Recommendations for a Phase Change Cooling vest?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Matt, once I get mine you are more than welcome to try it out.. I also have an evap vest in my closet you can try as well if it helps make up your mind.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When you get yours, let me know. If we could meet up at SP one Saturday, I'll bring Dee and she can try it out. That way you could take it home that day as well.
Sounds like a plan.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ray, I think we all appreciate your comments.

We rarely get the chance to converse with vendors about their products.

I know the cost is a tough hurdle for most, it was for me too, but I figure if this helps make my commute to/from work less miserable then I'll recoop the difference in gas from using my car.

I can't wait to give this a try and report my findings.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Ray I just got my package today and I'm quite impressed with the Santa vest. I cooled the packs to about half solid before I left work temps 84-85 by the time I got home around 14 miles the temp was about 81 and I was starting to get a little chilled by the time I got home AND I WAS PERFECTLY DRY when I got there . The system appears to work as advertised .
We are leaving on a 3000 mile trip on saturday morning for a week ride so by the time we get back I should have a real good impression of how well your product works. Thanks again for fast delivery and reasonable price.

STOC #
I rode 58 miles yesterday in 104deg F temps and was cool. The biggest difference I can tell is when it gets that hot it's almost hard to catch a breath. With the cool vest my trunk was cool and the rest of me liked it also. It made the opressive heat easily bearable. Worth the $'s for 1-2 hour rides.

My SO really likes it too. When she is out gardening/ watering in this heat, it really helps. I cut the grass at 3:00 yesterday just to see how much difference it makes at it made a lot. Not quite like an airconditioned cab, but there aren't too many 50" Zero turn mowers with A/C anyway ;+}

Time2Work
Neil S.

Gene

STOC #
Ray do you have any feedback on the vest with only using the front pads in moderate temps say up to around 90 or so ? As traveling with all the 2-up stuff for a week doesn't leave much room for packing more stuff this might allow cooling without carring a extra full set of packs. Also for the pillion rear packs might be a issue with the top box back rest pad and a armored jacket ?

Gene

STOC #
Are half thickness packs availble, they would be great for 2-up travel as they would recharge quicker and require lees packing space when not needed. When touring in the summer temps 1-1.5 hours of cooling would be enough for days cover 100-150 miles between stops

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
I bought a set last year after a very long 100+ temp ride through Georgia. I bought the Santa vest with 2 sets of packs. I got a collapsible waterproof double six-pack cooler at wally world. At night I freeze them (if I'm home) or do a 50-50 ice water solution if I'm at the no-tell motel. In the morning I put both in the cooler with ice and head out. When the temps hit 90 I put the vest on. After about 2.5 hours I swap the depleted one for a fresh one and let the ice do it's thing. At the first 300mi gas stop, I recharge the camelbak and re-ice the pack that looks the most depleted. I do this througout the day so I'm swapping out the packs about every 2.5 hours. As the day goes on, the ice doesn't fully recharge the packs as well as a cold soak and the respite from the high heat doesn't last as long, but it's still a lot better than suffering very high temps.

For those considering them, I'd suggest a slightly larger jacket as they add about 2" to your girth. At the end of the day, however, I feel more refreshed and less tired than without it. And since I'm filling the camelbak every fuel stop the time spent doing that is about the same as filling the cooler with ice.

This thread is rather old but here goes. Just ordered the coolvest over the polarproducts vest. The reason is that the coolvest will recharge in less time than the polarproducts vest, 20 minutes. Would like to hear from other people on what they bought and how it worked out for them.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
This thread is rather old but here goes. Just ordered the coolvest over the polarproducts vest. The reason is that the coolvest will recharge in less time than the polarproducts vest, 20 minutes. Would like to hear from other people on what they bought and how it worked out for them.
Which Cool Vest did you purchase? Glacier Tek Cool Vest or Texas Cool Vest?

Which of the Polar Products vest did you compare with and how fast does it recharge?

Thanks for sharing.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just ordered a polar vest, haven't got it yet. I read several favorable reviews on a GL forum. On their website they state it has a 20 minute recharge time, www.polarvest.com. The deciding factor for me was a 10% discount, use GL1800 as the coupon code if you are interested.

Top Bottom