Poison Oak

Bike
2012 ST1300A
What do you guys do for this? I got exposed dragging a rider's bike out of a ditch last weekend, I'm in a world of hurt now on my arms...Battery acid is sounding good.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
High dose of Benydrll and lots of cortezone with Aloe. Also add an asprin every 4-6 hours.

<D>

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Ouch. I used to get into this as a kid and got is so bad my fingers swelled and eye swelled shut. Before you break out cold water shower to wash the oil off and NOT open your poors. Brown soap. After you have it there used to be stuff called domborro sp? Luke warm water and sit in the tub pour the stuff over you hopefully you only have it on your arms though. . Call a dermatologist. Callodrill sp? cornstarch in a little water... stuff to draw out the oil. Man that sucks.

OP
OP
NorCalBusa
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Google doesn't come up with much- just lots of try this, try that. Amazed no pharmco has found the wonder med for it...Thanks for the info- keep it coming!

Deodorant, oatmeal. One suggests spraying "Shout" laundry spot cleaner- says it uses an enzyme that neutralizes the irritant in the PO oil...I'm ready to drink it.

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Calamine lotion or Itchycool... if you can get into to see a Dr., get some prednisone :bow1:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Tecnu and Aveeno is supposed to breakdown the oil ;) Aveeno should be pretty easy to find, don't know about Tecnu :rolleyes:

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If it's bad, get to a doctor or walk in clinic. Although OTC's can give some relief, the doc has the real deal. For enough relief to let me sleep, I have also used the "hot shower" method. Be aware, though that you really suffer for a bit to obtain the 2 or 3 hours of relief.
Posted via Mobile Device

(The guys who work for me like a product called "Ivy Dry" BTW. I have had good results with Clear Calagel as treemuncher recommends. At our house we call it "bug bite cream" cause it works so well on Chiggers)

Last edited:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I deal with this stuff on a daily basis. This is what usually works best, for me.

Find some Oak & Ivy brand Tecnu cleanser to wash the affected areas. After washing and drying, use their clear Calagel to reduce the itching and speed the healing. This Calagel is amazing stuff for bee stings and insect bites, as well.

If you have trouble finding it (usually in WalMart's pharmacy), I know you can get it from www.baileysonline.com under skin protection and personal safety items.

The Tecnu will wash away and remove poisonous oils within 2-8 hours of exposure. I always keep a bottle on my truck and at the shop. Let it set on your skin 2-5 minutes before washing it off. It works and can keep exposure problems to a minimum.

By accident, I found that the Calagel is amazing for bee stings. I was in severe pain from a mud-dauber wasp and the only thing I could find on the truck was the Calagel. 3 minutes after application, I forgot that I had been stung. Since then, I always keep these 2 products on my truck. GREAT STUFF!
:07biker:

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Someone mentioned Aloe, the most effective form of Aloe is straight from the Aloe plant. Break open the "leaf" and use the Aloe jelly.

Another thing that helps bring some relief is zinc oxide ointment. You can get it in a product called Zincofax cream or in a cream called Penaten.

I believe the Penaten has a higher zinc oxide level.

I have also heard that a burn ointment like Flamazene will work, but not sure.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Best thing is to not be in it in the first place..... :D Of course that wouldn't work for me since I have absolutely no clue what it looks like. I would be like the poor doofus on one episode of NCIS that got it "everywhere", then someone told him what it was...

When I was a kid, my mother always kept a botle of calamine lotion handy as I needed it often. Again, no clue as to what for, but I used a lot of it. I was seriously allergic to honey & bee stings and to top it off, my dad kept bees.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Google doesn't come up with much- just lots of try this, try that. Amazed no pharmco has found the wonder med for it...Thanks for the info- keep it coming!

Deodorant, oatmeal. One suggests spraying "Shout" laundry spot cleaner- says it uses an enzyme that neutralizes the irritant in the PO oil...I'm ready to drink it.
That makes sense deoderant ... aluminum chlorhydate oat meal ... starch.
Stuff to draw the oil out.

Once you are broken out its in there sounds nuts but i've used gasoline to wash it off. If its broken out and oozy too late for that.

Try the aspirin and DONT scracth man I know you want to

Bike
2007 ST1300
As "Slick Wiily" would say, "I feel your pain."
When I was about 13 yrs old, one fall, ,while out riding my bicycle, I found some real purty red leaves hanging on a tree. I thought my Mom would appreciate 'em, so I pulled 'em off the tree, mounted the bike and rode happily home, with the purty red leaves in my mouth. You see, they were kinda vine-like, and I needed my hands to work the bike. Well, Mom didn't exactly appreciate 'em! I had to go throw 'em in the trash can, then wash thoroughly. Too late, Mom!!!
I now know that Poison Ivy can affect you systemically. I broke out all oooover m'body. I was one walking around big ITCH. A two-legged blister, if you get my drift. Life was misery for about 10 days. The upside? I think I acquired immunity from all forms of Poison Ivy and Poison Oak, 'cause I've been in it many, many times since then and never so much as a tiny blister or itch. I don't recommend this method!!!
Do I have some advice for you, my itchy friend? 'Deed I do!
Buy lotsa Calamine or Caladryl lotion. (I think Caladryl is a little better) Try to keep your blisters dry! and avoid scratching 'em. Itchy? Caladryl 'em.
Best wishes, Pard! This too, shall pass!

Jim

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Sorry to hear. In the future was the infected area soon as you can with water and a little bleach, this kills whatever it is that makes you break out.

Now that you're broke out,a couple of things. As hot of water you can stand will give you temporary relief it makes the histmeans (sp?) come to the surface and was them away. It will be relief for a couple of hours anything helps.

Ivydry is the best I think. Or calamine lotion.

If its that bad just go to the doc and get a shot. That will do it.

Now for the witchcraft it works for my dad. Banana peel...yep peel a banana and rub the inside of the peel all over it...works like a charm for him.

Just remember once it gets in your blood stream it might not be like Texas Jim. It can be very easy to get. I have had it bad a couple of times and I can look at it and it will jump on me. Hope it helps and like your mom should say don't scratch that.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
OK...you're gonna think this is crazy. But it works!!!

I've tried the Ivy Dry, Calamine lotion, etc. This is for real.

Buy Clearasil, the stuff for acne - it MUST be the old-style, original brown (they call it tinted) kind.

Put it on after your morning shower, reapply it around lunchtime, and shower again at night and put it on right after your shower, ideally right before bed time. Stay with it daily.

It will chase that stuff away in just a few days.

Really. :shout1:DAMHIKT

Good luck with it.

Regards,

-Geo

Last edited:
OP
OP
NorCalBusa
Bike
2012 ST1300A
(Slaps forehead) What was I thinking? I found the antidote! It wasn't tails of newts and hearts of turkey after all... Nope, took only 2 fingers, two times, of Balvenie 12 year old. Why didn't I think of this before? Rich I tell ya- I'll be rich!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
(Slaps forehead) What was I thinking? I found the antidote! It wasn't tails of newts and hearts of turkey after all... Nope, took only 2 fingers, two times, of Balvenie 12 year old. Why didn't I think of this before? Rich I tell ya- I'll be rich!
I hope you didn't apply that topically. That would be alcohol abuse:D

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
OK everyone has to agree this is such a cool site where else can you find out how to fix your motorcycle and your poison ivy itch.

Top Bottom