, triple digits, etc. seems to make no difference. Bike is planted. Setting the rear preload correctly seems to be the most useful thing to do to avoid it. Of course it gets buffeted around 18 wheelers but that is not the issue you are referring to. I think this got blown a bit out of proportion because some UK police bikes experienced it and subsequently the ST was taken out of service (IIRC) and of course, that made headlines. If you google "Honda Pan European st1300 weave" you will get way more reading that what you truly need or wished for.
Thanks drrod! Looks like several things come into play to minimize the possibility of encountering this. (tires, don't overload the rear, rear shock setting, windshield low at higher speeds). Like I posted, haven't had this issue. Just want to try to make sure I don't in the future. I've had it up to about 90 with no issues. I'm a much more restrained rider in my older years...59. Thanks again for the info!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Neither my St1100 or 1300 weave, but I've only had to keep up with traffic going 100+ twice. On trips, loaded with my wife on board.
But I did have it happen on my 1970 CB750. New front tire fixed that. Apparently a half worn down tire changed the geometry enough that the bike could shake pretty aggressively.

OP
OP
ATA

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
I was overloaded many times and at about 110mph indicated the dreaded wobble would occur. No problems as I don't need to travel at 110, albeit fun. :)
My overloading consisted of a large duffel bag that stuck out a couple of feet from the taillight.
I don't think you'll have any problems.
Take that '07 out for some nice long rides.
Roger the long rides! Just about to get some much needed cooler riding weather for some N GA mountain riding! Thanks for the input!

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Being non - committal here - it seems my 2007 when newish was ridden to 135 mph indicated ( the velocity compass was definitely pointing NE ) on original Bridgestone Battleaxe rubber by a 150 lb solo rider with nothing in the bags , windshield down etc. Stock bike - no weave experienced but it was only for a moment or two . The rider ( whoever it was ) was afraid to turn his head more than anything else while wearing a full coverage hat for it seems to be a neck wrenching sail when not looking straight ahead !

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Had the weave once. Was riding fully loaded with camp gear, shield down, going 110+ across Nevada. Backed off the gas, all was fine.

Bike
ST1300@2009
Experienced the weave once: 130mph + trunk + windshield up + bike fully loaded (panniers, trunk, medium bag in the rear seat).

What I thought was scary is that there was no warning: the bike was stable and suddenly started to weave side-to-side. Really scary!

Keep it under 120mph and you should be fine.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have never had any problems with my ST13 but had it with my old wing right after I bought it. At about 85 it would start to weave a little as I passed semis on the interstate. All it needed was proper service. I bought it from a women after her husband passed away. I found that the bearings on the swing arm where almost dry and the forks had to much fluid on one side and was low on the other. Greased the bearings and changed the fluid. The problem was solved.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I've never had any problem with a loaded Pan - but I rarely go above legal speeds anyway. I've had a few runs into triple figures in continental Europe fully loaded, without any sign of problems - mine was an 06 model.

But I have noticed - the bike can be skittish if the rear suspension has too much pre-load - due to the quicker steering it creates
Having a top box without a pillion can be problematic as the eddy from the rider sideswipes the top box from alternate sides.
Having a pillion with a top box creates a much smoother airflow past the bike and top box - the bike is more stable with a pillion !
An aftermarket larger screen will certainly create more of an eddy behind the screen than the OEM screen.
Passing trucks into a headwind or when emerging from the lee side of a truck in a cross wind, I will ride out wide and then counter-steer across the lane through the bow wave to create a lean in towards the expected wind as I pass the cab. If there is a sudden gust from the side, already leaning into the wind makes it so much easier to handle.

Worn tyres, dodgy bearings, tyres not designed for heavier touring bikes (they can squish too much), inadequate damping, stiff or notched steering head bearings can all contribute to questionable handling. But I find the worse culprit can be the road surface - worn carriageways resulting in troughs in the wheel tracks; longitudinal ridges caused by the machines which prepare the road before resurfacing - these become exposed when the surface wears down and throw the bike all over the place.

If it is something you are concerned about - eliminate the problems that might have been introduced by a previous owner. Go back to OEM tyres for example. The OEM spec are the Bridgestone BT020 F rated tyres - although the T30 GT and T31 GT tyres have been tried, tested and approved by Bridgestone for use on the ST1300 and ride very nicely. One good thing about Bridgestone is that they test their tyres specifically on the Pans -1100 and 1300. Also check out the bearings and slacken the front axle and then tighten it up again following the correct procedure. Not everyone knows what it is.

But the 2007 shouldn't have any weave problems - the weave was reported around 2003/2004 and since then the models have had design changes and modifications to the way in which engine and swing arm are mounted and secured. Although no one is saying that the modifications were introduced to address that particular problem ! 'Weave' might be a misnomer. When the tests were carried out after the death of a policeman, the tester reported that it - began to "shake violently" while travelling at high speed .... making it uncontrollable.

Just suggesting that maybe there is a different explanation for what you have experienced.
Hi could you outline the correct procedure for tightening the front axle please as I am a relatively new ST owner?
Regards
Eric

Top Bottom