Replacing back protector with Camelback

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Just wondering if other have tried this? It seems too logical...

Fill a standard Camelback with 90% ice and then replacing the back protector in your jacket with it? Mine fits right in place on my FirstGear jacket. The spine does not get quite the bloodflow the wrist and neck might get, but it's gotta help some? No?

Heck of a lot cheaper then an EskimoVest, and I can drink it. Of course, a lot less cooling then an Eskimo I imagine (never tried one).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Someone - Mike - was doing this at NatSTOC. He liked it.

Obviously, if you fell and landed on your bike the water will not compress or absorb any energy - I'm assuming, since I'm not 100% sure - so that 'hump' might actually cause more damage than no armor at all.

There are jackets like the Olympia x-moto and First Gear Kathmandu that have integrated bladders but keep the armor as well.

I've filled my camelbak w/ice+water before and it cools pretty good even w/back armor in place.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Gotta plan way ahead if you go that route I'd guess...

Schedule your accidents for early in your ride or your *back protector* will be out of water...

RCS

Here is a suggestion, albeit a crazy one. Get a small 12 volt circulating fluid pump (fish pet supply store?), some rubber hosing, a T connection, and a one way valve.

Run the hosing up and down the inside back of your jacket. Connect the T connection to you camelbak, the hose, the pump, and the one way valve. Attach the circulating fuel pump to your electrical system. Put ice water in your Camelbak. You have just created an inexpensive cooling system and can either wear your camelbak or strap it to your back rack. Cost -- inexpensive.

I believe if block ice is used in the Camelbak the system may work for 4 hours.

Someone actually makes and sells these for about $200. Don't remember supplier. Maybe this one:

http://www.veskimo.com/how-cooling-vests-work.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Here is a suggestion, albeit a crazy one.
Been thinking about making one. Would probably use an old road reflective vest or a fleece zip up that is too small and headed for donation pile rather then mees with normal coat.

But this seemed even easier and cheaper, already own the Camelback. I just need an hour to 90 minutes of cooling to get me home from work. Was watching the OAT sensor show triple ones on the way home and it just makes it miserable. I though about putting some tape over the display and seeing if that makes it seem better...

RCS

Mellow had one of those vests that has pockets for cold packs, but he sold it. Maybe that is something to consider.

How often would you use this vest? - 1 month, 3 months, 5 months a year?

Or, and this may be better. You can make one of these phase cooling vests:

http://www.tuffrhino.com/Standard_Vest_p/hs3023.htm

Take that old fleece and sew in a couple of pockets that will hold refrigerated/frozen thin plastic ice packs. Maybe enough pocket for two in the back and two in the front. All you need is access to a freezer at work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Around St. Louis, probably 3-4 months a year. Need it each day for the ride home from work. I can't see the justification for the cost of the phase change vests or the pre-made circulating pump style. I just have a simple 90 minute commute in warmer then comfortable weather, the problem is when you hit the unexpected traffic.

Of course if I did have a better functioning system I might go for some weekend rides, but the SO won't join me and probably most of the local ST-owners would pass too.

And for right now.. I am planning on not needing my back protector... :eek:4:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow had one of those vests that has pockets for cold packs, but he sold it. Maybe that is something to consider.

Yeah, if I still commuted to work on the bike I would get another one. Here's my review and here is a discount on a similar one that someone posted with some minor differences.

JoeP posted his review of the Polar Vest in that same thread.

These work best without mesh gear from what I hear. I always had mesh and felt it was very nice for the 20 mile ride home and even though the packets turned from white to clear on the edges, there was a lot of cooling left in them.

Lucky

Carpe Diem
Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
I use a camelbak under my jacket and it ROCKS. First tried it when I went to FL this June to pick up the new (to me) ST1100A and had to ride back to TN in 105-107 degree temps. I filled it with ice and water during every 2 hours stretch break and it made a huge difference in my comfort level. Having ice on your back does a lot to keep you cool. When the ice would melt, I could feel my judgement affected by the high heat. I'd stop, fill it up with ice and presto, all better again.
It was weird but every time I would take a drink of the ice water (Camelbak hose sticking out of the top of my jacket) while riding, I felt immediately better... for a while.
Now, whatever the weather, I wear it under my jacket and can drink little sips all day to keep hydrated. Again, it Rocks!

Top Bottom