Rear shock absorber

Well Christmas came again at the end of January when the new Hagon Shock for the ST1100 showed up a couple of days ago. Looks like a seriously decent unit. They were sure great to work with. $450 delivered, Two year warranty.

I saw some posts about guys who were putting inner tubes over them to help keep crud out of the seals, so I got to thinking about what we do on our Trials bikes to protect the front forks seals and built a neoprene sleeve that goes over it. I've got them on my ST forks too. Had them on my V65 Sabre and Concours too and I've never had a seal failure in the twenty-five years I been making them.

Only one more month of winter then it should start warming up so I can get it mounted and start riding again!0128210904.jpg0128210930.jpgfork covers.jpg2015-05-24_11-01-19_915.jpg

Last edited:
I only have about 100 miles on mine so far, but wow. What a difference.
I still need to do something with the remote but it only took an hour to replace the unit.

Here's how I mounted my preload adjuster. Made a bracket that bolts to the right passenger grab handle. There is metal embedded in the vinyl wrap of the handle, which I drilled and tapped into, then used Loctite on the screws.

I had originally mounted it under the seat, but that was a PITA when I wanted to adjust it, so I came up with this. May not be the most "elegant" solution, but it works for me!

20200601_143143.jpg

Last edited:
i have a progressive 465 on the ST 1100, i don't have many miles on it so i haven't had enough miles to evaluate it. i have a used rebuilt penski shock on my ST 1300 that i'm very happy with
How do you feel about the 465 so far? Decided to order one for my bike but; of course, after placing the order, I get an email the next day that they are on "backorder" and not sure when it will be available. I just got the bike last summer; a '98 model and the stock shock is still on it. Ride is; shall we say, a tad rough and hope the 465 will smooth it out a bit....if it ever gets here..

i've put less than 50 miles on the ST 1100 since the shock was installed so i still don't know how it is. after i mounted the driving lights i dropped the bike off the shop ( a small shop with maybe four employees ) to have them wired up then covid hit and the owner never fully opened up for a lack of help

I broke down and ordered a Hagon with remote preload from a Canadian distributor, British Cycle Supply Co., who were great to deal with. Should be here early next week.

and built a neoprene sleeve that goes over it.

Great idea, Ned, can you give me an idea of dimensions or source of the neoprene you used?

Sirepair, that’s a nice bracket you made for the remote adjuster. If you don’t mind, I’m going to borrow that design!

Here's how I mounted my preload adjuster. Made a bracket that bolts to the right passenger grab handle. There is metal embedded in the vinyl wrap of the handle, which I drilled and tapped into, then used Loctite on the screws.

I had originally mounted it under the seat, but that was a PITA when I wanted to adjust it, so I came up with this. May not be the most "elegant" solution, but it works for me!

20200601_143143.jpg
Actually,,, that is pretty elegant !! CAt'

Andrew
You can make the swingarm protection yourself.
Use a rubber bucket easy to do and not so expensive.

Andrew
You can make the swingarm protection yourself.
Use a rubber bucket easy to do and not so expensive.
I don't have an ST1100 so I don't need one.
I posted that link in response to GGely asking for an idea of the dimensions. The picture on that website provides a good visual of the shape of the protector and how it is attached in the event that he wants make one himself.

Back
Top Bottom