Petcock rebuild

Bike
2001 ST1100
Just had to take the petcock valve out before a long trip as it was causing problems and turns out it has a tear.

any suggestions on a decent rebuild kit to order?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Rebuilt mine with a K & L kit this summer and it failed again within 300 miles. Forget K & L, or forget the rebuild entirely and remove it. I know it is a safety feature, should the bike go down and fuel keeps pumping without it, but if my '96 burned up in a blaze after a crash, it wouldn't make much difference to the insurance payout on such an old bike anyway.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Yea - One of the first things i did,
after getting the 1100, was pull & bypass
that fuel cutoff valve. No trouble at all.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
+207,637,922,346... or thereabouts. Not sure the exact number of people who have bypassed it but that’s probably conservative, is my guess.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
BTW / FYI : I have a low pressure automotive fuel pump and am using a check valve between the fuel pump outlet and the carbs. If I crash and I'm under the bike, I may appreciate the job the check valve does after I get to the cut-off switch, if the bank angle switch fails.

You can never be too careful or do too much PM.

OP
OP
Bike
2001 ST1100
Thanks for all your input. I have had it removed for about 7000km with no issue, but if a rebuild was going to be both reasonably priced and last a long time, I would do it. It sounds like the rebuilds are worse than the original.

By a number of reports over the years, this is supposed to be a better fit than the K&L version. FWIW

John
John,
I came to this
Rebuilt mine with a K & L kit this summer and it failed again within 300 miles. Forget K & L, or forget the rebuild entirely and remove it. I know it is a safety feature, should the bike go down and fuel keeps pumping without it, but if my '96 burned up in a blaze after a crash, it wouldn't make much difference to the insurance payout on such an old bike anyway.
Bush,
The fuel cock on my ST1100 is leaking and I was researching for a repair kit and noticed your post about removing it entirely.
Did you just join the 2 pipes together?
If so, how did you join them?

Regards,
Graham Watson

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
John,
I came to this

Bush,
The fuel cock on my ST1100 is leaking and I was researching for a repair kit and noticed your post about removing it entirely.
Did you just join the 2 pipes together?
If so, how did you join them?

Regards,
Graham Watson
You simply connect the fuel filter directly to the hose going to the carbs - the one leading out of the fuel cut off valve to the carbs.

You will also need to securely plug the vacuum hose going to the valve.

You simply connect the fuel filter directly to the hose going to the carbs - the one leading out of the fuel cut off valve to the carbs.

You will also need to securely plug the vacuum hose going to the valve.
Bush,
Once again, thanks and also to John.
I never noticed a leak but I could smell gas fumes but ignored it and many people also noticed and passed comment.
This p.m. after starting the bike for the 1st time after the water pump rebuild, I could see the leak.
That was probably the reason why fuel consumption had increased by about 10%!

Regards,
Graham Watson

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Been running all 4 of my ST1100s (3 of them for over 100,000 miles) without one. I figure if one of them gets turned upside down, I've got bigger issues to be concerned about … :biggrin: IIRC, one of the screws that comes off the mounting bracket is just about a perfect fit for plugging the vacuum line.

Been running all 4 of my ST1100s (3 of them for over 100,000 miles) without one. I figure if one of them gets turned upside down, I've got bigger issues to be concerned about … :biggrin: IIRC, one of the screws that comes off the mounting bracket is just about a perfect fit for plugging the vacuum line.
Uncle Phil,
Thanks for that info.
I can’t wait to stick that screw up th’hole!
P.S. forgive me but IIRC, I dont know what it means.
Regards,
Graham Watson

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
This p.m. after starting the bike for the 1st time after the water pump rebuild, I could see the leak.
That was probably the reason why fuel consumption had increased by about 10%!
While you're thinking about it, pull the #3 spark plug and see if its fouled. Depending on how your valve failed you may have had raw fuel going into the #3 cylinder through the vacuum line attached to the valve, which eventually fouls the plug, and may also explain your increase in fuel consumption.

Dwalby,
Thanks for the tip!
For quite some time there was a smell of gas which I didn’t investigate too closely and other people commented about it.
Occasionally, I do a gas mileage check and my bike returns 48/49 mpg on average but dropped to 42 of late but I put it down to age and wear (183,000 miles).
After repairing the water pump and overhauling the forks, I didn’t put all the plastic parts back on and started the bike and I could see fuel dripping from the petcock which then prompted me to do research on its replacement.
This leak is not consistent, as after a few seconds it stopped but I now know the petcock needs replacing
At this stage, with no plastic on the bike, I shall do what you recommend.
I may even treat the bike to new plugs———that would probably double the value of my bike!
It’s a great bike and after 20 yrs of ownership, I still love it.
I would like to thank you for your advice.

Regards,
Graham Watson

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
For quite some time there was a smell of gas which I didn’t investigate too closely and other people commented about it.

This leak is not consistent, as after a few seconds it stopped but I now know the petcock needs replacing
they can fail without actually leaking fuel externally. The diaphragm gets a tear and fuel leaks through the diaphragm and into the vacuum line that normally activates the diaphragm (when its not torn and can hold a vacuum). The symptom is a strong gas smell, but usually when the bike is parked after shutting it off. Particularly noticeable if parked in a garage.

when you saw fuel dripping from the petcock I assume you mean from the split in the two halves of the petcock, not from the fuel line connections, right??

they can fail without actually leaking fuel externally. The diaphragm gets a tear and fuel leaks through the diaphragm and into the vacuum line that normally activates the diaphragm (when its not torn and can hold a vacuum). The symptom is a strong gas smell, but usually when the bike is parked after shutting it off. Particularly noticeable if parked in a garage.

when you saw fuel dripping from the petcock I assume you mean from the split in the two halves of the petcock, not from the fuel line connections, right??
Dwalby,
You’re exactly right ——-when I came to a stop in my garage the gas smell was very strong and also if parked on the street after a ride, a strong smell.
I have only seen the drip one time (of course it can’t be seen whilst the fairings etc. are on) but it appeared to be coming from the joint and not the fuel lines.
I don’t mean 1 drip——a lot of drips.
I was going to replace it (at $142) but a couple of guys said that it is a safety device if the bike is down (maybe in a wreck type scenario) and they told me that it could be by-passed and that is what my intention is rather than spend $142.
So, if you hear of a rider who was burned to death in a fiery wreck, it could be me!

Thanks for your help,
Graham Watson

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
So, if you hear of a rider who was burned to death in a fiery wreck, it could be me!
FWIW, as others have said before, a good percentage of the ST1100s still on the road have that valve bypassed, so you'll likely be part of the majority, not the minority.

I crashed 3 years ago, but can't remember for sure if I had the valve bypassed then or not. I crashed in late Sep '16, and on Nov 8 '16 I posted here about having bypassed the valve "a few months ago", so I think it was bypassed.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Add some yellow (gas line)Teflon tape to the screw. :)

Top Bottom