OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
During my recent trip from TX to the Grand Canyon and back I got poured on on my last day of the trip. I was in Caprock Canyon State Park in TX and the sky opened up.

The inside of the tent was completely dry. I did find a trick that others probably already knew. I was staking my tent, puttin on the rainfly and using the same stakes I used for the test for the rainfly. I was in Kerrville, TX on a ride and it just barely rained and the tent was leaking but what really happened is the rainfly was touching the mesh part of the tent and any water seeping in through vents would go directly into the tent.

This time, I staked the rainfly taught and with extra/separate stakes and it didn't matter how much it was raining, I was dry the whole night. Now, if I'd only remembered to take the XM SkiFi off the cradle and put it in the trunk that night I'd be a littler happier. :evil:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Is there room to stow your saddlebags under the canopy or in the tent?

Curt

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bster13 said:
In mine? Absolutely. It sleeps my GF and I plus my crap.

I think it's the best bargain going around...now u help me out....How the heck do I store the tent and two sleeping pads on the bike when the GF rides with me? :(
That's a rough one... I'm thinking backpack... but, that might crowd her a little... I don't think I'd put that much weight on a trunk rack.

If you didn't have a trunk and you could get a passenger backrest, you might be able to get one of those backrest bags to pack camping gear more efficiently.

Or, a trailer.... or, get her her own bike...

I think I'm out of suggestions...

STOC #
GF.....hmm.........Grandfather?...no........Godfather?...no........OOOHHHH!...Girlfriend!....Got it now. Though it was a little weird camping and riding with your grandfather!

Brian :D

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Tor,

Chris and I used the Rei Taj in Tahoe at WeSTOC IX.
We liked it; and, you've mentioned the only issue with the tent, it doesn't fit in the saddle bags.

Mark

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Mark said:
Tor,

Chris and I used the Rei Taj in Tahoe at WeSTOC IX.
We liked it; and, you've mentioned the only issue with the tent, it doesn't fit in the saddle bags.

Mark
Was going to strap it across the rear seat. I have to strap the rest of the paraphernalia there too (pad/sleeping bag etc.) Saddlebags will be full anyway for sure. Lois rides a VTX1300. Think I could get her to tote it? :D

But really,,it looks very nice. It has good reviews too.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I put 2 Thermarest pads, the Raj, camp stove (SVEA 123), white gas (actually unleaded) and some laundry soap into a dry bag and strapped it on the back seat of the ST1100.

Curt posted his method for using the backseat in this thread (with pictures) https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7002&highlight=straps+curt it looks like it might be a good way to use the rear seat.

Especially if you can't talk SWMBO into carrying it on the VTX!!! :)

Mark

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
We went ahead on a Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 3. We shall see how it works out. I'll give you the bulletpoints after I've used it a couple of times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom