Suits Rain Suits That Fit Over Riding Gear

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
My raingear gets a lot of use so that may be the issue. I've tried the windproof/waterproof liners and all they do is allow the mesh to soak up a bunch of water on the outside while you get wet on the inside. I often end up (like on the Canadian trip) riding in a downpour for several hours, so sitting in a nice pair of soaked underwear is less than pleasant. ;-) I guess I'm expecting too much, but at the price of MC raingear, 3-5 years of use seems to be pretty shabby. I guess I'll look for a Gore-tex lined outfit - that seems to have lasted with the boots that I use and on the Stich that I have - neither of which has ever leaked. Anybody know of one of those? I don't mind paying a price for something that is going to last a good while.
Phil

I just finished a ride with three guys who were using the BMW 1 piece rain suit. We hit some extremely ugly weather and their suits held up the best of all of us. One was using it over a Roadcrafter, the others over mesh. Packs small, easy on and off. I'm going to take a serious look at the suit the next time I'm in the city.

Jammaman

R.I.P. - 2022/02/02
Rest In Peace
Purchased the newest version Frogg Toggs, high vis, this spring, and thus far they've worked out as advertised. They seem more durable than a previous version I owned, more breatheable, zippers on jacket and pants improved...and lastly the high vis.

They pack nicely in the supplied sack and the pricing was attractive....if I remember correctly around $80.00 via the net w/free shipping and no sales tax.

Doug / AG5I

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have the Firstgear Rainman suit and love it. Its about 4 years old, but has only really seen use 2 of those years. It has kept me bone dry in many severe rain storms, including a couple of all day rides in the rain (coming back from Moonshine I hit almost 2 full days of rain, some VERY heavy). I used it a lot this summer to commute, so its probably seen at least 15 days of use this summer. For the price I sure can't complain. If I only get another year out of it, for what they cost I'll consider it money well spent.

As for the fit- I'm not a little guy...6'4" and 300 lbs. When I started out for Moonshine my layers consisted of: t-shirt; heated jacket liner (full, not vest); zip-in liner; Joe Rocket jacket; and my rain jacket on top. The suit fit over it all just fine. The bottoms have been over long running pants; sweat pants; joe rocket pants; and rain pants over all that. Never a drop has gotten through.

Jim

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Never a drop has gotten through. Jim
That was my experience up to about 2 years ago. When my Rainman went south, it went south in a hurry. But again, mine has seen a lot of rain. It just seems that if the material was truly waterproof it would stay that way. The only thing I can figure out is they must use a coating that breaks down over time. At this point there does not appear to be anyone that makes just a GoreTex rainsuit - plenty of riding suits with Goretex built in. I guess it would be so expensive they figure nobody would buy one.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Is it the material itself, or the seams? Seams are harder to keep waterproof. But even the material itself, with what we put them through- all our weight sitting on it, rubbing around on a seat- its only natural that eventually it will wear.

Jim

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I've had Frogg Toggs and they wore well, until the zippers started coming apart at about the 3-4 year mark. I still have the jacket, and it's going with me to CTSToc for after-riding activities.
My latest is a Tourmaster Defender 2 piece rain suit. So far, I'm dry, and this is year 3 for it. I ride to/from work on the ST daily, and if it's raining when I go home, the rain suit is on. I don't ride into work if it's raining in the morning.

Steve:04biker:
p.s. I'd buy another pair of either of the suits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is it the material itself, or the seams? Seams are harder to keep waterproof. But even the material itself, with what we put them through- all our weight sitting on it, rubbing around on a seat- its only natural that eventually it will wear.

Jim
Jim - Straight through the jacket material like it was porous. I've re-waterproofed it but it still leaks badly.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My latest is a Tourmaster Defender 2 piece rain suit. So far, I'm dry, and this is year 3 for it. I ride to/from work on the ST daily, and if it's raining when I go home, the rain suit is on. I don't ride into work if it's raining in the morning.
Steve - Thanks for the tip on the Tourmaster. I've been considering them as one of the options. Are they 'oversized' to fit over riding gear?

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Frogg Toggs... Don't pack worth a :pie1::pie1::pie1::pie1:, but are breathable and very light... 3 years and still going strong...
:cool:
If you get a 2 gal size zip lock bag and place your Toggs in it and push out all the air, then zip ot shut, packing is very easy, when everything is smushed flat. I began packing everything like this years ago in my wing days. It gives you room to bring much more stuff

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Nothing I've ever used works 100%, EXCEPT an old Navy Foul Weather Gear set, bib pants 'n pull over top. No way to pack it tho, it's way too bulky. Only used it once in a midwest frog strangler. Put it on before I left and didn't take it off 'til I arrived. Nearly impossible to TAKE a leak with it on as well. :eek: :rofl1:

Wouldn't wanna wear it when the rain stopped, you'd sweat like a sauna!

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Gosh, George, that brings back memories of the old biological warfare suit I used to have. It was a one piece and no way did I ever get wet from the rain, but gooooollllllyyyy did I perspire!!!!

Top Bottom