Question on Bluetooth / iPhone / Siri

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, It's related to hands-free use of Siri while motorcycling . I'm hoping someone has tackled this already.

I have two bluetooth helmets (Bilt Techno 2.0, and Schuberth M1 with SRC). Both of these helmets have Bluetooth speakers and microphones. I can activate Siri on both by pushing the 'call' button on the helmet controls.

The issue I have is that Siri needs the phone unlocked to complete most requests. For example, If I say 'navigate to the nearest gas station' Siri will tell me the top option, and I can tell Siri to use that and Siri will start the maps app. But then my phone sits and waits for someone to unlock it (iPhone 8+ so fingerprint reader) before I can actually navigate there.

That's a bit frustrating, as at that point it is no longer 'hands free' and I may as well have pulled over to the side of the road to start with just like I was doing 10 years ago with a TomTom.

Anyone know if there is a way around this?

OP
OP
shady28
Knew it would be something simple like that. Looks like that is under 'display brightness and settings'. Going to try that out, unlock it, toss it in the glove compartment, and see if it has any issues.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Knew it would be something simple like that. Looks like that is under 'display brightness and settings'. Going to try that out, unlock it, toss it in the glove compartment, and see if it has any issues.
You got it, Settings>Display & Brightness>Auto Lock>Never (if you don't want it to lock off). Just remember, battery usage will go up so you might consider a charging cable from your phone (when its on the bike) to a USB charging port. Whenever I use my iPhone on my bike (FOBO TPMS app, or Google Maps), it is always connected so that I don't get off the bike later with a depleted battery in my phone.

Don't forget to change it back from Never to a fixed time when you dismount.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Does an I-Phone not have something equivalent to the trusted devices setting that Android phones have. This setting automatically keeps the phone unlocked whenever it is paired with a trusted device. Whenever it un-pairs, such as when you walk away or shut the device off, the phone lock automatically engages again. When these two devices automatically pair again the phone is automatically unlocked again. Works seemlessly and without user interaction.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Does an I-Phone not have something equivalent to the trusted devices setting that Android phones have. This setting automatically keeps the phone unlocked whenever it is paired with a trusted device. Whenever it un-pairs, such as when you walk away or shut the device off, the phone lock automatically engages again. When these two devices automatically pair again the phone is automatically unlocked again. Works seemlessly and without user interaction.
Sounds a bit iffy to me. I paired my iPhone 6 with our Highlander. Everything worked fine - I was able to receive calls and talk through the car's electronics. One day my wife drove the Highlander to the dealer for service and I followed in my truck. I received a call and was talking when it cut out. I had drifted closer to her car and the speaker in the Highlander took the call. The range was surprisingly far - maybe 50 yards(?) - but I did not like my phone linking up at that distance and cutting me out of the loop.

OP
OP
shady28
Sounds a bit iffy to me. I paired my iPhone 6 with our Highlander. Everything worked fine - I was able to receive calls and talk through the car's electronics. One day my wife drove the Highlander to the dealer for service and I followed in my truck. I received a call and was talking when it cut out. I had drifted closer to her car and the speaker in the Highlander took the call. The range was surprisingly far - maybe 50 yards(?) - but I did not like my phone linking up at that distance and cutting me out of the loop.

Had the same thing happen to me at home. I was on a conference call for work, speaker phone, wife drove up in the driveway and intercepted my call.

So I did try out the navigate via Siri thing. It did work to a degree. Normal Siri discourse without touching the phone, not so much, Siri asks too many questions and can't hear the answers with the road and wind noise. I had set some destinations in Waze to be activated by Siri too though, and that did work ok while riding.

OP
OP
shady28
Or you can go to "Siri and Search" in settings and "Allow Siri when locked", and that way your phone can be locked for some security...
Thanks, but already had that. The problem wasn't activating siri with the phone locked, it was that for Siri to do anything (like navigate) the phone has to be unlocked.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
but I did not like my phone linking up at that distance and cutting me out of the loop.
Had the same thing happen to me at home. I was on a conference call for work, speaker phone, wife drove up in the driveway and intercepted my call.
Is there not a selection in the settings to allow it to only be paired to one device at a time and to not change pairings until the current one is no longer active? I haven't had a need to do this but if there were would that not solve the issue.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Is there not a selection in the settings to allow it to only be paired to one device at a time and to not change pairings until the current one is no longer active? I haven't had a need to do this but if there were would that not solve the issue.
I don't know. The more I play w/ my iphone the more I realize how little I know. And the more I use it the more I feel like someone else is stealing info from me. (Like 'allow your location to be used...').

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
That's what I don't like about smart phones: the more capabilities they build in, the harder it is to find and use them.

Top Bottom