PCX 160 (aka GoldWing Mini)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If this was posted before I missed it. A walkaround of the 2023 Honda New 160cc Goldwing Edition PCX 160 from possibly from the 2023 Tokyo Motorcycle Show. Not a lot of info on the bike and it may never hit the US (just a guess) but I like the look. Too bad it's not 600cc or so. I can't tell if this is a production or concept bike and if there is some eBike aspect of machine.

But there could be another GoldWing in my future!

[edit] Ok there's a whole PCX lineup that I was heretofore unfamiliar with. But if this comes to pass on US shores it might find a parking space near me.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I saw a video about this a few days back. I do like it and apparently, it can hit 64 or 65 mph at the rev limiter. For some people, it may be a perfectly reasonable around town bike, or even a decent touring bike (and from the videos I’ve seen, the engine is quite smooth for a single). I cannot understand why in the UK and everywhere except for the US, they sell scooters that are a 350 or 750 (Forza) versus just a 150 or 160 cc bike here in the US (the PCX). I currently have a Silverwing 600 which is actually a very good highway bike. It could actually be a tour bike if you wanted it to be. Somehow, I think there is a stigma associated with riding a scooter, and I don’t quite understand it. When I’m on the Silverwing, other bikers still wave, as if I was on one of the ST’s, so it really doesn’t seem to matter to them and I don’t really care if they wave to me or not. It’s actually a very practical bike as well since it has a large storage area under the seat and last night I bought a Givi mount plate for the Silverwing for my top box which is currently on the ST but I could switch it between the ST and the SilverWing as well as wire the silver wing so that the tail lights on the top box work as they do when the box is on the ST.

rjs here on the board purchased a Kymko AF 550 and I saw that at my local dealership which is very nice (and a decent size). The old days of scooters, looking well, kind of geeky, seem to be over, and a lot of the new scooters have an appearance of a typical motorcycle, except for the recess where you climb through the frame, instead of throwing your leg over the bike. It’s a nice twist and go operation of the throttle. Nowhere near as quick as the ST but definitely can stay out of harms way. It’s nice to be able to switch off between the scooter and the STs. I can’t really say I prefer one over the other except to say I really enjoy all 3 of them.
i’m still (relatively), young, so the ST‘s are perfect for me however, in the future, if I become a little weaker and unable to handle the ST’s (and I expect that to be a long time away) the scooter may be perfect because it’s a nice lightweight vehicle to handle with a low center of gravity.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Scooters are not appreciated here in the states. My wife and I had a pair of Yamaha Majesty 400's. Freeway legal. They were awesome. Would run 90 mph. My wife decided not to ride anymore and I traded one in on a quad with snowblade for the drive and the other on my FJR. A couple years ago when my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride pillion I decided to get rid of the FJR. I wanted another maxi scooter but neither Honda nor Yamaha were bringing them into the states so I ended up with the next best thing a Honda NC750x with the DCT trans. Been a good bike. Should turn over 26,000 miles on mine this week.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Scooters are not appreciated here in the states. My wife and I had a pair of Yamaha Majesty 400's. Freeway legal. They were awesome. Would run 90 mph. My wife decided not to ride anymore and I traded one in on a quad with snowblade for the drive and the other on my FJR. A couple years ago when my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride pillion I decided to get rid of the FJR. I wanted another maxi scooter but neither Honda nor Yamaha were bringing them into the states so I ended up with the next best thing a Honda NC750x with the DCT trans. Been a good bike. Should turn over 26,000 miles on mine this week.

Those Majestys are VERY nice. I’m a fan of the NC750x as well. Maybe one day when the STs are too heavy for me, but they’re good for me now.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Those Majestys are VERY nice. I’m a fan of the NC750x as well. Maybe one day when the STs are too heavy for me, but they’re good for me now.
Well, that's kind of where I'm at. My wife no longer wants to travel by motorcycle. we've ridden all over the US, Canada and Europe. I'll be 73 in a few weeks, she just turned 71. Figured I didn't need a 650 lb, 150 hp motorcycle anymore for my daily rides. I'll still take a few trips but nothing coast to coast and nothing the NC can't handle.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It looks like most of the feet in the background of that video are wearing sandals. And the floor looks terrible. It does not look like a floor would be featured in the Tokyo motor show. Those observations lead me to believe that it is a release video in an Asian market and I don’t think will ever see something like that in the US. Honda can barely sell $3500 PCX 150s now so I don’t know how they would sell an upscale premium scooter.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Scooter or no, any model that small in displacement is an affront to the GoldWing community.
Or it *should* be, and I've never even owned one yet.
I can see the Silver Wing moniker, but they should not incorporate "Wing" anything for this machine.
Unless it's Pine Wing, Styrofoam Wing, Tinfoil Wing or similar.
That's a personal view.
Now, from a marketing view, Honda is undoing 50 years of branding, which takes time, consistency and effort, so in that regard alone, they're making a mistake.
Imagine someone who has never heard of or seen a GoldWing, experiencing this as their first exposure to a "Wing."
Marketing is all about perception, so in this way sends a confusing, disjointed message.
Not that I will lose a minute's sleep over it.
It's just wrong, on several levels.
I'll bring it up at our team meeting tomorrow. No one else in the company rides motorcycles, so this will be a good topic.

