R1250 RT or new Goldwing?

It goes without saying, each rider requires feedback they deem is "proper", so if you haven't already, you need to ride each (as long as they will allow a test ride) ... maybe rent both if you can find a place. Two different riders will have completely different opinions about each bike.

That's all I can offer (never had experience with RT or new GW (I have 2007 GW).

New Wing is impressive must say, RT always a good choice. Light and nimble or full comfort but ride each before buying !

Although I bought my bike with no test ride I knew this is the bike I wanted the ST1100 brand new. Seems like you have done your homework if you have it narrowed down to these two. Your final answer will come with a proper test ride at some distances. I have a great BMW dealer near me here in ST Louis Mo named Gateway BMW, I know every time I walk into that place they are trying to throw me bike keys for test rides. So very liberal for test rides. Another big Honda dealer has free test rides during their annual home coming the weekend before Memorial Day in Litchfield Il. About the machines I have test ridden the new Goldwings and have concluded at least for me they are not a direct replacement for a ST machine. Don't get me wrong these big bikes can hustle and keep up with the ST's as I found out in the hilly area's of Arkansas trying to follow Nashcat and Indian express. Very capable machines. The 1250 RT I have not ridden it and I don't want to because I may come home with a new bike.

I had a 2016 R1200RT for 2 and a half years, and it was a really nice bike but I didn't buy the BMW warranty at the time of purchase and my 3 year warranty was running out. I personally will not own a BMW without full warranty. When the 2018 Goldwing came out with the DCT, that made the choice easy for me. After a test ride of the DCT, I made plans to sell the RT and the 2009 Goldwing I had at the time and get a new 2018 in March of 2019. I added the extra 5 year unlimited mileage warranty at purchase (for a total 8 years, unlimited miles).
I have 33K miles on the DTC and have loved every minute (mile).
But as others have stated, you really must get a test ride before purchase.

Go with Honda ; my last BMW RT was a 2 1/2 year nightmare - engine damage @ 6K - brought on by the ECM . + several other defects . & left me stranded once . 3 yr warranty , and dealer , was worthless . Federal lemon law court case was on my side though . Was never so glad to get rid of a MC !

If you buy BMW anyway , make SURE you keep ALL service papers & accessories , etc. receipts with dates - your proof in a court of law !

Last edited:
Thoughts.
Yeah, well... sometimes I try to think, but nothing happens.
Oh. I personally detest the BMW corporate snobbery and arrogance. I have several tales, which I will spare you here. Corporate sux.
But you MAY find a few dealers who will go to bat for you, should the insufferable happen to you / your bike. (Having said that, I can foresee the 1250GSA in my future. BUT! I will go in with eyes wide open.)
All that aside, my "thoughts" are summed up thusly: New bikes are fun!

I had a 2016 R1200RT for 2 and a half years, and it was a really nice bike but I didn't buy the BMW warranty at the time of purchase and my 3 year warranty was running out. I personally will not own a BMW without full warranty. When the 2018 Goldwing came out with the DCT, that made the choice easy for me. After a test ride of the DCT, I made plans to sell the RT and the 2009 Goldwing I had at the time and get a new 2018 in March of 2019. I added the extra 5 year unlimited mileage warranty at purchase (for a total 8 years, unlimited miles).
I have 33K miles on the DTC and have loved every minute (mile).
But as others have stated, you really must get a test ride before purchase.

Interesting. You "would not own a BMW without full warranty" so went with Honda but bought extended warranty. No faith in Honda? Or just decide not to own any bike that was not on warranty? Would you have kept the BMW if it had the extended warranty or did you not like riding it? Just wanted something different?
What is the difference (if any) in cost of extending the warranty out for 5 years between the two?

After 5 years of going in and out of a BMW factory (three of those years literally right up to the production line), seeing how corporate operates, getting a firsthand look at over two dozen different BMW OEM suppliers, and a solid education on why BMW charges the prices they do and for what items, I conclude that I will most likely never own a post-airhead BMW.

But if you have your heart set on one, then by all means go and buy one.

I for one felt abandoned by Honda with the silent treatment they gave us and also my ST13 was not trouble free - notably FI issues etc

So now back in BMW territory with eyes wide open and as the local HD dealer said and I quote ‘all bikes have issues’ ;)

One more reason I *nearly* always buy used bikes. Gives me time to research these "issues", and time for the previous owner to have them addressed.
Not to mention, back-of-the-envelope math convinces me I can usually buy 2 or 3 used bikes on my wish list, for the price of one new bike.
YMMV*.

*Your Math May Vary

I like my 2007 BMW more everyday I ride it. I’ve said a lot of unflattering things about BMW in the past and couldn’t enjoy eating those words more than I am with every turn of the wheels of this bike. The hexhead Rs are nimble with fantastic suspension and brakes. Easy to work on and maintenance is a snap to do. The hexhead bikes are two generations old, inexpensive to acquire and DIY maintain, with no secrets. 300 mile range, cruise control. About 100 lbs lighter than an ST though the low CG makes the bike seem even lighter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom