Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 20??

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014?

I like the Ion Blue metallic. Not as pretty as the 04 Coronado Blue Pearl but still nice, and should be fast too. :D
Yeah, that Ion Blue is cool looking and probably wouldn't fade as much as our Coronado Blue would, if they were left out in the sun most of the time. I'd hate to find out that fading slows down the fastest color.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

Same as my 2003 ST1300 and over $5000 more to boot. Yawn.
Not really, and not as much of an offset as you would pay for exactly the same bike (ST1300) were it offered in the US. I paid under $12K for my '04 ST13ABS in '04 - the same bike, sans revisions costs $6K+ more 10 years later? At least the new FJR has many of the features ST owners have been holding their breath for the last decade. Right?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

At least the new FJR has many of the features ST owners have been holding their breath for the last decade. Right?
A gear indicator?? All of the other stuff is… Interesting. I'd appreciate it if I got a new bike but I wouldn't be particularly tempted to upgrade. But a gear position indicated would definitely get my attention.

I wouldn't consider an upgrade just for that but that is what would make all the other stuff a consideration.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
... and over $5000 more to boot. Yawn.
This has been covered elsewhere, but the price of an ST is currently 25% less than it was in 2003. Thanks to a dollar that's weaker than the yen, you don't see that on the sticker.

Does make you wonder how Yamaha can build the FJR so cheap, doesn't it?

--Mark

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving

A gear indicator?? All of the other stuff is… Interesting. I'd appreciate it if I got a new bike but I wouldn't be particularly tempted to upgrade. But a gear position indicated would definitely get my attention.

I wouldn't consider an upgrade just for that but that is what would make all the other stuff a consideration.
I know if I'm in the right gear by listening to the engine... But... It HAS a gear position indicator, cruise, TC, ride modes, heated grips standard, more adjustable suspension, and a 12V outlet.

What it needs is a 6 speed box, a rain mode, better fuel economy, heated seats, and to lose 40-50 lbs - IMO.

Kirby

KurbSTer
STOC #
Re: Replacement for the Honda ST1300 in 2014? A short article with responses.

Fiddle with the ratios? How does one do that. I would be happy with a taller final drive. I wonder if the CTX1300 ring and pinion would fit our
ST? Has anyone checked into that?

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

I bought an FJR because I wanted a new bike......that was lighter, more powerful, runs on REGULAR, comes with ABS, TC, 2 driving modes (touring makes a great rain mode), factory cruise, factory FI is much smoother and the TBW is excellent....the ES suspension is great on the go adjustment.....and it's RED.....I ride for fun....and it tripped my fun-o-meter........YMMV................ff............BTW, nothing needs a 6th gear, not the FJR or the ST........oh yeah, I forgot about the heated grips.....

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I wonder if the CTX1300 ring and pinion would fit our ST? Has anyone checked into that?
It'll fit perfectly. It's the same part.

--Mark

Bike
2005 ST1300

Does not sound like a new ST, which would be competing directly with the CTX. Europe will be getting the 1st model year ST before the USA anyway.
My guess would be something 500cc or less. Beyond that, I wonder if even Honda knows.

I'm scouting around on availability of the NC700 DCT nearest my area and may decide after 1 Apr, whether I buy or not.

I don't see why the ST1300 replacement would be competing with the CTX1300?? Two totally different bikes IMHO. CTX is a cruiser.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I don't see why the ST1300 replacement would be competing with the CTX1300?? Two totally different bikes IMHO. CTX is a cruiser.
It's not, people just think that because of the engine..

STOC #

I bought an FJR because I wanted a new bike......that was lighter, more powerful, runs on REGULAR, comes with ABS, TC, 2 driving modes (touring makes a great rain mode), factory cruise, factory FI is much smoother and the TBW is excellent....the ES suspension is great on the go adjustment.....and it's RED.....I ride for fun....and it tripped my fun-o-meter........YMMV................ff............BTW, nothing needs a 6th gear, not the FJR or the ST........oh yeah, I forgot about the heated grips.....
Like Flyfisher, I moved on and bought a 14 FJR ES at the end of Jan. Just got back from a 2-week trip to the western states- 4900mi in 13 days. Agree with everything Flyfisher says but want to add one thing: Finally got to ride the FJR in hot weather- high 90s. Took my gloves off for a short time to ride & feel the heat from the bike in various places. Tank doesn't get warm, much less hot. No hot air around my crotch. The only warm air is just above the ankle on my boots- not hot, just warm. I can even avoid most of that by moving my feet out on the pegs, but I don't bother- it's not that hot. I had my 03 ST for 7 years & 100k miles. The inner fairing panels were cut away for improved air flow and it was considerably cooler than my friend's 06. Still, my 03 was sweltering to ride in conditions where I don't notice any heat at all on the FJR.

On long hauls through IA, SD, WY, KS etc. The cruise control allowed me to relax. Putting the suspension on the Soft damping setting smooths out the expansion joints & ripples on long, straight roads. My longest day was 784mi in 13-1/2 hrs including stops. I finished the day relaxed and didn't feel tired.

As much as I loved my ST, I would have been pooped after that ride- the stiff damping of the front forks would have pounded me, my right arm would hurt from the constant attention to the throttle and my crotch & legs would be baked after that ride.

The FJR now has 12.5k miles. Buying it was the best decision I have made in a long time. 2nd best decision is getting a Russell Day-Long seat for the FJR. (Had one on the ST too)

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Like Flyfisher, I moved on and bought a 14 FJR ES at the end of Jan. Just got back from a 2-week trip to the western states- 4900mi in 13 days. Agree with everything Flyfisher says but want to add one thing: Finally got to ride the FJR in hot weather- high 90s. Took my gloves off for a short time to ride & feel the heat from the bike in various places. Tank doesn't get warm, much less hot. No hot air around my crotch. The only warm air is just above the ankle on my boots- not hot, just warm. I can even avoid most of that by moving my feet out on the pegs, but I don't bother- it's not that hot. I had my 03 ST for 7 years & 100k miles. The inner fairing panels were cut away for improved air flow and it was considerably cooler than my friend's 06. Still, my 03 was sweltering to ride in conditions where I don't notice any heat at all on the FJR.

On long hauls through IA, SD, WY, KS etc. The cruise control allowed me to relax. Putting the suspension on the Soft damping setting smooths out the expansion joints & ripples on long, straight roads. My longest day was 784mi in 13-1/2 hrs including stops. I finished the day relaxed and didn't feel tired.

As much as I loved my ST, I would have been pooped after that ride- the stiff damping of the front forks would have pounded me, my right arm would hurt from the constant attention to the throttle and my crotch & legs would be baked after that ride.

The FJR now has 12.5k miles. Buying it was the best decision I have made in a long time. 2nd best decision is getting a Russell Day-Long seat for the FJR. (Had one on the ST too)
Now that is a great report on that FJR.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

Good report Norm. Any commentary on handlebar buzz or vibs between the FJR and ST?

STOC #

Good report Norm. Any commentary on handlebar buzz or vibs between the FJR and ST?
No significant buzz in the handlbars or anywhere else for me, other than just a bit at 80+ mph running with the windshield all the way up in a 30mph headwind.

ST was slightly smoother, but difference is negligible for me.

FJR has much less air turbulence & noise in all comparisons except the ST is very quiet when the windshield is up all the way.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

The FJR now has 12.5k miles.
Glad you like your bike....how long did the rear tire last? Heading west next week and don't want to have any unpleasant surprises in the tire department..........thanks...............ff

STOC #

Glad you like your bike....how long did the rear tire last? Heading west next week and don't want to have any unpleasant surprises in the tire department..........thanks...............ff
Replied to this yesterday but it didn't go through. 2nd try:

Earlier this season ran a PR4GT to 3 MSTA rallies for a total of 5080 intense miles in GA, WI, & NC.

New Mich 180/55 zr17 PR4 GT rear: .240” wear bar, .270” total. Wear rate for the intense riding above: .040”/k, so I estimate about about 6k mi total life.

For the western trip had to put on a new tire. It was a PR4 (NOT GT, as no one had any GT's available.) New tread depth is .026" less than the GTversion.
New Mich 180/55 zr17 PR4 rear: New depth: .215” wear bar, .245” total depth
Western trip- after 4910 mi, .102” wear bar .023”/k. so I estimate about about 9k mi total life,
BUT
the Western trip included a lot of constant speed highway miles. This tire wear rate may work for you on your Western trip, but I consider that a special case for me. (We carved the twisties and ran 6-9 over the speed limit on all the main roads. plenty of spirited riding and passing of slow traffic.)

My advice: Start your trip with fresh tires so you don't have to worry. Having to buy a tire on the trip will wipe out any savings of starting with partially worn tires.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

Thanks Norm.....it looks like you never ran the 023s it came with.....I'm using them up..................ff

Top Bottom