goddess-athena

STarbuck
Bike
2007 ST1300
It reminds me reminds me of the Honda Pacific Coast, with just a newest "edgy" design, which appears on they cars as well. I would say that the PC was a little more rounded, but still looked like a scooter. When I owned a PC, people thought it was a scooter...not hardly! Regardless, I would only get this if I were planning on riding around town. I don't think touring on a bike with this few CC's would be any fun.

Bike
2006 ST1300
To be fair, the PC was supposed to be a scooterified - or more accurately, carified - touring motorbike. Keep all the mucky bits under covers, make it more useable for luggage and less of a chore to ride in poorer weather.

I saw someone who was touring around Scotland years ago quite capably on the Honda Varadero 125, and, hang it all, people like Lois Price and Noraly the Itchy Boots lady both use small capacity bikes, though not scooters. Part of the adventure aspect of touring is getting by without the kitchen sink. ;) This new PCX would look better in black; in white it looks like a Stormtrooper who works in a hairdresser's salon.

goddess-athena

STarbuck
Bike
2007 ST1300
To be fair, the PC was supposed to be a scooterified - or more accurately, carified - touring motorbike. Keep all the mucky bits under covers, make it more useable for luggage and less of a chore to ride in poorer weather.

I saw someone who was touring around Scotland years ago quite capably on the Honda Varadero 125, and, hang it all, people like Lois Price and Noraly the Itchy Boots lady both use small capacity bikes, though not scooters. Part of the adventure aspect of touring is getting by without the kitchen sink. ;)
I don't need the kitchen sink, I just like a few amenities. I also like a motorcycle or car that can get out of it's own way. With all that bodywork, it's carrying around an extra 50lbs that it doesn't need, let alone aerodynamics. It's a big sail in a good wind. I don't care how many angles you stick on that bodywork. Honda can do better!

goddess-athena

STarbuck
Bike
2007 ST1300
Scooter or no, any model that small in displacement is an affront to the GoldWing community.
Or it *should* be, and I've never even owned one yet.
I can see the Silver Wing moniker, but they should not incorporate "Wing" anything for this machine.
Unless it's Pine Wing, Styrofoam Wing, Tinfoil Wing or similar.
That's a personal view.
Now, from a marketing view, Honda is undoing 50 years of branding, which takes time, consistency and effort, so in that regard alone, they're making a mistake.
Imagine someone who has never heard of or seen a GoldWing, experiencing this as their first exposure to a "Wing."
Marketing is all about perception, so in this way sends a confusing, disjointed message.
Not that I will lose a minute's sleep over it.
It's just wrong, on several levels.
I'll bring it up at our team meeting tomorrow. No one else in the company rides motorcycles, so this will be a good topic.
I kind of reminds me of what they did to the Mustang and has anyone seen what they are doing to the Corvette?? I realize the concept of keeping a brand name alive. However, it seems like this one is going to need life support, just before they kill it because the bastardized version ends up being a Nightmare on Elm St.

I've had all sorts of bikes (mostly because of age progression and change of riding style) over the 50+ years of riding.

Motocross bikes == yes
Dual sport == yes
Hypersport == yes
Sport touring == yes
Stationwagon touring == yes (Gold Wing)

A lightweight, baggage-oriented scooter type bike has always been at the back of my mind.

And at my current physical reduction (and age), I'd strongly consider this (though it may not hit the US).

PS - I can't stand AI-generated speech audio, as there is always inaudible glitches

Bike
2006 ST1300
As a former scooter owner, ( Honda Helix, 250cc), I'd own one of these if they had a few more CC's. The Helix was great on back roads, taking wife to work, running for groceries, running errands, and even carrying tools to do small jobs. However, it was too slow to do serious highway miles, which are a necessity around here. I sold my Helix, and bought an NC700X, to get some longer legs.
My sister has a 600cc SilverWing, which I like, but, it gets horrendous gas mileage. When wife and I ride two up on the ST, it gets about the same mileage as the SilverWing. The NC700X actually outdoes the Helix in terms of gas mileage- about 69 MPG, in mixed highway/back roads driving, about 20 % two up.

PS - I can't stand AI-generated speech audio, as there is always inaudible glitches
How do you know? :confused1:
That it's AI-generated? It seems obvious to me - I listened to a couple more videos (for the bike coverage, not to confirm my thinking /opinion).

Mis-chosen words (vs script) mechanical voice (zero emotion), no emphasis, odd pauses, ... heck, it even pronounces the site oddly (Motoscoop), saying "scope" vs "scoop".

Top Bottom