Review - Bridgestone Battlax 023 GT Tires

Bike
2003 ST
Hi all,

Thought you might find the following info helpful.

Prior to a recent trip 3,000-mile round-trip from New England to the Dragon in TN, I installed a set of 023 GTs on my STeed. There was not much info available about the GT version of these tires, so I took a chance and tried them out. Here is what I found...

HANDLING
The 023 GTs were great on the highway. They are quiet, responsive and provided a well-planted feel. I tried to ride both blue highways and interstates, and particularly enjoyed the well-planted feeling the tires provided on high-speed sweepers encountered on the blue highways.

IN THE WET
I had three days of rain on the way down to TN and the tires got a good workout in the wet. Coming off Avon Storms I was used to great wet weather performance. The 023s did not disappoint. Even in the wettest conditions they felt predictable and secure. I was able to cruise at 75 (indicated) with confidence in the rain and never felt the tires were squirrelly or close to losing adhesion.

IN THE DRY
Once I got to the Dragon the wx cleared and I had three blue-bird days. These great and dry condx gave me a chance to work the tires hard on dry pavement at steep lean angles. With pegs and center-stand dragging, the 023 GTs stuck like glue and never exhibited side-slip. In fact, my chicken strips on the 023s are narrower than those I had on the Avons, which surprised me. The 023 GTs were more than capable of handling the side loads of the ST at max lean angles. Repeated passes on the 11-mile Dragon route did not seems to adversely effect the tires. If anything, they got better as they warmed up. So good in fact I got a BIG speeding ticket at mile-marker 11 as I chased (and pushed) some Super-Moto guys. What fun!!

WEAR
Overall, I put about 3k miles on the tires and they show no appreciable wear. The rear might be exhibiting a bit of squaring off, but it is so minor it's really hard to discern. I was carrying about 70 lbs of gear with me on the trip, and I weigh 200, so the tires were not near their load max. I got 10k miles on the Avon Storm rear and expect the same from the 023GT.

CONCLUSIONS
I bought the 023 GTs with some reluctance. I was concerned the stiffer sidewall in the GT might adversely effect handling when riding solo. However, since wifey frequently rides pillion, I wanted a safe and secure platform under us both. And reading about the shredding of Avon Storm Ultras reported on this board, I knew another set of Avons was out of the question.

The 023 is one of the FEW tires load-rated for the ST and listed as a valid OEM replacement. For some reason, I find that comforting.

All in all, I recommend the 023GTs as replacement rubber. The jury is still out on overall mileage, but based on what I've seen so far, these tires are a fine choice for our high-performance bikes.

Chris

10K is about what I got on my previous set of BT23's and they were a big improvement handling wise compared to the Excedras that were on the wheels when I bought it last year

Thanks for the review. Just had a set delivered from Two Brothers the other day, and will be putting them on soon.

Changed my Avons for 023's and boy what a difference to the handling ! Grips 100 percent better in wet (90 percent rain in UK! ) & handles like a different bike. Well recommended

Just beware, I got 6100 miles out of a rear 023 on the 1300 and the steel was hanging out of it... didn't say if you were on an 1100 or 1300 so... never again on the 1300... wore poorly... I liked everything else about them... I was an Avon guy when I had my 1100 too. FWIW

Just beware, I got 6100 miles out of a rear 023 on the 1300 and the steel was hanging out of it... didn't say if you were on an 1100 or 1300 so... never again on the 1300... wore poorly... I liked everything else about them... I was an Avon guy when I had my 1100 too. FWIW
Was your worn BT023 the GT spec tire? It is well known the non-GT spec BT023 does not deliver high mileage but the GT tire is not the same construction. I also liked the regular 023s on my 1300 but they did not deliver any better mileage than Avon Storms which I favored at that time so I did not go with a second set. If the GT tires go 9000 miles or more I would consider them.

are these comparible to the BT 020's in mileage? I have used the OEM BT 020's since the bike was new. I am pretty pleased with the 020's but then again I have never tried any other brand of tire. I currently have around 62,000 miles on my bike, only tire ever used 020 .

I counted how many sets I have put on and I am at 6, I guess that averages just over 10,000 miles a set.

Greg

Last edited:
I've got 11k on a set of non GT 023's. I seem to get close to the same mileage (11-14k) on every tire I've used, 020's, PR2's, and the 023's.
I'll give the 023GT a try next.

3,500+ miles. Look like new. I hope I get 10K. Most other brands I'm getting between 8-9K We'll see.....They are sticky enough and ride very smooth. For the price I paid, from Two-Brothers...seem to be a good deal.

