Removing The 'Jitters' From A Video

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I know I could buy a more expensive video camera that has that feature built in. ;)
But has anyone found a good piece of video editing/converting software that removes the jitters from videos?
I'm looking for software that will run on WIN 10 PRO 64 bit.
I am not opposed to paying for a package that works - unless they are super expensive - but free would be nice! :biggrin:
Also, any ideas on dealing with the reflection you get from the windshield if you run the camera behind the windshield?
Just curious what your experiences have been.
Thanks as always.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
can you be more descriptive regarding the jitters. Are you referring to the camera bumping around and producing an unstable image, or some kind of glitching in the video stream?

If the former, then a package that can perform image stabilization is what you want. If the latter then any video editing program would allow you to edit out the glitches.

I've always liked Sony Movie Studio, which is now Magix. There's a bit of a learning curve to it, but that's true of any good video editor. Here's a link to a special offer they sent me recently, a lot of capability for $60.

CAVEAT: it is an upgrade offer since I already own one of their previous versions, so I'm not sure if this offer would work if you don't already have something to upgrade from.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Most current editors tout some form of video "stabilization" in post production, and as you may imagine, have varying degrees of success.
I use Pinnacle Studio mainly, but they upgrade it once or twice a year.
I'm about 3 years behind in versions, because their image / video stabilization has been hit and miss.
Going forward however, obviously the best results come from a non-jittery original video (obviously), and some of that also relates to picking the optimum capture rate / frame rate for your intended output, whether 50hz or 60hz monitor, TV, etc.
Intentionally vague, in hopes a "real" video production member will dig me out of the hole I've started...

I'll answer this part for now :

It you had a still image, you could spend under an hour clone-stamping every pixel affected by a reflection.

But with video, your two choices are: do the same as above, frame by frame, or ... accept it's impossible.

EDIT: there are tricks to reduce the glare, but it can't be completely removed.
For the jitter question ... I'll have to research the video editing software I use for the hard-core video editing I do. Why... cause they all (I use about four different tools) run on my Linux desktops and laptops. i.e., I'll need to check if any of the tools are avail for Win10.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 'reflection' question better stated is more on how to 'stop it' on the front end as I realize fixing afterwards ain't much of an option.
Just wondering on that topic if there is some sort of 'shade'/filter or something that could cut down on reflections.
I know if I move the camera out from behind the windshield, that would fix it.
But I like it where I can easily turn the camera off/on and it has some protection from road 'stuff' hitting it.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, Windows Movie Maker (which I have) has 'stabilization' options (now that I know the proper search term I could Google it).
I processed the same video through it twice and it helps a lot.
But keep the suggestions coming as it is helpful for sure.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, Circular Polarizing Filter.
But you may need to adjust it from time to time, based on where you and the bike (I'm presuming) are, in relation to the sun.
I'm imagining you on a twisty road, riding and taking video... I know, I know.
I don't know why I would think that...

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
1. Get a newer Gopro. An old 5 is so cheap and way better than those before. I can't imagine a 6 7 8 9 10 or 11.
2. A Gopro mounted on the windscreen shakes a lot. I mounted mine on the top edge and the video was deleted.

