Pannier key

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I have seen a few guys on here get keys made to use on the panniers and left fairing pocket. I would like to do the same, can someone tell me what key blank is used, the one place I tried to get one didn't have anything even close

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
They don't use the ignition key? :confused1:
They are making short keys with caps attached to use in panniers, it's too short to reach into the ignition and work, but works in left faring pocket and panniers, I need one because at work I park on dirt, I made a 4" dia. 1/8 thick aluminum plate (with paracord attached) to put under my side stand, but I store it in the left pocket, having to unlock it ever time is a PIA, this way I can leave key it it to open easy

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
They don't use the ignition key? :confused1:
All the locks open with the ignition key, but there are those that like to have extra keys made that can be placed in knobs and kept in the locks on the panniers and faring pocket. One reason is that if you had to jump-start the bike, you need the key to remove the left pannier. After getting started, you need the key to replace the pannier. It also makes it easy to get into these places. In my case, I keep my garage opener in the left fairing (locked) pocket. I can get to it while riding close to home without turning off the ignition. All the keys can be easily removed, for security reasons, when parked.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Gotcha. The way the question was phrased in the OP threw me.

It sounded like they didn't have keys. So, it's really about modifying duplicates.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
One reason is that if you had to jump-start the bike, you need the key to remove the left pannier.
This. Or just pulling over for a 'second' to grab something out of the pannier without shutting off the bike or as mentioned retrieve something out of a fair pocket while riding.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
This. Or just pulling over for a 'second' to grab something out of the pannier without shutting off the bike or as mentioned retrieve something out of a fair pocket while riding.
I normally carry two key rings, each with an ignition key and a trunk key.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Good reminder, @RichKat -- this is a convenience item(-s) I had meant to pursue shortly after getting my '08, but I got sidetracked with other pressing issues, and forgot.
There is an article somewhere here with some knobs used that were very inconspicuous (low-key, you might say) and easy to glue to the keys.
Normally in day-to-day riding, I don't keep much in the panniers of much value.
EDIT: and guess who was reading my mind as I typed that?
Thanks @Andrew Shadow !!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hond24P. or X265P

Here in the Uk, I was able to get a couple of these with steel blades rather than soft alloy. So these are used for pannier and when working in the garage as they dont have the HISS chip required for starting the bike.

Saves the wear and tear of the actual key alloy key - but they will start the bike if you lay the HISs fob beside it.
No such problem in USA

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
What I'm missing in all this, is how do the keys differentiate themselves for the locks? How does the saddlebag/fairing pocket key(s) not turn in the ignition.

I tried to go thru the old rights but I must have missed it.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
What I'm missing in all this, is how do the keys differentiate themselves for the locks? How does the saddlebag/fairing pocket key(s) not turn in the ignition.

The ignition needs the key to go a lot deeper in than the locks, but with a knob attached, key won't reach. Put your key in the ignition, then the lock, you'll see the difference

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #

The keys for all but the ignition are cut off shorter -- they will open locks on the bike, but they are not long enough to reach all the way into the ignition and thus won't start the bike.
Re-read where it is mentioned to fully insert the key in a pannier, mark it where it is flush with the lock, and put your cap next to it to determine where to cut the convenience key.
Once cut, it won't go into the ignition fully so it can't be used to start the motor.
EDIT: I need to learn to use fewer words... thanks @RichKat .

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Ahh... got it guys. Thanks!
"So simple it's genius!"

Re-read where it is mentioned to fully insert the key in a pannier, mark it where it is flush with the lock, and put your cap next to it to determine where to cut the convenience key.
Yeah, I must've glossed over that part.

This has been annoying me as well. I generally don't use the fairing box much but I'm currently on a long trip and find myself using it repeatedly. Would have been nice to have for the trip.

Last edited:
@RichKat, I have extra "shorty" key knobs I can send you. You will still need the keys that have been cut off short to insert into the knobs. These are old Radio Shack knobs that were on my ST1300. They have a very small set screw to attach the shorty key, pretty solid. You could still glue the key in if you like. The shorty keys are very convenient. Pics attached.IMG_1162.JPGIMG_1163.JPGIMG_1164.JPGIMG_1165.JPG

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The most factory looking knobs that I have seen are radio knobs from a Goldwing
I've got these. They're just waiting for the keys and epoxy. These don't use a setscrew and I'd prefer it. IIRC they have the D shape metal insert and are push on pull off. But they'll do if I ever get round to it.

Here in the Uk, I was able to get a couple of these with steel blades rather than soft alloy
On this side I don't know if you can even get soft alloy blanks unless you order "genuine Honda" bits. Nobody wants that.

This is one of those Hatfield - McCoy farkles. If you leave the keys in someone will certainly empty your bags or take them completely. Others like the convenience of opening a bag without turning off the bike or even taking their gloves off. No removing the IGN key no digging for a spare. The point has been made about jumping your bike.

There are workarounds for the latter. A heavy duty jumper cable with an Anderson connector like Sup has or even a POS + remote terminal under the seat.

Bottom line - often modifications and/or practices may mean trading some security for convenience. Ya do what you can live with.

Top Bottom