rear brake pedal & front brake disc cold.

Hi all, happy to be a new member. I have just bought a 2010 st1300 with 12000 miles on her. Me front, left side disc is all ways cold & the right 1 is hot. I have a warranty so waiting for Blackpool honda to sort things out, been waiting since xmas & still waiting. I will call them tomorrow.
What I have noticed with the back brake is, if i touch the rear brake pedal about half way down no rear brake light comes on? Only comes on if the pedal is pushed all the way down? I am thinking is this normal? I am also thinking maybe because when we stop, we on the back brake, a little touch & take of with the back brake (little touch) down. to make the bike take of in a strait line & not shake all over the rd hahahha. is this thinking correct? Thanks so much. Cheers.

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK! Congratulations on your ST...… sounds like the rear brake switch needs adjusting. It is a plastic unit and will be attached to the brake pedal with a spring. Pull it up a little (it just sits in a hole), then turn the adjusting nut down a bit, replace and try it. Repeat as necessary until it comes on when the brakes begins to bite, or you are happy with it. Check your tyre pressures if the bike shakes - most 1300 owners run 42 PSI front and rear.

Hello, and welcome to our forum. Congratulations on your purchase of the ST.

The problems you describe should be quite easy for a well-trained Honda motorcycle mechanic to solve, they are all adjustment & maintenance related.

We have a library of articles that describe ST 1300 service procedures and problem-solving procedures in our forum, to get to it, click on this link: ST 1300 Maintenance Articles. We also have a sub-forum for discussion of ST 1300 brake issues, it is here: ST 1300 Brakes.

Hopefully your dealer will get those problems solved for you while the bike is in for maintenance. But if they persist after you pick the bike up, come on back and post another question here in the forum and we will all do our best to help you out.

Michael

What I have noticed with the back brake is, if i touch the rear brake pedal about half way down no rear brake light comes on? Only comes on if the pedal is pushed all the way down? I am thinking is this normal?
No it's not normal and as stated normal maintenance can easily correct that. My brake light comes on with just the lightest touch that likely doesn't activate the brakes at all and that's how I like it. I can tap the brake a couple of times without any slowing before applying brakes if need be.

@CYYJ - that link to the maintenance articles links to the ones for the 1100. Here is the link to the ST1300 articles.
Thanks for catching and correcting that, John. The problem with owning one of each type (as I do) is the risk of constantly mixing them up. I'm glad the two motorcycles are different colours, at least that prevents me from mixing them up when I am using them... :)

Michael

That is not normal - my front brakes are both always cold unless I have just used them.

If the right is hot, it suggests that the pads in the right caliper are either not able to release because of caliper not moving on the slider pins, pads not moving on the pad pin or pads not installed correctly. Or front wheel not installed properly.

If it was to do with fluid, brake lines or plumbing, then the same would be happening to the front left as well.

A decent mechanic would be able to sort this out fairly quickly, I would have thought. Since it is still under warranty, you need to take it back and make them deal with it - otherwise you forfeit your right to have them take it back as not fit for purpose. To be fair, our local service department did not open until Thursday - ie 2 working days ago. I know cos I phoned them to book an MOT, and they told me to bring it in that afternoon. So maybe that is the delay.

Whereabouts in the UK are you - presumably near Blackpool ?

@CYYJ - that link to the maintenance articles links to the ones for the 1100. Here is the link to the ST1300 articles.
Happy rising john, thanks for the reply cheers. I am a scouser & thats the neareist honda dealer for me. There is 1 over the water in cheshire the same distance as blackpool. The 1 in wigan as closed down, i will call them latter on to day, cheers.

Welcome from North Wales.

As the others have said, sounds like you need the calipers looking at, and the rear brake switch looking at. Honda should be able to sort it out, but the workshop has probably been closed over the festive period.

Since Cheshire is a possibility, I work in Liverpool & commute on the bike... If you ever feel the need to compare side by side etc, or want showing where things are, my contact details are on the RAN list & I can always spare time during the day.

Edit: you also say you're a Scouser... If you see a red 02 on the A41, M53 or around the tunnels, give us a wave. :oilleak:

Oh and there's a Honda shop in Colwyn Bay, or I use Woods in Abergele. They're about an hour ride from Liverpool, and Woods give curtsey bikes at no extra cost.

