Replaced fork seals and front brake problem solved

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
This spring I replaced the brake fluid for the front brakes. Had the vacuum gear - the wife kept the oil tank full but when finished the brake lever felt spongy. We repeated the procedure but could not solve the problem.
Last Wed. I had the fork seals replaced. I installed the forks and front wheel. When I started to install the brakes I used a screwdriver and moved the pads back as far as I could. After installing them I squeezed the brake lever a few times and WOW, they moved an inch and stopped dead. No more spongey feel.

We went on a 250 mile run and the brakes worked great. My guess is when I forced the oil back into the reservoir it took the air with it.

Just thought I would share this with you.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This spring I replaced the brake fluid for the front brakes. Had the vacuum gear - the wife kept the oil tank full but when finished the brake lever felt spongy. We repeated the procedure but could not solve the problem.
Last Wed. I had the fork seals replaced. I installed the forks and front wheel. When I started to install the brakes I used a screwdriver and moved the pads back as far as I could. After installing them I squeezed the brake lever a few times and WOW, they moved an inch and stopped dead. No more spongey feel.

We went on a 250 mile run and the brakes worked great. My guess is when I forced the oil back into the reservoir it took the air with it.

Just thought I would share this with you.
Its very common for an air bubble to hide behind the piston(s), most often in the rear caliper.
This is why I recommend replacing the pads everytime I do a brake bleed, or visa versa, that way I can move the pistons and purge the system of these sneeky little bubbles.
Kudo's on you for finding it.
Igofar

Top Bottom