Removing Throttlemeister

I'm trying to remove the left-side Throttlemeister bar end, and when I turn the allen bolt, I can hear the entire mechanism turning inside the bar. The bike came with the Throttlemeister installed, and I'm guessing the PO used loctite on the bolt.

I was able to remove the right-side Throttlemeister bar end using brute force (pulling and twisting the bar end). So far, this method hasn't worked on the left side - I believe the left-side uses the stock internal weight assembly. I also have Honda heated grips, so I don't really want to cut the grip to get a better look at the bar.

Any ideas?

Thanks

You are right about it being attached to the oem bar weight. I think I put something behind the weight and tapped it out with a hammer. Tap it lightly, the oem weight doesn't grip the bar very tight.

Thanks, that did the trick. I now have the stock bar ends back on, which leads to another issue - the PO cut down the left side heated grip to fit the Throttlemeister bar end, so now I have a gap between the grip end and the bar end...

He cut the grip flush with the end of the bar. The shaft of the weight butts up against the end of the bar, so the entire shaft is exposed.

ST1300LeftBarEnd.jpg

If those are Honda OEM Heated Grips, my bet is that your gonna have a gap there without the Throttlemeister or some other type of foam/rubber. One thing you might could do is buy a non-heated grip and cut to fit to fill in that gap.

They are OEM heated grips, and I do have a gap. I thought about cutting the end off a non-heated grip, but they are thinner than the heated grips.

I'm trying to decide whether to put the Throttlemeister's back on (just for looks, not for functionality) or replace the grip. If I could buy just the left grip, it would be an easy decision. I may go with a different heated grip - Hot Grips, Symtec + BMW grips, etc, if I can't find someone to sell me a single OEM heated grip.

I think I'd just put the throttlemeisters back on.. Even if you don't choose to use them, they look fine and will hide that "modification"...cheapest and easiest solution

David Silver Spares used to sell individual heated grips. I don't know if they still do or not.

I also have the Dual Star grip heaters under BMW grips, controlled by a Heat Troller. All good...but I do also have the heavy duty Throttlemeisters, not that they are necessary for the other items to work.

Will the Dual Star grip heaters work with the Honda heater control? It looks like it should, but I'm hoping for confirmation. Which model BMW grips do you use?

Will the Dual Star grip heaters work with the Honda heater control? It looks like it should, but I'm hoping for confirmation. Which model BMW grips do you use?

From everything I've read, Dual Stars and Symtecs are similar, if not the same elements. Compared to the Dual Stars in Hojo's post above, the Symtecs sure look identical. Having said that, I do know you can connect Symtecs to the Honda heated grip controller if you wire them in parallel (using the red and white wires, and leaving the blue wires disconneced).

If you can't sleep, here is a boring novel of how I interfaced Symtecs to the Honda controller: linky.

Matt

Why would you remove the throttlemeisters even if you are not going to use it ?
Best idea is to reinstall and use it or replce the heated grips

I added a Rostra cruise control with a Gold Wing switch. The switch pushes the throttle tube past the end of the bar by approx 1 inch. Hanging the Throttlemeister this far out causes it to be unstable, so it contacts the grip end even when it's not engaged. I've tried washers with an OD slightly smaller than the throttle tube, but the Throttlemeister is still not stable.

I put the internal bar weight and the stock bar end back on, and it's rock solid. I'd keep the Throttlemeister and my current heated grips if I could find a way to make it stable...

I'm sure you can use Dual Stars or Symtecs with a heat controller. I know on the Dual Stars they have two heating wires, one for high and the other for low. Just connect the High wire to the controller.

Another thought, I will go get my tape measure out, is to get some Grip Puppies and use them to cover any gap.

Here ya go. I have the Grip Puppies on my 2 bikes. They say it measures 4", but I measure it on my ST and it is 5" and the BMW it is 4 1/2". I guess I didn't push them on tight enough.

So you could fill in the gap with something, perhaps the stuff at Home Depot or Lowes that is used to insulate hot water pipes, then slip on the Grip Puppies to hide the newly filled gap.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/GPSMALL.html

I'd keep the Throttlemeister and my current heated grips if I could find a way to make it stable...

As you know Kevin, I have the same setup as you (GL1800 CC switches and Rostra).

Not trying to :BDH:, but I used a "short" version of the G2 throttle tube (excellent throttle response, btw), which allowed me to keep the Throttlemeister installed (using 5 or 6 washers inside the TM body and a different TM friction sleeve). Very stable, and it all works great together (BMW grips, heaters, TM, CC, adjustable Kuryakan GL1800 levers, etc..). See pics (in the link) in my previous post .

Matt

Back
Top Bottom