Bike
Scrambler Ducati
I use Kdenlive in Linux. It has stabilization that works OK but with the camera mounted to the handlebar it is hard to get rid of all of it. Also, light and shadow tends to make the stabilization go nuts. If I have some video that is just unwatchable, I'll get some stills out with VLC Media Player and make a slideshow. My current camera is a $25 thing I got just to play with.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
1. Get a newer Gopro. An old 5 is so cheap and way better than those before. I can't imagine a 6 7 8 9 10 or 11.
Now you've done it!
I wasn't going to go there, because UP was asking about editing "existing" video.
But yeah, in a more perfect world, a newer GoPro would possibly negate the question.
GoPro 9 and newer has made some AMAZING improvements with in- camera stabilization.
Even so, a more secure / less vibrating mount point will improve the final product.
Now, back to the original question...how to edit wiggles and jiggles out of videos already recorded.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now you've done it!
I wasn't going to go there, because UP was asking about editing "existing" video.
But yeah, in a more perfect world, a newer GoPro would possibly negate the question.
GoPro 9 and newer has made some AMAZING improvements with in- camera stabilization.
Even so, a more secure / less vibrating mount point will improve the final product.
Now, back to the original question...how to edit wiggles and jiggles out of videos already recorded.
Please see Post #1, Line #1 ... ;)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
My 'reflection' question better stated is more on how to 'stop it' on the front end as I realize fixing afterwards ain't much of an option.
Just wondering on that topic if there is some sort of 'shade'/filter or something that could cut down on reflections.
I know if I move the camera out from behind the windshield, that would fix it.
But I like it where I can easily turn the camera off/on and it has some protection from road 'stuff' hitting it.
Almost all cameras can use either a U/V 0 filter or a polarizing filter that will get rid of the glare. They are not expensive.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I know I could buy a more expensive video camera that has that feature built in. ;)
But has anyone found a good piece of video editing/converting software that removes the jitters from videos?
I'm looking for software that will run on WIN 10 PRO 64 bit.
I am not opposed to paying for a package that works - unless they are super expensive - but free would be nice! :biggrin:
Also, any ideas on dealing with the reflection you get from the windshield if you run the camera behind the windshield?
Just curious what your experiences have been.
Thanks as always.
I am a photojournalist / video editor for a television network. Almost all video editing software platforms have image stabilization effects built in. Some work better than others. Jitters and object stabilization require different approaches. Let's say that I was pointing my camera up into the sky to follow and airplane and the airplane was bouncing all over the camera frame. Video stabilization can fix most of that by cropping and adjusting. If what you are experiencing is straight forward high frequency vibration, it may be fixable if there are enough good frames to work with. You can download Magix Vegas Pro 20 for a free 30 day trial to test it out. I can walk you through the testing process. Or, depending on the length of your video, I can fix this for you. You would just need to send me the video via my WeTransfer account.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I was going to suggest a polarizing filter... toughest thing will be finding one to fit your camera or modifying one to do so. As to stabilization, best if you can do that in the camera but the suggestions above are all good about doing it in editing. When and if it comes time to ugrade your camera, I know the last 3-4 models of GoPros are great but they are overpriced and I keep seeing vloggers having glitches with them. There are very decent cameras out there at 1/2 the price.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am a photojournalist / video editor for a television network. Almost all video editing software platforms have image stabilization effects built in. Some work better than others. Jitters and object stabilization require different approaches. Let's say that I was pointing my camera up into the sky to follow and airplane and the airplane was bouncing all over the camera frame. Video stabilization can fix most of that by cropping and adjusting. If what you are experiencing is straight forward high frequency vibration, it may be fixable if there are enough good frames to work with. You can download Magix Vegas Pro 20 for a free 30 day trial to test it out. I can walk you through the testing process. Or, depending on the length of your video, I can fix this for you. You would just need to send me the video via my WeTransfer account.
I can find Magic Vegas Pro 14 reasonably priced. Is that too many versions back or would it work?
I do appreciate your kindness on offering to fix it!

Bike
2005 st1300
As far as the vibration issue, I would start at the source and try to cut it out with a vibration damping mount. In a quick google search, I found this vid of a guy that mounted a gopro at his rear axle. He then came up with a mount to clean up the vibration. Frankly, Im surprised at how well it "cleaned up" the vibration. He says there was no digital manipulation, but it IS the internet, so YMMV. Luckily, the mount is cheap, so it may be worth trying

This looks like the mount he used. Pretty inexpensive... https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Gimbal-Vibration-Phantom-Walkera/dp/B00NSF79EO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2HWY65HJZKC5G&keywords=gopro+vibration+mount&qid=1676386292&sprefix=gopro+vibration+mount,specialty-aps,92&sr=8-1

Top Bottom