Roadsmart Tire Failure.

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Well after all the good things I had to say about these the front tire failed me on my way to the Devis Hwy today at about the 7,000 mile mark. The front tire developed a bump right in the middle of the tire in one spot. The way I noticed it was slowing down to enter Ft. Thomas it felt like the road was really rough, but the road was fine. Looking at the wear I probably could have gotten 3,000 miles out of them if this hadn't happened. Think I will try some Pilot Road II's This time

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
Dunlop may be interested in accuiring the failed tire to dissect it.
Couldn't hurt to call them directly to inquire about warranty replacement.
Jefro.

OP
OP

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Dunlop may be interested in accuiring the failed tire to dissect it.
Couldn't hurt to call them directly to inquire about warranty replacement.
Jefro.
I sent them an email already describing the problem, I will see if they contact me. I doubt if there is much warranty left at 7,000 miles I only expected another 3k. I expected a lil better after reading all the write ups on this tire.

OP
OP

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Well its been 3 business days now and no response to my email from Dunlop. New tires are in just waiting on my 90 degree valve stems to show up (Supposedly tomorrow) to get the new skins on.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Geeze, Yogi.

1st. We missed you at Hannigan Meadows (your name was mentioned, and it was OK:))

Sad story about your road smarts. Be very interesting to see if anybody else gets a premature failure.

I'm really tickled with the STorms, on my second full set. The mileage is slightly less than I would have hoped, the feel and runabillity right to the air is wonderful. Easy trade, for me.

Bike
Honda 2009 DN-01
STOC #
Sad story about your road smarts. Be very interesting to see if anybody else gets a premature failure.
My failure may have been the most premature of all! I bought a set of the Roadsmart at the local Cycle gear. The tire installer (who has been mounting my tire purchases for years) could not get the rear tire to balance. No matter how he repositioned the tire on the rim, the tire would still be out of balance a minimum of 55 grams. It was bizarre... add the weights to correct the imbalance and the tire would still be out of balance. I traded my receipt in and had him mount BridgeStone BT021 instead. The BT021 were 20 grams out and trued up instantly with the weights to 0 gram. Total miles on Roadsmart = zero. BTW, I am not happy with the BT021s either... looking forward to going back to Metzelers next time.:04biker:

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Yogi, thanks for posting.

Well after all the good things I had to say about these the front tire failed me on my way to the Devis Hwy today at about the 7,000 mile mark. The front tire developed a bump right in the middle of the tire in one spot.
I am also riding Roadsmarts with 7000 miles on them with 1/8" tread left. To date they have performed better than the BS 020's and 021's.

Time to be extra vigilant on the tires.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Well its been 3 business days now and no response to my email from Dunlop. New tires are in just waiting on my 90 degree valve stems to show up (Supposedly tomorrow) to get the new skins on.
You might try calling, or asking the vendor you bought them from to contact Dunlop. Dunlop is a huge company, and I'm sure they get thousands of emails every day. And remember that you are not really Dunlops custmer--they sell to dealers and wholesalers, and are more likely to respond to a contact from them.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I love this board! So much info to help make decision with. In my case I wouldn't have needed to read this post to know that I will never buy another Dunlop tire as long as I live. I don't care if they are winning at the track. I wouldn't give you $.03 for a barge full of Dunlops. Every experience I've had has a been a poor one. Others I know who have owned them have had a poor experience too. These pieces of junk that come standard on the ST's (220's) are an embarassment to Honda. Did I leave anything out or do you wan't me to voice how I really feel:)

STOC #
My failure may have been the most premature of all! I bought a set of the Roadsmart at the local Cycle gear. The tire installer (who has been mounting my tire purchases for years) could not get the rear tire to balance. No matter how he repositioned the tire on the rim, the tire would still be out of balance a minimum of 55 grams. It was bizarre... add the weights to correct the imbalance and the tire would still be out of balance. I traded my receipt in and had him mount BridgeStone BT021 instead. The BT021 were 20 grams out and trued up instantly with the weights to 0 gram. Total miles on Roadsmart = zero. BTW, I am not happy with the BT021s either... looking forward to going back to Metzelers next time.:04biker:
This thread is the first negative reports I know of concerning the 'smarts. Before I ordered mine, I posted this thread:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45816

I just mounted them last nite and haven't gotten out for a ride yet, but I did find that they were hard to balance. I've never needed more than 1/4 oz or so on the front of any tire, but I have a whole ounce on there now and I'm still not convinced I like it. We shall see.

Thanks for the updates. We'll all be keeping an eye on these I guess.

OP
OP

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Thanks to all who have posted. I am back on the road now.. Got the Michelin Pilot Road II's this time. Also got the Airette Valve stems in time and a new set of brake pads so I am ready to go just got it all back together this morning.

With 7K on the Roadsmarts I really wasn't expecting Dunlop to do anything so I won't waste my time trying to contact them. It really was a shame I really liked those tires but I won't own a tire I can't trust to get me to the wear bars. That failure was just sudden and if it had waited to fail for a couple more hours I would have been in the middle of the Devils Hwy.

Took the PRII's out for a little spin they feel pretty good will have to see how they hold once I get em broke in

Top Bottom