Road Attacks ???????

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I'd think they would be a little scarry on wet roads.... just a thought. I have Avon Vemoms on my shadow and they kinda push the water onto my feet. Looks like that what those would do too. Let us know how they work!

I have just completed a 3,000 mile around Europe trip on a set of Conti road attacks and have nothing but praise for them. They are great in the wet (better than the original bridgestones) and inspire confidence. Wear and grip are fantastic.

OP
OP
naturally wired

naturally wired

Rides Uwibami+Kura-Okami
:) Thanks guy's.......they worked great on the ZZR1200....so I was thinking they would make a good ST1300 tire as well!....I went to Pilot Powers on the ZZR1200 and they are even better in ways then the Attacks were.......sadly the Powers don't come in ST sizes :-? ....alot of the guy's on the ZZRbikes.com site swear by the Attacks....milage is not a issue for me ......the stockers got the same 5k that the two sets of Roads that i've tried....now at 15,500 its about time for set #4....the real only reason for the change is that the Roads seam to give me vibs at higher speeds....I am more of a aggressive rider than a rain rider, although that being said a nice summer rain will call me out on the ST at times :-D

I would rate the Roads........Stockers............Attacks on ZZR
Rain=excellent...................good..................good
Tar snakes=excellent..........very bad -10.......excellent
Twisties=excellent.............scary!!!...............excellent
High speed=good...............bad....................excellent
Milage=good.....................good..................good

At this point I'm really thinking of going this way....if I do I will also report on them!

Last edited:

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The ST1300 comes stock with either Dunlops or Bridgestones. From the looks of your chart, stockers must mean Dunlops.

Ray

OP
OP
naturally wired

naturally wired

Rides Uwibami+Kura-Okami
The ST1300 comes stock with either Dunlops or Bridgestones. From the looks of your chart, stockers must mean Dunlops.

Ray

No they were Stones!......................................the shape of the tires didn't help it in the corners....the pattern of the front followed the snakes!....and at high speeds it would hit a line in the road and try to follow it....no fun at all ......Ken.....

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Wow, that's really interesting.

I tried a set of Pilot Roads. Besides the horrible howling, they slipped, slid and squirmed all over tar snakes (pucker factor of 8 repeatedly). Never a tar snake problem in 60k miles of the oem Bridgestones. I really noticed no difference between the two at high speeds but really noticed a loss of handling with the PRs, slow speed and serious California twisties. Some people seem to like the loss of quick steering. Never had a Bridgestone slip, wet or dry so I really can't say which is better there.

Ray

OP
OP
naturally wired

naturally wired

Rides Uwibami+Kura-Okami
Wow, that's really interesting.

I tried a set of Pilot Roads. Besides the horrible howling, they slipped, slid and squirmed all over tar snakes (pucker factor of 8 repeatedly). Never a tar snake problem in 60k miles of the oem Bridgestones. I really noticed no difference between the two at high speeds but really noticed a loss of handling with the PRs, slow speed and serious California twisties. Some people seem to like the loss of quick steering. Never had a Bridgestone slip, wet or dry so I really can't say which is better there.

Ray

I think part of our different opinion on the tires is the difference in our roads and riding styles?...your right the PR's do hum and with two up and the bags loaded they will howl...up here in north eastren Ohio its almost impossible to find a stretch of road that isn't covered with them and tons of cracks that aren't filed....the ones that give me the biggest pucker factor are the tall, hot ones in the corners, and the ones on the slab that don't run straight....the tread on the PR's run more side to side and don't have that straighter grove pattern of the Bridgestone.......

Here's a write up from Bones....it somes it up for me to a T.....

My 2003 ST1300ABS came from the factory with Bridgestone BT020 Battlaxes. These tires were part of a machine that did everything much better than my previous mount, a 1989 Honda PC800K. BT020's took me from Cape Breton to the Smoky Mountains without incident.
One aspect of the BT020's that I grew to dislike their abrupt "fall" into turns. Some riders view this as fast reaction, but to me it is non-linear. The front 020's pointy cross section accounts for this tendency. The front tire was cupped noticeably by 4,000 miles, with the ST becoming increasingly twitchy in curves. By 8,000 miles the front was just into the wear bars but the rear was badly worn, especially left of center.
Based on the ST community's positive response to the Metzeler ME Z6 Roadtecs, and my previous experience with the elephant brand, I replaced the OEM BT-020s with Z6's. As my ST brethren predicted, turn-in was smoother and more predictable, the wiggle on steel-deck bridges went away and traction on dry pavement was excellent. In the wet, however, traction suffered in comparison to BT020's, perhaps because the rear Z6 is slick on center, and the Z6's did not inspire confidence.
They didn't last long, either. By 5,000 miles, despite my propensity to avoid slab, the rear Z6 exhibited a pronounced flat spot. At 6,000 miles, close inspection revealed numerous cuts and chunks in the tread, and the rear was done. The front had some tread remaining but had cupped noticeably and buzzed in turns. I needed one tire right away and another fairly soon. Conveniently, the Pilot Road test provided them.
I packed camping gear for a trip through New York's Adirondack State Park and Vermont's Green Mountains. Armed with fresh rubber, my ST was a joy to dance with on the rural roads. New rubber always feels good, and the Pilot Roads felt wonderfully composed holding a line through sweepers in New York's North Country, and on tighter curves in Vermont. With no civilization for miles and a long view of the road ahead, I left my friend on the Road King behind to see what the tires could do. My initial assessment: these tires have more fair-weather performance potential than I could extract.
When heavy rain fell on Vermont, I donned rain gear and kept going. Loaded down for camping, however, I felt little desire to push these tires to their edge of adhesion on a wet road. That said, my bike felt remarkably planted to the road even in this mid-summer deluge. No other tire I've ridden felt so connected to a wet road. I felt no evidence of hydroplaning and no sensation of compromised grip in curves. Two abrupt straight-line stops (one unplanned, one a follow-up test) brought the ST to a quick controlled stop without engaging the ABS.
Riding in the rain is not like riding on a dry road, but the Pilot Roads narrow the performance gap between them. This inspired confidence to keep riding at a good pace despite the weather. That feeling, confirmed by subsequent wet rides in Massachusetts, Maine, and Connecticut, is just what I want when it's pouring and 200 miles home to wife, daughter and dogs.
Noise

