Progressive 465 oddity

Just installed a new Progressive 465 on my 02 1100 ABS. Once I got it into my head that it has to be installed upside down (relative to the stock shock), it went easy as pie. Except that the shock design (using a spherical bearing in the eyes) allows the shock to rotate about 3/8". There is no play up and down, and none side to side. But I have never installed a shock that seemed so odd. is ... Look at the following pics of the swingarm mount. The 1st pic is with the shock rotated to the left. The 2nd pic is with it rotated to the right.
IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

The camera location, angle, and zoom was not altered in between the shots.

I'm going to call Progressive tomorrow am, but I need to leave on a trip at about 0900 at the latest so I will not have time to change anything. It seems ok bouncing up and down in the garage, and I do not see any means by which the slight free rotation could cause a handling problem. Has anybody with a 465 seen the same thing?

I actually spent a bit of time playing with this, even going so far as to try and insert another slim washer in the shock housing. But the housing is tight to the shock body washers on both sides (a steel shoulder washer with an o-ring). The rotation is a function of the spherical bearing doing what it's supposed to. But it sure seems odd... The top mount is exactly the same (albeit with a smaller diameter bolt and shouldered washers), but with the shockeye recessed into the frame mount it is pretty much invisible.

My bike came with PS shocks from the PO. First the 420 series (which rotated as you described) and now the 465 (when they couldn't rebuild the 420). It also has a slight amount of rotation. They have worked fine for over 100K miles combined. I did have to cut away a little if the inner rear fender in order to get it to fit

Bill

Hey docw1,
Thanks for the reply. Just the confirmation I was looking for. But you would think the Progressive would at least give a hint in their instructions that "a slight bit of rotation is normal and will not be detrimental to the operation of the shock...".

I know this thread is a little old but I'm shopping for a shock and came across this. I'm thinking about the PS 465. Everyone happy with theirs? Any other brands recommended?

I went with a Works Performance unit based on the fact that UP runs them on his bikes. I have had no issue with mine.

Reviving an old thread....

Just finished installing the 465 rear shock in addition to their fork springs. Installed the fork spring following Progressive's instructions regarding oil weight and spacer length. They recommend stock weight oil and 3.25" left spacer and no right spacer. I used Yamalube 7.5 fork oil and set the level per the Honda manual (190 mm and 187 mm).

Progressive's advice regarding sag is 1/3rd of total travel when you're sitting on it. The front came in exactly on that number. The rear, however, did not. I did have to trim the inner fender a touch to clear but other than that installation was a breeze. I have just a little over 13% of sag even after adjusting the spring perch a considerable amount. I'll be test riding later today but wanted to see if anyone else had issues getting to Progressive's 1/3rd suggestion? There isn't any binding I can see, either.

Reviving an old thread....

Just finished installing the 465 rear shock in addition to their fork springs. Installed the fork spring following Progressive's instructions regarding oil weight and spacer length. They recommend stock weight oil and 3.25" left spacer and no right spacer. I used Yamalube 7.5 fork oil and set the level per the Honda manual (190 mm and 187 mm).

Progressive's advice regarding sag is 1/3rd of total travel when you're sitting on it. The front came in exactly on that number. The rear, however, did not. I did have to trim the inner fender a touch to clear but other than that installation was a breeze. I have just a little over 13% of sag even after adjusting the spring perch a considerable amount. I'll be test riding later today but wanted to see if anyone else had issues getting to Progressive's 1/3rd suggestion? There isn't any binding I can see, either.

Hi, so how did the progressive 465 work out for you? just in the market for a new shock myself.I am undecided between an oem replacement or aftermarket. thanks

I love my front and rear PS. For some reason the turning of 465 didn't surprise me. It's a different type than standard bushing. A better one.

mark

Hi, so how did the progressive 465 work out for you? just in the market for a new shock myself.I am undecided between an oem replacement or aftermarket. thanks

After riding it for awhile I can say I like it. I feel it's a good compromise between the stock set up and a fully customized suspension.

I just ordered the 465-1128 Progressive rear shock for my 2000 ST1100.

Anyone have any pictures of the way you had to trim the inner rear fender??

And you do have to put it in upside down, correct??

Gary.

Just installed my 465 shock this past weekend... it fit fine and the pre-load collar locking ring touched the inner fender a little but cleared it once I rotated it down to lock against the other ring (I cranked down my pre-load a few turns). And yes, once installed the shock is able to rotate a bit since the bushings at each end are round (like a spherical rod-end). It was immediately clear when riding the rear was firmer etc.. no more jarring/jolts over modest bumps.
Mr. BR

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 48
I went with the wilbers 640,mostly because its got a 5 yr guarantee and has an agent in this country to send it to for rebuilds or if there's any issues with it,
I'll let you know what I think of it when its installed,in around 2 weeks time.

I too have ordered the 465-1128 from Bikertrends.com, 357.00, free shipping. I also asked them about a spring upgrade, knowing I ride 2up about 1/3 of the time. Their reply was the spring comes standard for the 465-1128, there is no heavy duty application for this shock. I mentioned to them that I saw the heavy duty reference on their website. Since I was spending quite a bit of money to replace my over-worn stock shock, I wanted to get it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom