Passenger floorboards - who has used any on an ST1300?

Bike
'08 ST1300
I'm thinking of getting some Kuryakyn mini boards for the rear. It looks like adaptor 8808 (or 8889) and board 7611 (or 7613) would be a pretty sweet set up for about $120.

Has anyone put rear boards on?

I'm thinking of getting some Kuryakyn mini boards for the rear. It looks like adaptor 8808 (or 8889) and board 7611 (or 7613) would be a pretty sweet set up for about $120.

Has anyone put rear boards on?
If you're the adventurous type, would you like to make your own? Some time ago some one posted how to do it.

Attachments

• Make Your Own Passenger Floorboards_1a.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 74
I'd like a bike with floorboards for the driver-rider. They were great on my GL1000.

My wife wanted floorboards for her feet, and I couldn't find anything ready made, so my brother and I made adaptors and used Honda Goldwing passenger floor boards. They fold up just like the footpegs.

1cR5cvO.jpg

3G0jH8U.jpg

aosT5Bh.jpg

KfLOpuX.jpg

Last edited:
My wife wanted floorboards for her feet, and I couldn't find anything ready made, so my brother and I made adaptors and used Honda Goldwing passenger floor boards. They fold up just like the footpegs.

1cR5cvO.jpg

3G0jH8U.jpg

aosT5Bh.jpg

KfLOpuX.jpg

I like this!! Looks like it came from Honda with them installed!! Any technical info you can pass along - measurements, diagrams, etc? My wife will love this mod!
I would even be interested in buying a set of adapters from you!! PM if that would be possible! I could get them from you if you're going to the RTE at Der Dutchman April 28.

Last edited:
Grandlung, I'm afraid I don't have any dimensional info for you. We made them 11 years ago. If I remember correctly we used 1/4" flat stock and 3/4" square bar stock. Drilled holes to match the Gold wing floor boards in the flat stock and a hole for the footpeg pin in the square stock, and welded them up after holding them up to the stock peg location. I would think any competent welder type guy could fabricate them for you. Pick up the goldwing passeger floorboards first though. I could take one off and maybe get some dimensions for you.

Nah that's ok. I'll pick up some Goldwing floorboards and go from there. Thanks for sharing the photos - really great idea!!

WOW that is a super clean farkle. You could pass that off as a factory option. I take it the install is strong enough that a pillion could mount (as most tend to do) by first stepping up on the floorboard?

WOW that is a super clean farkle. You could pass that off as a factory option. I take it the install is strong enough that a pillion could mount (as most tend to do) by first stepping up on the floorboard?

I guess, but my wife has had both knees replaced (and a hip) and she mounts by standing on my peg and getting on like I would, then sliding back onto the passenger seat. Then I get on. Kind of backwards from the way most people mount.

I'd like a bike with floorboards for the driver-rider. They were great on my GL1000.
GUI, do you know if the GL1000 rear pegs we're sort of hybrid peg/boards, where the board fitted over the peg? Thinking about seeing if they might go on the 11? Thanks in advance.
Upt'North.

do you know if the GL1000 rear pegs we're sort of hybrid peg/boards,

My memory is that the rear pegs were just pegs. There were two manufacturers that had boards that fit onto the pegs. I had one pair and don't know who made them.

I don't remember how make my driver/rider floorboards.

Thanks matey, that explains the ones I have seen for sale second hand.
Once I get mine in one piece ( top hose change ) I'll see about trying to sort some out. Although I think riding it may prove more important for now.
Thanks again.
Upt'North.

Went ahead and pulled one of the floorboards, and took some pics and measurements, so adding some more pics which may help someone

UXr9biP.jpg

ELYTsqI.jpg

a6nSRJL.jpg

KQU3ihE.jpg

1iaY89V.jpg

s8DOHVt.jpg

hZKmUtz.jpg

Pick up the Gold Wing passeger floorboards first though. I could take one off and maybe get some dimensions for you.

Ferret - these are a brilliant design and adaptation - very very nice indeed. I am normally solo so I doubt I’d ever need floorboards, but if I did, I’d grab your idea chop-chop!! :bow1:

At Christmas I rented a H-D Road Glide in Arizona and I found the floor boards a little odd at first, but I got used to them. The biggest issue came when stopping - I had to remember to swing my boots out further to get them to the ground before the whole assembly came to a halt and capsized. :rolleyes:

As a person who designs and builds things, I also want to support Ferret’s suggestion to buy the GL boards FIRST and then make the little adapter brackets. You’d never get them right without the mating part on-hand. Also, he is dead right about any good welder being able to whip up a set for you - given the dimensions. Ferret, it was great that you were able to provide the approx. dimensions - and everyone note that there will be a LEFT HAND side bracket and a RIGHT HAND side bracket and they will NOT be the same. Don't ask me how I know about making LH and RH side stuff like this....:(

Finally, on the question of strength, I did a little math and frankly, small pieces of steel, MIG welded together will wind up as a very strong and stiff assembly. There will be no concern about strength in this application. The fasteners will fail long before that weld would be of any concern.

Pete

Last edited:
Ferret what year are your floorboards from? I just want to make sure I get something that will work well.
Do you think these would work?

FleaBay Floorboards

Looks like that ebay ad is selling the floor board only - not the assembly (less his home made steel bracket) shown in Ferret's pictures. Note the pivoting piece that bolts to his 'adapter'. This part allows the board to pivot down or fold up while his steel arm stays in the down position.

Back
Top Bottom