Bike
2004 ST1300A
Greetings!

I'm about to do some maint. on my 2004 ST 1300A:
  • clean up brake pistons and new brake pads front and back
  • replace two O-rings in the back along with clean + replace moly goop
  • I'm having a shop mount and balance the Shinko Verge 011 tires I have

I own a front stand from these folks: https://www.pit-bull.com/
along with "pin #4" which they claim will fit this model.

It works by placing the "pin" in the steering stem tube and it brings the front into the air a good bit. It's off the centerstand (barely) and is balanced pretty well on the stand and the rear tire. I do have to move one of the brake lines out of the way a bit, but only a little bit and only to get the pin and collar past the lines. After that the brake line is under a little tension but not much.

Does anybody know of any reason why I should NOT use this? I plan on doing the work sometime this week, weather cooperating.

When I do tire/brake service on the front of Blue STar,,, I just put an old scissor jack under the front of the oil pan. This easily lifts the front wheel about half inch off the floor,,, which is all I need to get the job done. To service the back,,, I don't need anything in terms of a lift/jack/stand. Not sure which stand you are pointing to on the Pitbull page ?? Cat'

When I do tire/brake service on the front of Blue STar,,, I just put an old scissor jack under the front of the oil pan. This easily lifts the front wheel about half inch off the floor,,, which is all I need to get the job done. To service the back,,, I don't need anything in terms of a lift/jack/stand. Not sure which stand you are pointing to on the Pitbull page ?? Cat'

That's another option, however I don't own a scissors jack (or any jack) but I do already own this.
They don't make the model I have (I bought it a long time ago) but the closest one is this:

Seems to me to be a limited use, rather expensive tool, considering how cheap the screw type (scissor) motorcycle lifts or screw jacks are. I use a mini floor hydraulic jack from HF that cost about $35 when I need to jack up the front of the bike. As soon as the bike is in position, I place blocks of wood under the bike's oil pan and relax the hydraulics onto the wood. And this jack has been useful for other, non motorcycle tasks. As I get older, I am trying to get away from single use tools.

@SMSW You are not wrong. However, when I bought it (10 years ago?) neither of my bikes were especially conducive to using something under the belly pan. I also spent some time today and built (out of wood) a very solid and correctly dimensioned platform to rest the oil pan on. I haven't decided which I'll use.

Thanks to everybody's responses!

There is no reason why you can't use it- it won't hurt the bike. I think that you would be better served by using your wooden block under the oil pan simply because I think that you will find that that stand will be in your way while working on the front brakes.

I use a ratchet strap hooked to my lawn mower and wrapped around passenger hand grips. Ratchet down to pick up front tire.

Also place a block under pan for safety. A midge smaller block will do.

FWIW, I own one that I use for my wing. If you feel you need/want a lift and are okay with the price, you will not be disappointed with it.

I use a motorcycle jack under the oil pan to lift it up then slide a 6x2 under the centre stand and lower, plenty of clearance to work on either end and stable

Found the most convenient whilst perfectly safe to be a scissor jack...
Bike on main-stand, jack (with adapter) under the oil pan (on the thickened part below the drain bolt) and I can do, remove, assemble, work on just everything...

I used the stand today for the first time with the ST. Actually, it was quite handy. I ended up on the centerstand with a well-built wooded platform under the oil pan.

Top Bottom