Racetech Gold Valve feedback

Bike
2005 st1300
I installed racetech gold valves in my forks this winter and thought I would give some quick feedback in case anyone else is considering this upgrade. Right away, I noticed a definite difference. Small bumps/irregularities and gone. It is like riding on fresh pavement. After a while I have concluded that Mid-sized bumps/irregularities are "there" (you feel them, as you should) but the feedback is spot on and not harsh at all and the wheel tracks and follows the line well during the mid-sized stuff... a noticeable improvement. The larger bumps I find a little harsh, some very harsh. Through Racetech's online valving search, they recommended a 2-stage valve setup, which I followed. I am going to put some more miles on the forks to get a better idea of how they are acting and later get a hold of Racetech about possibly changing the shim stack to get rid of this harshness. Overall, I consider the upgrade worth it, but I think the real value lies in the fact that I can now play with the valving to further improve the ride/handling. I am a tinkerer and I never leave well enough alone, so I actually welcome the chance to fine tune the forks... lol

STOC #
I had them installed on my '05 and it was AMAZING. Well at least to me.. Leaned over on a bumpy road the wheels/forks just danced and the bike was rock steady.I also had a race tech valve in the rear shock with springs fore and aft to match my weight. Very confidence inspiring. I hate wonky suspension in a curve..
m

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I can't comment on the gold valves, but can say I noticed a significant improvement by going with straight rate springs (Traxxion Dynamics) for my weight and new fork oil (it's a very cost effective option). Since the forks are already cartridge forks, I didn't do that yet, but may in the future. First is getting them to rebuild my rear shock next time I'm due for a rear tire. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I look forward to hearing how it goes as you fine tune them.

Last edited:

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
A few years back I did the Sonic Spring upgrade, installed the 1.2 size per their recommendation.
They made the bike feel more "planted", and improved the handling, but the ride over bumps was too harsh....
This year I did the full RaceTech: Gold Valves and their recommended (0.95) springs....

A definite improvement - the bumps are much smoother without giving up anything handling-wise. I am a happy camper...
IMHO, A very worthwhile upgrade....

PS: Anyone want a pair of used Sonic Springs ? :biggrin: .

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
A spring upgrade helps, but only gets you halfway there. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My bike was owned by my brother in law, roughly 30% heavier than me. What can I say - I'm a lightweight.
I doubt he fooled with the suspension at all, so first I will have it set up for proper sag as a baseline, and go from there. I noticed right away when I got it, that some medium bumps seemed really harsh, and those would frequently disrupt my calm throttle hand. Not good for bike control.
I've solved some of that, simply by putting miles on and getting used to it. But part of it comes from riding a heavy KTM Adventure bike for several years, with finer tuned suspension, more travel, and a larger front wheel.
When I did the Racetech Gold Valve cartridge emulators on my '97 Blackbird, they transformed that bike's front end from vague and uncertain, to planted, predictable and highly confidence-inspiring cornering.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I had them installed on my '05 and it was AMAZING. Well at least to me.. Leaned over on a bumpy road the wheels/forks just danced and the bike was rock steady.I also had a race tech valve in the rear shock with springs fore and aft to match my weight. Very confidence inspiring. I hate wonky suspension in a curve..
m
Incredible! I had exactly the same experience with our 05, full racetech front and back here, best farkle ever.. okay so it's a tie with my zumo gps

Bike
2005 ST13
For those with Gold Valves, it would help if you disclosed how many shims are installed, and which weight oil was used. There's plush, and middle and firm. I have the firm setting and I don't care for it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I went with cH33 for compression, and rH19 for rebound. This was one notch toward plush from standard shim stack compression and RaceTech's standard for rebound. I weigh 170# geared up and used stock springs with longer spacers for more preload. My sag was 37.583333 mm (my calculator got carried away).

If we are going to compare notes, posting your geared up weight is important. My shim stack would not be the same for someone who weighs in at 230# and runs stiffer springs.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
For those with Gold Valves, it would help if you disclosed how many shims are installed, and which weight oil was used. There's plush, and middle and firm. I have the firm setting and I don't care for it.
I fully followed the RaceTech specs, for 190lbs and "Street, standard stiffness" .
I also went with their recommended (0.95 Kg) springs and 5W oil (Amsoil).
I have not measured sag (no 2nd body to help me), but see no need to - I'm totally happy with the improved ride. :biggrin: .
(see my post #4 above).

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I also went with RaceTech's recommendation 0.95 Kg springs, their ultra slick 5 weight oil and ready assembled valve stacks with excellent results

Top Bottom