Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

You can also list the Triumph Trophy in your list of all-new sport touring bikes.
Forgot that one.

Other than HD, I would expect that England buys more motorcycles per capita than in the con US. For example, Italy buys about three times the number of BMWs that the US buys each year.

I look back at some of the places I've ended up on my ST and wonder what the h3ll I was thinking (or who the h3ll I was following!). One comes to mind: I was on Billy Winter's six in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. We all had the route on our GPS. Billy made a turn that looked correct given the purple line but we ended up on an unmaintained two-track dirt "road" that dead ended at a gate that clearly hadn't been opened in a long, long time. Probably the most impressive 180 I've ever managed.

Although there was that time in Ontario. We were on our way to the Cove Restaurant, but GPS was guiding us to the Cove Marina. After a couple dirt roads we found ourselves at the bottom of a boat launch. Another good 180, and no margin for error!

I've managed to wrangle that big-boned ST plenty of times, but I'd like something lighter that isn't so tall that I get altitude sickness just sitting on it.
Yes, I know! I've had my ST on dirt and gravel before and pinched my share of the Sargent saddle up in the middle under me but these were almost always bad decisions followed by a slow awareness of that process. The NC OTOH takes to soft roads well and I look forward to some mild "adventures" that aren't so "adventurous".

There's a lot of us. I have put nearly 20k on my NC700X in a little over a year, something like 7k touring on it. Riding it to the top of North Fork Mountain in WV on loose gravel was something I never would have done on my ST.
Mostly been riding our DL650 this year. I took the ST13 for a last ride of the season last weekend. When I went to start it, the battery was dead. Then I realized that I hadn't actually touched it since August...

Forgot that one.

Other than HD, I would expect that England buys more motorcycles per capita than in the con US. For example, Italy buys about three times the number of BMWs that the US buys each year.
I read somewhere this year the NC700X had been the second best selling bike in Italy, Spain, and UK following the BMW GS/GSA.

On that I am sure you are 100% correct. The culture, the travel distances, fuel costs, parking space, all favor motorcycle or scooter ownership. My one European experience was very eye opening. So Many Motorcycles! They were everywhere! And it is actually cool to ride a scooter!

No doubt our motorcycle requirements are different from theirs as well. I can tell you that Harley is NOT the most common motorcycle in England. Over here a motorcycle is a toy. In Europe it is first a tool, then a toy.

On that I am sure you are 100% correct. The culture, the travel distances, fuel costs, parking space, all favor motorcycle or scooter ownership. My one European experience was very eye opening. So Many Motorcycles! They were everywhere! And it is actually cool to ride a scooter!

No doubt our motorcycle requirements are different from theirs as well. I can tell you that Harley is NOT the most common motorcycle in England. Over here a motorcycle is a toy. In Europe it is first a tool, then a toy.

Yeah, but if you spread out those scooters across the US it wouldn't look like there were so many of them right? Look at this website with sales and export figures. The US is still the largest export market for Asian motorcycle companies and second for BMW behind Germany.

We're still an important market.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

I don't think it includes scooters.

The "trend" toward ADV bikes is very real though and makes lots of sense. Just ask Mellow about swapping his ST for an ADV. You get similar luggage capacity and handling along with fewer limits on where you can ride. Plus, ADV bikes are "Cool" right now. Will that last?

Yep, defected a couple years ago. Just fun to ride.

Yeah, but if you spread out those scooters across the US it wouldn't look like there were so many of them right? Look at this website with sales and export figures. The US is still the largest export market for Asian motorcycle companies and second for BMW behind Germany.
That is interesting. The last numbers that I saw (I think in the MOA Owners News a couple of years ago) had Italy way out in front of the US. But I think that was before the K1600 was released. So BMW have really grown their US market since then.

North America is the largest market for Asian manufacturers and we get locked out of the good bikes until they are old models. Doesn't make sense.

That is interesting. The last numbers that I saw (I think in the MOA Owners News a couple of years ago) had Italy way out in front of the US. But I think that was before the K1600 was released. So BMW have really grown their US market since then.
Not really. BMW will maybe sell 13,000 bikes in the US this year. 2012 saw 1000 K1600s imported in the USA. Still, they topped 10,000 US bikes sold just a few years ago so 33% growth sounds like a lot until you look at unit sales numbers.

BMW reports 7,718 North American motorcycle sales for the first 6 months of 2013. I did not find any #s regarding specific model sales.

North America is the largest market for Asian manufacturers and we get locked out of the good bikes until they are old models. Doesn't make sense.

+1.

I've already got a wall in the house picked-out in which to repeatedly bang my head, should Honda not import the CrossTourer in two days.

Dealer in Springfield, MO claims there will be announcements made on the 20th. Has no idea what.

Are you sure about that? From Honda's corporate website.

Screen+Shot+2013-11-19+at+8_09_44+AM.png

Remember too that these figures include dirt bikes and quads which IIRC, make up about 50% of the North American market.

Dealer in Springfield, MO claims there will be announcements made on the 20th. Has no idea what.
Ma Honda releases an instructional video to the Honda Dealers with detailed info of the new bikes and or changes of existing models. I was at a dealership when the CTX1300 video just downloaded, they let me watch with it in the managers office. At the end of the video it was then said on the 20th Nov the remaining models and changes will be released
(talk about teasing the hell out of the dealerships)

Back
Top Bottom