Happy rising riders. Just like to add, d red devil (st1300s name hahahha), as add a level 3 service 1200 miles & new front pads all done by honda at berkshire on the 29 aug 2018. Total cost for there level 3 service & pads, element air/c, oil, oil filter cartri, drain plug washer, final drive fluid, lubes, brake cleaner, waste oil transfer etc & universal brake & clutch fluid. Total cost, wait for it hahahah whooooohooooo. £481.76p mmmmmm. Thats from the last owner. In d red devils life she as add £2000 spent on her, Its a good job that i like to feel the discs after a ride out, just to get the sense, of how i am braking hahaa, & the left side disc is all ways cold. Shes a dream to ride & hopefully my friend for life. The power is unreal wow. Can not wait to get the braking system working propley, Most of the time i am smooth on take of at lights but some times she wobiles hahaaha & not the pan european wobble my stupid wobble haha, i have 42psi all the time, its my mistake on take off, just can not wait until i get used to her whoooohooooo hahaha, i have only had her from the 5th dec 2019, so still getting used to her wow hahaha. Thanks for all the replys. Only snow & ice will stop me from rideing d red devil whoooooohooooo. Can not wait for summer then of to Bulgaria & pop into grease if there is no ww3 rrrrrrr. 1 day @ a time & hopefully there will be peace & freedom to everything on this once great planet. Happiness to us all hay, thanks so much & cheers gud luck.

Welcome from North Wales.

As the others have said, sounds like you need the calipers looking at, and the rear brake switch looking at. Honda should be able to sort it out, but the workshop has probably been closed over the festive period.

Since Cheshire is a possibility, I work in Liverpool & commute on the bike... If you ever feel the need to compare side by side etc, or want showing where things are, my contact details are on the RAN list & I can always spare time during the day.

Edit: you also say you're a Scouser... If you see a red 02 on the A41, M53 or around the tunnels, give us a wave. :oilleak:

Oh and there's a Honda shop in Colwyn Bay, or I use Woods in Abergele. They're about an hour ride from Liverpool, and Woods give curtsey bikes at no extra cost.
Now den ad.hom hahaaha. Thanks so much for the help brother, much appreciated, i dont give waves only nods hahaahha. Love to meet up & have a chat & make sure d red devil is spot on, can not beat freeee advice & help. The blackpool honda are takeing the piss i think. I have been waiting for them to call me back, no call back so i called them & the guy dident even no anything about it. He done a reg check & found my log, he said he will call me back & still waiting. I have spoke to the warranty place WMS rescue & recovery about my vehicle guarantee service & they said get honda to call them & they will sort it for me. I have told honda this & gave honda there phone #, still waiting mmmmm. So if i dont hear from them this morning I will call them back & may call woods up. There is a in bike shop in crosby called bridge st or something, but would like honda to sort it. Thanks bro & av a happy rising whoooohooooo.

I have been waiting for them to call me back,
I think that's pretty usual for most garages when they don't know you.

Woods last month had my bike for MOT, head bearing change and a few other jobs I couldn't be bothered doing. They had it for a week before they called back to say it was done (after quoting 4hrs labour).

But you tend not to mind the delays if you have a bike of theirs to ride. The Triumph Scrambler 900 took some getting used to though.

Re meet ups, I'm in the city weekdays standard office hours. There's a public coffee shop 1 floor above my bike parked in the secure compound. Happy to meet up lunch/early evening at some point.

I think that's pretty usual for most garages when they don't know you.

Woods last month had my bike for MOT, head bearing change and a few other jobs I couldn't be bothered doing. They had it for a week before they called back to say it was done (after quoting 4hrs labour).

But you tend not to mind the delays if you have a bike of theirs to ride. The Triumph Scrambler 900 took some getting used to though.

Re meet ups, I'm in the city weekdays standard office hours. There's a public coffee shop 1 floor above my bike parked in the secure compound. Happy to meet up lunch/early evening at some point.
thanks bro, maybe soon hay. I av a meeting today 11-12 then i am freeeeee hahhaha. Name the place & time, cheers m8.

Hi all. Phoned honda up & they say they can not get three to my warranty people mmmm. I called the warranty place up me self & got threw after 3 rings. The warranty people said honda need to check the bike & then tell them whats wrong with it. Honda must of none this? I am still waiting for honda blackpool to call me. I dont no whats wrong with them. Think i will check another honda gaff out. No wonder the honda gaffs are closing down the way they treat the customers. Think i will check the Manchester gaff out. Gutted. Just wont me darling get some medical help & get back to her gud old self hahahah. Take care.

Hi all. Finally honda Blackpool av phoned me & its all ready to go get checked over yipppeeee. Then we take it from there. I will av to pay to get her checked & then we will see whats wrong with her & hopefully me warranty will cover her. Am thinking of talking with the bike factory up in maccasfield were i bought her from on the 5th dec & see what they say. Worth a try. So hopefully all will be sorted soon wow lol. Thanks everyone cheers lol. Gud luck & safe riding yipppeeee.

