Quarter Inch Socket Set.

For those that have the cash, and need...
Holy Cow! That gadget is roughly 65" long (5'5") and weighs 22 lbs. I'd have to do chin-ups on the end to get it to click - maybe.

Not quite 50 years ago, while renting my first house, the boiler died. The plumber walked in carrying Ridgid's 5' pipe wrench (still made today). The guy was slim and maybe 5'4" in high heels. He was doing chin-ups on the wrench on the big steam pipes* above said boiler in an effort to break the joints free. My roommate and I joined him on the wrench or the job would never have been completed.

*They were 2 1/2 to 3" black iron pipes. Typical low pressure steam heating system.

Holy Cow! That gadget is roughly 65" long (5'5") and weighs 22 lbs. I'd have to do chin-ups on the end to get it to click - maybe.

I use typical wrenches, I think my longest is probably my 24" handled torque wrench. But I wouldn't want to ruin the calibration by using it on stubborn bolts.

But a 1' wrench with my 3' breaker bar on the end moves everything I've tried. If it's particularly stubborn, penetrating fluid & heat*.

*I have, on one occasion, used contact explosives & a hammer. Mostly because that was more fun than drilling & tapping.

I use typical wrenches, I think my longest is probably my 24" handled torque wrench. But I wouldn't want to ruin the calibration by using it on stubborn bolts.

But a 1' wrench with my 3' breaker bar on the end moves everything I've tried. If it's particularly stubborn, penetrating fluid & heat*.

*I have, on one occasion, used contact explosives & a hammer. Mostly because that was more fun than drilling & tapping.
We have thoroughly hijacked this thread. Explosives now to remove a stubborn nut or bolt? Aren't those considered "controlled substances"? :rofl1: My structural steel friend used to talk about his blue flame wrench (oxy-acetylene) that never failed. For the big stuff, you might check out a 'burning bar' - a piece of thin walled conduit filled w/ alloy and/or aluminum wires that you light with said oxy-acet torch while pumping oxygen through the pipe. Linky1 Linky2 Linky3, and a different kind of burning bar Linky4 that is more useful to most of us.

Back
Top Bottom