Every tire makes its own sound as the contact patch interfaces with the road's surface. Different tread patterns and compounds (and different road surfaces) result in different sounds. After several thousand miles of one tire's distinctive sound, a new set of tires hits my ears differently, calling attention to itself.
And the Pilot Roads did call attention to themselves, louder than the other tires I've had on my ST. Front and rear, the tread designs have no continually slick rolling circumference; there is always "slick-groove-slick-groove" contact happening with the road. What helps performance in the rain adds to road noise.
I don't bother with earplugs on a slower paced ride, such as a summer evening cruise, and then I hear the tires. But since I look over the windshield, the sound of air rushing over my helmet supplants the hum once I hit about 50 mph. With earplugs in (typical for me) it's not an issue.
1000 – 2000 miles

Again camping gear laden, I spent the weekend with four other riders in Maine. The road into our weekend accommodation was a continuous snake of tight curves, some off-camber with abrupt elevation changes. I rode this five-mile stretch several times with some portions of the road dry, and others still wet from rain or fog. With the Pilot Roads, it proved easy to control the ST on the wet road. Again, "confidence" was the watchword.
The weekend also involved sections on dirt roads and the Pilot Roads performed well for street tires on dirt. Since I camp often, predictable slow speed performance on unpaved roads is an important consideration.
On stretches of scarified pavement where the top layer is ground off in preparation for new asphalt, the Pilot Roads showed no tendency to wander, as had the BT020's.

2000 – 3000 miles

Over several weekends, I tested Pilot Roads on my favorite twisties in Western Massachusetts:
  • Rte. 57 from Southwick to Monterrey
  • Rte. 23 from Russell to Great Barrington
  • Rte. 8 from New Boston to Dalton
  • Rte. 116 from Savoy to South Deerfield
  • Mohawk Trail from North Adams to Shelburne Falls
  • Skyline Trail from Huntington to Hinsdale
Sunday mornings before the Buicks and minivans emerge, these roads are a scream.
Grip on these smooth, dry roads was excellent. The Pilot Roads have a more rounded cross section than either the BT020's or Z6's. This translates into smooth, linear, predictable turn-in. Interestingly, despite all that grip, my "chicken strips" look wider on Pilot Roads than on the other tires. Perhaps the tires' rounded profile is a factor; it is not for lack of grip.
3000 – 5000 miles

At two ST rallies two weeks apart, I piled up the miles in Connecticut and New Hampshire. Three of twelve ST's, mine included, were shod with Pilot Roads. I asked the two other riders for opinions.

One, Greg, who invites flatlanders to join him in the White Mountains of New Hampshire "to round out their flat spots," was especially pleased with the consistency of turn-in, which he deems critical on the more technically challenging routes. He pointed out the lack of wear near the shoulder and concluded that more grip is on tap. He also commented favorably on wet grip, high-speed stability, and tread life to date.
Brian was more economical with his words, concluding, "They're good. I like them." Prodded for more commentary, he lodged a half-hearted complaint about road noise, "They hum. Whatever."
Both riders said they would choose Pilot Roads again.
Tread Life

The tread depth on new Pilot Roads is 3.5 mm (0.14") on the front and 5.5 mm (0.21") on the rear, measuring from the center of the tread. Measuring from the center is important since, by design, the tread becomes shallower (and wider) as it approaches the tire's shoulder.
After 5,000 miles I measured tread depth as 3.0 mm in the front and 4.4 mm in the rear. I measured each tire in three different spots and got the same reading each time. The tread bars are still well below the surface. With 5,000 miles on the tires, they will easily outwear the Z6's, and I project they will do at least as well as the BT020's, if not better.
After 5,000 miles, the front tire has not cupped noticeably and the rear shows no flat spot. They seem quieter on center than when new, but the hum picks up in the turns (not an issue with earplugs in).
Conclusions

I ride a motorcycle for the thrill of speed and motion so I want tires that perform, wet or dry. I want tires that continue to perform over a long tread life. Michelin says that Pilot Roads shoot for a balance of all-around grip and longevity. In my view they hit their target.
If you ride your ST enthusiastically through the curves, if you want confidence-inspiring performance in the rain, and if you want good tread life, my experience says Michelin Pilot Roads are worth a try. They are well suited to the mission of the ST1300.

Scott A. Williams is a freelance writer and ST1300 rider from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. Screen name "Bones" on www.ST-Owners.com.

Last edited:
Top Bottom