Part Number for SMC - 1300A

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
SO many brake threads here!
What is Honda's part number for our beloved and maligned Secondary Master Cylinder?
As an aside - is this the same thing as the "Proportioning Control Valve"?
I've already spoken with @Igofar earlier this month about this, but neglected to obtain the actual P/N.
Need to order one now; I'll order a rebuild kit (what's that part number, anyway?) later, just to have one and take my time with the original, which I'll replace. Then I'll have a spare, which I will NEVER need, because I'll keep the new one properly maintained!
Lastly, for US-based riders, is Ron Ayers still the suggested go-to?
Thanks to all.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Cool!
I'm still on the phone with the local Honda parts dude, who has no idea how to look it up.
Guessing this part will work on the 2008?
This group (AND @dduelin ) is AWESOME!
EDIT: still on the phone *sigh* - thanks @Ryan_B !!

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Good luck! If you would like to see the page I found the part number, please click the link. It is part number "2" if I read correctly:

Also, I am sure others will chime in. But what I can gather from reading through posts and talking with Igofar, it is difficult to rebuild the SMC or impossible if the return passage is plugged.

Ryan

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cool!
I'm still on the phone with the local Honda parts dude, who has no idea how to look it up.
Guessing this part will work on the 2008?
This group (AND @dduelin ) is AWESOME!
EDIT: still on the phone *sigh* - thanks @Ryan_B !!
I’m glad Ryan gave the 2008 p/n. I didn’t see a year originally and I defaulted to the year of my ST.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks, Ryan. I've read and read and read, beginning WAY before today.
But for a "standby", I think I could clear the passages if clogged, but for $25 it's an affordable option - I'll research some more to recall what ELSE is required besides the rebuild kit itself.
Everywhere I've called thus far, even going up to Tennessee, have none in stock. SO they are all sitting out in CA somewhere, and all the actual parts departments at dealers have to order them. Ron Ayers is actually more expensive than Sloan's in Murfreesboro, TN, and I really like them.
But I've texted Ron Ayers (they don't have anyone to answer the phones - thanks, COVID!) to see if it's in stock in NC. Shipping from there should be a short hop to Birmingham.
I DON'T WANNA WAIT 2 DANG WEEKS TO RIDE!!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Make sure what model year your bike is - the change to the SMC and left caliper bracket happened with the 2008 model. That is not to say that a bike that was bought new in 2008 is not actually a 2006 model. Check the label on the frame under the seat.

To be sure - the 2006 model calipers are in two halves, joined with 3 hefty bolts - the heads can be seen from the inside - looking through the bike wheel. Also - they have a hex bolt head for the pad pin - rather than the hex allen socket that the 2006 pad pin has.

The issue with a rebuild kit is that if the SMC has stopped working properly, you don't know that it is the piston and seals that have caused the problem. It could be corrosion of the bore, uneven wear of the bore, or the SMC could have been knocked slightly out of shape by a bit of careless parking. And when you get the kit, you have the hassle of trying to get the kit fitted in the bore, remembering to apply silicone grease the the relevant parts and to fit the circlip without twisting it - which is exceptionally difficult with the bracket for the fork leg bolt still in place. A new bracket is a whole lot less hassle.

You've probably seen this page - but if not, take a look. The cutaway SMC had been causing problems 2 years earlier. A kit was bought and fitted, and he still had problems. He ended up replacing it, and sent me the faulty SMC to dissect. I am not trying to convince you either way. Just saying that you may be lucky with a kit, but you may not be lucky. The full caliper bracket solves everything and future proofs the bike.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I totally get what you're saying, John.
But as I have just now ordered the NEW part from Ron Ayers, I'll replace the whole kit assembly, and that will leave me with an UN-mounted SMC to play with (the original one), so it will be just an exercise. And for roughly $25, I could well have a working spare.
I bought this one with low-low miles, but it had been largely sitting for about 4 years. No damage to the component, but likely some sludge or just old fluid.
But you DO make a good point, as @Igofar has mentioned elsewhere, this 2008 *may* use the older, left-lying-around parts, OR the newer SMC with the new springs and all. I'll check that now to be sure.
No hurry on this, but does anyone have the part number for the REBUILD KIT for the 2008? Thanks again!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I totally get what you're saying, John.
But as I have just now ordered the NEW part from Ron Ayers, I'll replace the whole kit assembly, and that will leave me with an UN-mounted SMC to play with (the original one), so it will be just an exercise. And for roughly $25, I could well have a working spare.
I bought this one with low-low miles, but it had been largely sitting for about 4 years. No damage to the component, but likely some sludge or just old fluid.
But you DO make a good point, as @Igofar has mentioned elsewhere, this 2008 *may* use the older, left-lying-around parts, OR the newer SMC with the new springs and all. I'll check that now to be sure.
No hurry on this, but does anyone have the part number for the REBUILD KIT for the 2008? Thanks again!
PISTON SET, SECOND MASTER CYLINDER
45620-MCS-R02
Retail Price: $63.00
Your Price: $46.78
This is the part number for the rebuild kit for a 2008 ST1300 that you requested.
Rebuild/Repair the old one at your own risk.
The C-Clip is directional, and the sharp edge needs to be facing outwards.
You'll also want to measure the distance of the yolk before you take it apart, as you don't have a whole lot of room for error to get it working correctly.
To be safe, I would err on the side of safety and replace the entire unit as an assembly, using new crush washers also.

Top Bottom