So, they've had the bike a while, and called you to say they're ready to start looking at it, and that you have to pay for it looking at?

What kind of warranty is that?

6 days after purchase, my car dropped a drive shaft. Renault picked it up free of charge, gave me a replacement car & called me a day later telling me what the problem was. They tried telling me on the phone I'd have to pay for it... so I went to the dealership & talked loudly with the service manager about Sale Of Goods Act, the recall that covered the issued they'd identified, the pre-delivery inspection that would have caught the issue, and how they'd be keeping my car until they either fixed it for free or gave me a full refund...

You might want to check the wording on your warranty policy before paying any money out.

So, they've had the bike a while, and called you to say they're ready to start looking at it, and that you have to pay for it looking at?

What kind of warranty is that?

6 days after purchase, my car dropped a drive shaft. Renault picked it up free of charge, gave me a replacement car & called me a day later telling me what the problem was. They tried telling me on the phone I'd have to pay for it... so I went to the dealership & talked loudly with the service manager about Sale Of Goods Act, the recall that covered the issued they'd identified, the pre-delivery inspection that would have caught the issue, and how they'd be keeping my car until they either fixed it for free or gave me a full refund...

You might want to check the wording on your warranty policy before paying any money out.
hi, the bike as been with me all the time. honda blackpool havent even checked the bike out yet, they were fobbing me of saying they will phone the warranty gaff up but never did. Now they have spoke with the warranty place & they saying that i must pay for the diagnostics & they we will see what it is. I will phone the place up were i bought it from first thing & see what they say. I thought i just deal with the warranty place me self but now i no, to deal with the gaff i bought it from enit hahahaha. I no there is a 3month warranty from the gaff a bought her from & i payed extra for anouther 12 months. I am with the rac as well, so may be they could help hahahhahaha. Will let ya no how things pan out wow. hahahaha. thanks so much.

I'm sure not happy with the way that Blackpool has treated you. all this time and they have not
even checked your ST.
And now you have to pay fpr diagnostic? Bad form indeed.
Good luck with the place where you bought the ST.
I'm a little more on the fence now, maybe the Honda shop has been a little slow, but maybe it's reasonable.

Previously unknown customer with a 3rd party warranty claim has tried to book some work under the warranty. Festive period, so more experienced mechanics will be taking holidays, lots of bikes off the road so ideal time to book work on them. All adds up to a backlog of work with less than usual numbers.

Throw in the possibility that the only person that can approve 3rd party paid work could well be on holiday too, and that explains why no-one else knew what was happening.

Quite possible that they could be asking OP to pay for the inspection, expecting 3rd party to quibble about the hourly rate. OP may/may not be able to claim that back.

Now, with my cynical head on, brakes are consumables. So if it's a gummed up caliper and worn pads, they might reject a warranty claim anyway. Thankfully no plastics really need to be removed to do the job, so lowers the labour costs regardless of who's paying.

Last edited:
I'm a little more on the fence now, maybe the Honda shop has been a little slow, but maybe it's reasonable.

Previously unknown customer with a 3rd party warranty claim has tried to book some work under the warranty. Festive period, so more experienced mechanics will be taking holidays, lots of bikes off the road so ideal time to book work on them. All adds up to a backlog of work with less than usual numbers.

Throw in the possibility that the only person that can approve 3rd party paid work could well be on holiday too, and that explains why no-one else when what was happening.

Quite possible that they could be asking OP to pay for the inspection, expecting 3rd party to quibble about the hourly rate. OP may/may not be able to claim that back.

Now, with my cynical head on, brakes are consumables. So if it's a gummed up caliper and worn pads, they might reject a warranty claim anyway. Thankfully no plastics really need to be removed to do the job, so lowers the labour costs regardless of who's paying.
hi, you could be right, we wont no, but when they say they will make the call & call me back & dont, i got to call honda, not professional at all. Hopefully i will have some good news & a very happy out come & put this experience behind me, fingers crossed. I am just lucky, that i checked the discs after me ride or i would of never of known. Its just had a full service, level 3, new pads new fluids £500 the last owner spent on all this & its only done 1000 miles after that service. That was done by another honda dealer. Its got a 30 day money back, but i will not give her back, just wont her to get fixed & lets av some fun enit. Not much to ask hahahahha. Take care & happy riding.

Im thinking that I would sooner take it back to where I bought it, because if the warranty company finds reason to refuse to cover the repair, you could go back after the seller to make it right. The seller also has a reason to do everything in its power to try and convince the warranty company to cover it. Who knows, maybe the seller has exemplary after-sales service, making for a smooth trouble-free repair. The way blackpool has been treating you just makes the argument more compelling.

Back
Top Bottom