Question on Installing Heli Bar Riser

Question on installing HeliBar risers. I installed them today, but noticed there was some “give” that I didn’t notice with the stock set up. Is this normal?

It didn’t make me comfortable, so I removed them and re-installed. I was thinking that maybe I forgot to tighten one of the bolts. I really tightened them the 2nd time and noticed the same give. Please see video. It does have 2 rubber “feet” on the underside that could explain the give, but in thought I would ask here.

.https://youtube.com/shorts/dXIT62D-KXw?feature=share

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When I extended my Helibars and added tall riser clamps, I got a lot of flex from the rubber mounts, too, due to the increased leverage. I put a pair of large washers under the upper triple clamp. Now the bars are rigid and have no movement.

1685277156789.png 1685277228499.png 1685277317326.png

Mine does the same thing, after a short period of riding you won't notice it. Just like getting off one bike and mounting a different bike.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just because you won't notice it, does not mean that you should allow it to keep happening.
The rubber grommets that at pressed into the upper triple tree are there to absorb vibration, however, as stated, when you increase the length and reach of the bars, it can DAMAGE to rubber grommets, and tear them enough that over time the bars will almost touch the tank (not good)
Make sure the grommets don't have cracks or tears in them.
I've seen them PULL OUT on some of the police bars when officers kept yanking the bikes up after dropping them.
Make sure yours are in good condition, and keep an eye on them because you now have more leverage as other posters have pointed out.
Ride safe

You are 100 percent right and should add this to your inspection list, some mods do increase wear on other locations as well as normal use areas which is why I like to wash and polish them with attention to detail, it helps to look deeper than just where you are just rubbing the polish off. If you see degraded rubber in one place it is going to show up somewhere else. Maintenance is more than a list in the owners manual.
I have seen the police bikes and they are used to their limits and beyond frequently. Those guys are good at what they do.

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
On a similar idea, a question:
I have a factory police set up and really like the position-I wouldn’t like to lose that.
I am considering the Helibar set up with a Ram mount (only for the center Ram mount).
is this different than the police factory handlebar position?
Rob

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm not familiar with the police riser. Can't you simply drill and tap it and screw in a RAM ball?

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
The decorative plate is plastic and attached via 2 small allen bolts. No good purchase. Perhaps I could drill it to permit a pass-through shaft with a RAM ball on top but mounted firmly into the triple clamp. I'll play around with this in my mind.

I put the question to HeliBar company and we'll see what transpires.

Thanks,
Rob

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The decorative plate is plastic and attached via 2 small allen bolts. No good purchase. Perhaps I could drill it to permit a pass-through shaft with a RAM ball on top but mounted firmly into the triple clamp. I'll play around with this in my mind.

Thanks,
Rob
This is exactly the set up I had on mine which requires replacing the Allen bolt head screws with something longer to secure the Ram ball to the bezel piece.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Perhaps I could drill it to permit a pass-through shaft with a RAM ball on top but mounted firmly into the triple clamp. I'll play around with this in my mind.
Motorcyclelarry, now deceased and his company is long gone, made a solid aluminum center piece for stock ST's. I've never seen one come up for sale here, and I've been hanging around for around 10 years so the possibility of finding one used is slim to none. I too wanted one for my ST, so I fired up my cheap harbor fright milling machine and made one out of billet aluminum (sounds a whole lot spiffier than out of a piece of scrap aluminum). I modeled it after the center plastic piece, and made the outside curves by milling up to a scribed line and then finishing it off on a belt sander. I then drilled the center and put a powerlet directly over the steering axis in my new 'between the handlebars piece'. IIRC, MCL provided a ram ball mount on theirs.

What I did was not beyond the skills of many of the guys here, but I did have a very cheap device that was sold as a milling machine and works sort of ok like one. Any real machinist would snort if he saw the play in mine, but it was used and dirt cheap and I've learned a lot using it.

Do you have any machinist friends?

@ski_rush, from what Larry said, it is probably best not to drop the bike - that way you don't have to stress those rubber grommets picking it up. Even the little girls on youtube grab the handlebar and rear grab rail when picking up their Harleys and Beemers, so it is forgivable if you do the same. Just keep it to a minimum (said by a professional ST dropper).

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9

Thanks,
Rob
Ram sells a ball with 1/4-20 stud. They also have a 6mm one as well I think. Is it possible to drill a hole through the plastic centred over the hole in the down tube. Mount the studded RAM ball on it with a nut on the back side against a fender washer to spread out the force. The hole in the down tube allows plenty of clearance. For mounting something light like a phone or a GPS shouldn't be an issue.
I'm pretty sure that I have seen this done by others on this forum.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
do you have a picture?

BTW, I'm listening to Hemispheres as I read/type this! I see your avitar! Best Band EVER!

Rob
I never set out to specifically photograph this set up and after scrolling through many pictures, I humbly offer this one in the hopes that by zooming in on the area you will find something useful to help you on your project.
For the record, I inherited this farkle/upgrade from the PO.
So my friend, from my Villa Strangiato to yours ;), I hope this helps you with your project.

Cheers

Andy

IMG_3407.jpeg

Top Bottom