Pirelli Sport Demon Sport Touring Rear Tire as a front on Double Dark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Got my Pirelli mounted up, was a big pain, but it's on there.
The tire has a full 1/4" trad dept in the center, minus 1/32 on the sides.
This is the tallest tire you could possibly fit on the front of an ST. My fender had to be greased up to get it back through. The brake host fitting on the right side had to be loosened and moved to slide the fender back through.

The tire:
tire.jpg

I like the look of the tread, seems to have plenty of clearance for evacuating water and debris. It does not have a continuous center section, so I hope I don't feel a buzz like I did with the Michelin Activ. I was noticing a slight bit of rub. I attributed it to the tall teats left over from the molding process hitting the Fender Extender. I made sure my screws were filed flat where they poked through the fender so no chance of contacting the tire. Figure the teats will scrub off soon enough.
Took it for a ride.

Smooth, well planted, did hit a little bit of rain, still felt confident. All seems good.
Do hear a little scuffing noise as I slow the bike down.

Back in the garage, pull the front fender.

The scuffing noise is genuine. The Fender extender is now custom formed around the tire.
fender tail.jpg

The teets and the center ridge flashing from molding are harder then I imagine. They customized the top inside of my fender:
fender middle.jpg

So with the dremel and and on of their mean looking little tungsten carbide bits I quickly scrub off the center flashing and all the teats.

The tire is staying on.. but I do not recommend other ST-Owners give it a try.

Last edited:
Well after two days and 1400 miles I have the tire scrubbed.

Two more things of note:
1) Tire runs cooler than the Activ Sport. My Activ would normally be about 30 deg. F over ambient. This tire is averaging about 20 over ambient.
2) Regarding fender clearance issues... do not ride across a gravel lot when you are cutting it close on clearance. DAMHIKT!

Well after two days and 1400 miles I have the tire scrubbed.

Two more things of note:
1) Tire runs cooler than the Activ Sport. My Activ would normally be about 30 deg. F over ambient. This tire is averaging about 20 over ambient.
2) Regarding fender clearance issues... do not ride across a gravel lot when you are cutting it close on clearance. DAMHIKT!

Those rocks are a bear to get out!! :(

Those rocks are a bear to get out!! :(

Naw... not really. But getting them out will leave dents in your fender extender if you do it the auto extraction method.

Probably will be ordering a new one of those shortly.

Okay.. must say that as far as mileage... nothing special out of the Pirelli.

10,200 miles later and I am half way through the tread. Started at 1/4" and I am now at 1/8"

Well.. actually I guess I have less then 1/8" if you figure in a 2/32" needed for safe tread.
So now I am definitely not happy with life in regards to mileage... but it does have great traction! :burnout

Okay.. must say that as far as mileage... nothing special out of the Pirelli.

10,200 miles later and I am half way through the tread. Started at 1/4" and I am now at 1/8"

Well.. actually I guess I have less then 1/8" if you figure in a 2/32" needed for safe tread.
So now I am definitely not happy with life in regards to mileage... but it does have great traction! :burnout

With a CT the front tires do wear faster.

Top Bottom