Prying off the carbs

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Sadly, my bike (’99) is parked for a couple months. Good time to replace coolant hoses/elbows (which I did a few years ago on the ’91). All parts are ready to go.

Problem is that I had recently filled the gas tank. 60 pounds of gas in there, so I won’t be pulling the tank unless I pump it out.

Is there a way to get leverage (as in: where to put the broomstick) on the carbs while the gas tank is in place?

Not a direct answer, but you might pick up a cheap electric fuel pump and just clear the tank.
You would also have a 'backup' should your fuel pump decide to fail while in route.
Or get a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb which are pretty cheap (Harbor Freight about $5).

I'll just jumper the pump to drain it if I have to pull the tank. Just wondering if I can avoid that.

Why do you want to pull the tank to pull the carbs? I did my carbs/hoses/elbows on my '01 and never touched the tank.

Why do you want to pull the tank to pull the carbs? I did my carbs/hoses/elbows on my '01 and never touched the tank.
Glad you pointed that out Paul, I'm thinking of doing mine and was wondering why the tank needed touching.
Obviously it doesn't, ta me duck.
Upt'North.

Pry from either side against the frame, but be careful of the linkages. There are spots you can get the broom handle onto without contacting any linkage.

Pulling the tank is helpful for getting access to the throttle cables on the bell crank, but you could just leave them attached also and swing the carbs off to the side.

How do you get 60# of fuel in the tank @6#/gal.?

Anyways. Pretty easy to siphon the tank.

How do you get 60# of fuel in the tank @6#/gal.?

Anyways. Pretty easy to siphon the tank.
Could also use the tank pump and pump it out the disconnected fuel line before it after the filter....just a thought.

If you can, I would run the bike first to get some heat into the carb area which will soften the rubber carb boots. Then make sure you've got all the clamps loose. As stated above pry up of the frame being careful not to damage any linkages etc. No need to pull the tank. Once you get the carbs loose, you get a straight shot at the two screws holding the throttle cable clamp to the carbs, with those out it is super easy to disconnect the barrel ends from the cable wheel.

Once you get the carbs loose, you get a straight shot at the two screws holding the throttle cable clamp to the carbs, with those out it is super easy to disconnect the barrel ends from the cable wheel.
many of us just tossed the entire carb set to one side with the throttle cables still attached (but you'll have to remove the choke/enricher cable)

Sadly, my bike (’99) is parked for a couple months. Good time to replace coolant hoses/elbows (which I did a few years ago on the ’91). All parts are ready to go.

Problem is that I had recently filled the gas tank. 60 pounds of gas in there, so I won’t be pulling the tank unless I pump it out.

Is there a way to get leverage (as in: where to put the broomstick) on the carbs while the gas tank is in place?

Not mentioned yet, but good to know is that you don't need to remove the snorkel assembly from atop the carbs. Doing that will just add a lot of fiddling and choice words to the reassembly of those snorkels.

I’m also one of those that didn’t take the fuel tank out. I was able to pry the carb bank out from behind the carbs (nearest where the seat would be). I used a short handle jack handle and treated it all quite carefully- worked out very well.

I understand that you don't have to pull the tank, but for the short time it takes to remove it, I like the extra working space.
It's a bit like removing the two muffler hanger bolts when you are removing the rear wheel.
it is not 'necessary' but it makes the whole axle removing process quicker considering the minimal time it takes to do it. :biggrin:

This time I might try the side pry (gas tank in place) method first, but either way it won't be for a week or two.

Doing some cosmetic carb cleaning on the workbench, while it's out of the bike.
I find this spring just sitting there as I repositioned the carb bank. Jeez...
Any idea where this goes?
DSCF0001 (2).JPG

Hope this might help you.
#16 or #23, respectively 1st and 2ng exploded diagram assemblies.

Carbs are back on.
Stupid question time.
Choke cable now has slack in it, which I can't figure out how to tighten. Don't remember having a problem with this in the past.

DSCF0004.JPG

Back
Top Bottom