RoadSmart vs Stock and ????

STOC #
I've had a set of RoadSmarts on for a couple months now and I really like them. My only complaint is that I get a bunch of buffeting what can only be described as 'wheel dance' when behind a Semi or other large vehicle that I didn't get before I changed out the OEM Bridgestones. I know the balance is good (Gene did it!) and the only thing I can attribute to is the Roadsmart has a bit less tread on the road than my BTs due to it's 'less round' profile.

Otherwise, the traction is rock solid in the turns, both wet and dry. I find myself being more 'confident' in wet conditions vs. my old tires.

I have put on a couple thousand miles in the last 2 months and there are no signs of cupping or noticeable wear, for that matter.

Ride safe.
Brent

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've got almost 4k on the rear and 3k on the front and the front looks brand new still. The rear has just now developed a flat spot but that's pretty typical so I don't have a good judgement on the mileage at this point.

I get the 'dancing' next to a semi until I relax my grip on the bars, then it goes away so I think my tires are fine, it was the same way for me w/OEMs.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have about 3K on a set; they're working great. I don't think that the buffeting when passing trucks is tire related. I've found that it works best to accellerate through the turbulence. (Actually, it feels good to accellerate anytime...) I didn't have any problems with the OEM 020s, either; I'll be interested to see how many miles I get from the RoadSmarts (10K+ from the OEMs.)

Different bike same tyre, I used them on my Fazer thou for about 6000 miles superb in both wet and dry conditions.
I'll be putting them on the Pan next tyre change.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I have 3000 miles on mine and they still look new. Tires feel great in the twistys. I don't know if it is my imagination but the bike just seems to roll over very easy into the turns. Almost no effort. But hey, it's on the steed what more could you expect.

Gary
:04biker:

Bike
ST
I have had a set on for about 1500 miles. I really like them. the first thing I noticed was improved low speed stability and traction.:biker:

Paul

Bike
None
STOC #
I had new front and rear Roadsmart installed at the same time and currently have 8,000 miles on them. I love them, for similar reasons to those previously stated by others in this thread, and have no reservations about installing another set of when new tires are needed.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Most people seem to like them, I had them on a light bike (SV) and the rear stuck to the road a good deal better than the front (not a setup I want in a bike), while that was not the case with previous tires on the bike. I had front braking traction issues at maximum braking and beginning slide issues with the front in turns before the pegs touched down. Additionally the ONLY time I've been down was with these tires losing the front. That was after the front traction going first issue surfaced. Not sure another tire would have helped as it was a surface problem, but it sure let go mondo fast. Flat out didn't work well on that bike. I thought this time I'd like a Dunlop, but no. :(

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
I got about 8k (miles) out of a set. Best mileage rear tire I've found yet. Good handling tires ..... At first. The front became much more "ponderous" than the 020s I've been running up till now, and developed a lot of noise. The 'Stone's handling does deteriorate a bit towards the last 25% of their life, but not as bad as the 'Smarts. Front tire wear is a bit worse than the rear, it wouldn't go 2 to 1. I'll use them again for an extended trip but I'll be going back to the 020s for my general purpose tire. On a miles per dollar basis the 020s have been the best value so far.

I put 8200 on a set of Smarts and recently changed them out for a new pair to go to Indy and the Gap (3K) and could probably get another 2K on the original set if I opted to do that. So as far as wear and general handling was concerned I like them very much. Will mention that on the way down to the Gap a couple of us got frisky on the highway 100+ for several miles and wind from trailers did give me some serious wobble at times. Don't know if it was the tires or not cuz I was pretty well loaded down and that may have contributed to the wobble. It did cause me to back it down a bit and that was probably a good thing.................

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
For those that have had them now for a while, would you buy them again? If not, then what? I need some new tires but the buffeting issue is a little disconcerting.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
For those that have had them now for a while, would you buy them again? If not, then what? I need some new tires but the buffeting issue is a little disconcerting.
Maybe the Roadsmarts wobble is linked to suspension set up? Have aftermarket suspension and no wobble yet after 3K under solo touring load.

Based on wear at 3K, I'd be lucky to get 8K out of them. I was pleased with the Z6/M880 combo before, but after the RS, I wont go back to them. Just too much of an improvement in handling, wet and low speed.

In a way, the wet handling is scary. After a while in the rain, you get to forget that it is wet (the Metz wouldn't let you forget!) and you have to consciously keep reminding yourself to back off. On the other hand, one would really like to know where the limit is......

OP
OP
Randy Bowers
Maybe the Roadsmarts wobble is linked to suspension set up? Have aftermarket suspension and no wobble yet after 3K under solo touring load.

Based on wear at 3K, I'd be lucky to get 8K out of them. I was pleased with the Z6/M880 combo before, but after the RS, I wont go back to them. Just too much of an improvement in handling, wet and low speed.

In a way, the wet handling is scary. After a while in the rain, you get to forget that it is wet (the Metz wouldn't let you forget!) and you have to consciously keep reminding yourself to back off. On the other hand, one would really like to know where the limit is......
See, THATS THE KEY, knowing where the limit is, and there is only one way to find out--- BUT CRASHING REALY SUCKS........:(

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I appear to be unusual in this group (as I am in most!), but I am not getting the tire wear I was expecing from the Roadsmarts. I have about 5500 miles on my first set of them, and the rear is worn out. The front probably has another 3000 miles left. Now, this is not unusual for me, but these tires, with their dual compund technology, were supposed to be longer lasting. It just hasn't born out for me. I do like the handling and feel, but they didn't last any longer than the Storms, whch didn't last any longer than their predecessors... Anybody want to suggest something better?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I appear to be unusual in this group (as I am in most!), but I am not getting the tire wear I was expecing from the Roadsmarts. I have about 5500 miles on my first set of them, and the rear is worn out. The front probably has another 3000 miles left. Now, this is not unusual for me, but these tires, with their dual compund technology, were supposed to be longer lasting. It just hasn't born out for me. I do like the handling and feel, but they didn't last any longer than the Storms, whch didn't last any longer than their predecessors... Anybody want to suggest something better?
That's interesting, do you regularly check your pressure?

Sounds like you're pretty aggressive, there may not be a tire for you.. LOL But, that's not really a bad thing.:D

I found the Storms lasted less than the Azaro rear (13,000kms vs 10,000kms) on the ST11, but the front Storm lasted better (15,000kms vs 10,000kms). I have only had the Roadsmarts on for 3000kms but have no problem with grip and handling compared to the Storms (or the Z6s which I had on before). Tyre life is the only unknown issue. As the Z6s are expensive down here, if tyre life is similar between these tyres I will just go by what is available (which is how I came to use the Roadsmarts as Storms were on backorder)

OP
OP
Randy Bowers
WELL, their now on the bike, and I spent some time in one of the school parking lots doing figure 8's. So far they feel good, we'll see, going over to the coast this weekend and that should break them in.
And by the way, so far their good for 125 mph, I check again when I have a longer road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom