Pants Riding Pants

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Well I am either getting old or smarter at least I'm sure of one of them. I have a basic Tourmaster jacket with a few liners that I like does a nice job very versital. I am now trying to hunt down a pair of pants for riding. I started looking and found there's lots and the prices vary by over $1000. I am not looking to spend a fortune like to keep it in the under $200 range. Most of the time i'm in jeans but when it gets cold or im out touring I would like something better. Like to hear who's lasted a long time and whoe lasted maybe a season.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Given your requirements, I have a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic that have been around for 10-15 years and many miles. They work and they were not expensive. Maybe a used pair local you can upgrade and still save.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Everything with a known brand name is stupidly priced right now in my opinion. I've been looking at pants/jackets and one piece suits and here in Canukistan that will run me about a grand (add taxes, duties and possible shipping)

top jacket/suit Amazon.ca, bottom jacket/pants Ebay.ca

1679355003579.png

Those of you in USA be glad.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well I am either getting old or smarter at least I'm sure of one of them. I have a basic Tourmaster jacket with a few liners that I like does a nice job very versital. I am now trying to hunt down a pair of pants for riding. I started looking and found there's lots and the prices vary by over $1000. I am not looking to spend a fortune like to keep it in the under $200 range. Most of the time i'm in jeans but when it gets cold or im out touring I would like something better. Like to hear who's lasted a long time and whoe lasted maybe a season.
Check out Motorcyclegear.com. They carry many brands. There’s plenty to fit your budget and get name brand protective apparel. I’ve gotten good value out of Tour Master, Cortech, and Joe Rocket.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
what size are you? I have a pair of Tourmaster riding pants (with zip in/out thermal liner) like new that no longer fit my expanding waistline. I think they are 34-36's, I'd be willing to part with well within your budget with change to spare. You can PM me if you wish.

sold

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Almost nothing fits me, it's all cut for people with skinny legs and fat waists. I'd recommend trying on anything you are considering. Garbage fit negates the low price. Cycle Gear allows you to ship to the nearest store for free. If you don't like it, return it right there, no problem. If you are comfortable in jeans and want warmth try Carhartt B111 lined canvas work pants. I wear these all winter, very warm and durable.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Buying new name brand stuff is expensive - but worth it. Were I a few years younger I'd be more apt to spend the big bucks for a good suit now that I know what I want. However, at my age, I'm not sure how many years I have left so i go used - ebay or here or, God forbid, FB marketplace. (I don't have a FB account, will never have a FB account, so I have to use friends accounts - and that's silly if I'm not going to open my own.) There is a lot of good used gear out there...just watch and be patient. Cloth offers no protection if you get off the bike, and there are enough opportunities for all sorts of bodily damage - sanding my skin away is not something I'm willing to risk. If I want dermabrasion, I'll pay a dermatologist.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
……. Cloth offers no protection if you get off the bike, and there are enough opportunities for all sorts of bodily damage - sanding my skin away is not something I'm willing to risk. If I want dermabrasion, I'll pay a dermatologist.
If by cloth you mean cotton denim jeans I agree. There are ballistic textiles that offer decent to highly rated protection but nothing matches leather for abrasion resistance.

Got a used Aerostich roadcrafter coat and utility pants for under 500. Great all weather gear... I also have a set of joe rocket vfr coat and pants. About 325. Summer gear.... A used set of dariens would be worthwhile....imho.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I also have several riding pants in the 36-38 inch range that I don't use. Once I got my 'stich I pretty much stopped wearing the other stuff and they have been in the closet ever since. I have riding overpants and denim "riding" jeans that have reinforced areas of kevlar or other such materials. If you are interested send me a PM and I can send pictures/details of anything that you might be interested in.

Bike
94 magna, 07 goldwin
plus one on motorcyclegear.com great company to do business with....

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
plus one on motorcyclegear.com great company to do business with....
Make that a Plus-2, and I'm not just talking sizes here.
I've done business with them for years (remember my motto is "Never pay retail!"), ever since they began as NewEnough, a Texas-based family business selling and buying USED gear. I first ordered (many years ago) a Hein-Gericke pants and jacket in all leather, at much less than half of new retail pricing, and you KNOW how expensive good leather is.
This was so "used" that it was still supple / stiff and didn't even have any wear creases in it yet. Still have that set, and it still fits me (advantages of high metabolism, I guess... or maybe tapeworms.)
Also got a now-discontinued Belstaff Discovery jacket, brand new and more than half off SRP.
Now, the modern motorcyclegear.com frequently discounts last-year models, as many manufacturers are keen on offering different colors for a new season, so as to appear fresh.
Get on their email list, and you'll see all their special sales and clearance items; you'll likely find what you're looking for within your budget.
I haven't bought anything from them in some time, as I have not worn anything out, half-a-dozen jackets and about 4 pairs of riding britches. Probably half of all of it came from mc-gear over the years.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I'd rather buy used high quality gear, than less quality new gear. Look for used Aerostich or Klim gear. They will last for YEARS if well cared for and not abused. I bought used Aerostich gear and will never go back to anything lesser. Check facebook marketplace, offerup, craigslist, or ADVrider.com. I've seen high quality riding gear for reasonable prices at all of these spots. Happy hunting.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Check out ebay for Motoport/Cycleport gear. They make a kevlar mesh and a stretch Kevlar mesh. Much better tear strength than leather. The only textile suit approved by AMA for roadracing. You may get a broken bone in a getoff but you won't lose any hide.

Bike
2004 ST1300
As always thank you for your input and kind offers. I have a few options to go check out now.
Good luck.
As previously mentioned there are alot of sales on ATM. I picked up a pair of Klim Torrent Overpants. They are GoreTex and keep me dry. They also have hip and knee armor. Vents when it's hot. During colder trips I wear a base layer. No complaints here for $350 at the time.
My 2 cents.
Dave

Top Bottom