I too, have always had the BT 020's on my 1300. Never tried the 023's yet... Thanks for the writeup.... The milage I have got out of my last 020's have been somewhat dissappointing, around 8,000 miles, and they are at the wear bars on the rear.

I just put a set (from 2 Bros.) in prep for my 10K miles tour from Tucson north into Alberta, then east to Labrador, then south to So. Carolina...then another 100 miles to Lawrenceville, GA for another set if these make the distance. Will be carrying about 75 lbs. of gear, plus me (220). 42 lbs. in the front, 44 rear. Leaving Saturday, and will post ride reports when possible...will include tire performance info, too.

I have just installed my second set of 023 (not GT model). I got 18,000 km out of the first ones, and I love the handling. I thought they were much better than my previous Metzeller.

I ordered these from Tim at Two Brother's and just got them installed.
As quoted from their website, "George Catt's famous ST1100 Bridgestone combo, you won't be disappointed. Great mileage,handling and ride. G547 ST1100 / BT020 BMW K1200LT". I had a set of Bridgestone Exedra G547 /G548 with 15000 km. I cannot believe the difference in handling...sooo much better.

I posted this info on my ride report, but will also share here: First 1000 miles; on twisties, heat (95 degrees), cold (45 degrees); mountains, desert, 2 lane, gravel, slab. Fine tire. No problems at all. Corner well, even with load aboard. Very predictable. If they last my entire trip (10k miles), I will go down to Lawrenceville and get another set.
PS: had trouble on steep driveway paved with loose 2-3" river gravel. Almost went down...but did not.

Hi all,

Thought you might find the following info helpful.

Prior to a recent trip 3,000-mile round-trip from New England to the Dragon in TN, I installed a set of 023 GTs on my STeed. There was not much info available about the GT version of these tires, so I took a chance and tried them out. Here is what I found...

HANDLING
The 023 GTs were great on the highway. They are quiet, responsive and provided a well-planted feel. I tried to ride both blue highways and interstates, and particularly enjoyed the well-planted feeling the tires provided on high-speed sweepers encountered on the blue highways.

IN THE WET
I had three days of rain on the way down to TN and the tires got a good workout in the wet. Coming off Avon Storms I was used to great wet weather performance. The 023s did not disappoint. Even in the wettest conditions they felt predictable and secure. I was able to cruise at 75 (indicated) with confidence in the rain and never felt the tires were squirrelly or close to losing adhesion.

IN THE DRY
Once I got to the Dragon the wx cleared and I had three blue-bird days. These great and dry condx gave me a chance to work the tires hard on dry pavement at steep lean angles. With pegs and center-stand dragging, the 023 GTs stuck like glue and never exhibited side-slip. In fact, my chicken strips on the 023s are narrower than those I had on the Avons, which surprised me. The 023 GTs were more than capable of handling the side loads of the ST at max lean angles. Repeated passes on the 11-mile Dragon route did not seems to adversely effect the tires. If anything, they got better as they warmed up. So good in fact I got a BIG speeding ticket at mile-marker 11 as I chased (and pushed) some Super-Moto guys. What fun!!

WEAR
Overall, I put about 3k miles on the tires and they show no appreciable wear. The rear might be exhibiting a bit of squaring off, but it is so minor it's really hard to discern. I was carrying about 70 lbs of gear with me on the trip, and I weigh 200, so the tires were not near their load max. I got 10k miles on the Avon Storm rear and expect the same from the 023GT.

CONCLUSIONS
I bought the 023 GTs with some reluctance. I was concerned the stiffer sidewall in the GT might adversely effect handling when riding solo. However, since wifey frequently rides pillion, I wanted a safe and secure platform under us both. And reading about the shredding of Avon Storm Ultras reported on this board, I knew another set of Avons was out of the question.

The 023 is one of the FEW tires load-rated for the ST and listed as a valid OEM replacement. For some reason, I find that comforting.

All in all, I recommend the 023GTs as replacement rubber. The jury is still out on overall mileage, but based on what I've seen so far, these tires are a fine choice for our high-performance bikes.

Chris

I've tried to get 023 GTs for my St 1300 last fall and found out the size was not available for the ST's rear tire. Got info from the net and retailers in my vicinity. Bridgestone beeing a japanese company, they seemed to forget about Honda and fitted the FJR. Are you sure your rear tire is a GT or did the 170 ZR 17 size become available only recently ?

Had I finished my review of my recently purchased/installed BT023GT's it would have read likes Chris. Only about 2000 miles so far but I love the handling and performance of the GT's. "Like a rocket ship on rails" aptly describes the feeling whether on dry or wet, straight or twisties ... will get more from Two Brothers when the time comes! $230 and delivered quickly - they are worth it!

Back
Top Bottom