Phone charger

Need some input from those that have been there done that. I want to mount a cigarette plug near my handle bars on my St1300 so I can charge my phone while riding. The honda dealer said they would splice my harness and mount a plug for me but I am not sure if this is the best method. Is there a plug and play option as I am not a fan of hacking into existing wires. What have you all done to accommodate the need for power supply

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Get a quad harness, or you can connect into the existing harness plug with spade connectors for fused power.
a cigarette lighter plug mounts nicely in the left side panel below the storage pocket.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
I will google quad harness and see what that is. I would like to have a couple charging points if possible

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I ran a wiring harness back to the battery. It was some work running the harness through the frame, but no splicing required.

v8-7

Site Supporter
My 2nd 12v outlet is under the seat . Lots of room there to charge a phone or your Sena and have it out of sight .

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I ran a cord to the trunk. Tucked under the seat it comes out right behind the pillion. Put a flush mount SAE connector in the floor area of the trunk. That way it can be disconnected when not needed or I want to pop off the topbox.

Inside the topbox then there is room for multiple things to be charging, secure and reasonable cool.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Walmart used to sell an inexpensive cigarette lighter with a spring loaded cover made for boating. It was less than $10 and was reasonably waterproof - I never had a problem despite lots of time in rain. Even though the phone charger needs little juice, I'd run new wires back to the battery. That way, no splicing but even more importantly, you'll have lots of power should you decide to run something like heated gear or an electric air pump.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Because you'll eventually want to add more outlets, I'd suggest to pick up the $9.99 Bussman 6-fuse block from Autozone or similar, put it under the seat. Heavy gauge and beefy fuse between it and the battery, and fuse appropriately to any outlet runs you want from there. There are more expensive options, but they all deliver the same 12.5-14 volts when all is said and done, and your wiring will be better quality than the stock harness.

Top Bottom