preload spacer 24 mm with Hypro Front spring and only 5oz of oil?

Ok, they have me really confused. They sell a set of springs for our ST1300 and say it requires no spacers, but the setup instructions in their manual clearly say 24mm preload. Has anyone out there actually put these springs in your ST? An almost 1 inch spacer seems like it would be very difficult to compress to even get the cap on. There specs also have a wooping 160mm of measured air space...leaves room for only about 5oz of oil...17oz less than the honda manual. Don't really want to do this job twice?

I am in the process of putting it back together tonight. I did skip adding additional spacers/preload. It would be tough to do..perhaps 12mm with a helper. On the oil, it took exactely 1/2 liter of oil per fork to reach the specified oil level/gap. Working on putting it all back on the bike now.

I installed the HyperPro front and rear.
No spacer other than the stock units. The sag is right at 35mm 1 up.
with filling the fork legs to the 160mm, you will only have an 1 or 2 oz of excess fork oil.

I ended up raising the forks about 4 or 5 mm in the triple trees to get some of the steering quickness back.

I really like the ride of the bike, very compliant with a ton better ride. It really tracks well thru the corners and holds a line like it never has before.
No longer does the front end bottom constantly. And 2up we have a much better ride.

Rich

Have about 100 miles on them....pleased with the front hyperpro set up. The rear unit, not as pleased. I made my selection based upon clear answers to specific questions from the distributor. His answers were incorrect. I opted to not have the remote adjustment as I was told the shock was the same except for the convience factor. Not so. One damping setting only, not high and low speed damping. And the damping settings are limited to 5 clicks not 30. Also, in the install of the front, instructed on phone to clearly add preload spacer and install springs with tappered end up....later in day on email, told to do the opposit in an email answere from the same person. I'd suggest spending the extra money for the remote preload for the rear. Also, perhaps look for multiple u.s. distributors.

Back
Top Bottom