Rostra cruise with GW switch, which heated grips, G2 throttle tamer?

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Hello all, I am in the process of fine tuning the Rostra install that the PO did on my ST1300. I adjusted the engine sizing to 6 Cylinder/Low , and it seems good so far, but only about a 5 minute sample time.

My question to the folks that have done this, along with the Goldwing switch, is which heated grips did you install? I was looking at some Oxford touring, but was concerned with the lengths. I want to put the factory bar ends back on, so it looks like the throttle tube need to be shortened compared to it's current state. Right now my throttle tube is about 5 inches long. Looks like it needs shortened about half an inch. Also, was considering a G2 throttle tamer, should I get the version for the GW rather than the ST1300?

:slv13:

Thanks,
Josh

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
On the 1100 I moved the switch unit further to the centre of the bars. It meant drilling a new locator hole for the switch gear. It’s easy to do and then you don’t have to do anything to the throttle

OP
OP
Josh_ST

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
I guess I should have mentioned that as well, it is already been done. The switch is against the start of the bar end.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Hello all, I am in the process of fine tuning the Rostra install that the PO did on my ST1300. I adjusted the engine sizing to 6 Cylinder/Low , and it seems good so far, but only about a 5 minute sample time.
Josh the Rostra engine settings are easy to misunderstand. The idea is to give the unit info about the vehicle's power-to-weight ratio. Since bikes are lighter you should "lie" to the unit and tell it you have a more powerful engine.

When I put one on my Nighthawk 750, I believe I used a 6- or 8-cylinder high engine setting, which made the acceleration more gentle, yet still reacted fast enough to maintain speed as well as a factory-installed car cruise control.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
They talk about a shorter throttle tube available, to allow you to install the bar ends with heated grips

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Rather than shorten the throttle tube and all the feddling you'd have to do with grip length, etc, etc... I'd approach this by inserting an appropriate lengthed spacer inside the throttle tube along with a longer bolt for the bar-end weight. Effectively lengthening the bar. If I recall correctly you may need to fashion a step in the spacer to match that in the end of the bar and and bar-end weight (I might be confusing this with a different bike's bar-end weight design).

I'd use whatever diameter and contour there is on the bar-end weight where it mates to the end of the bar inside the end of the throttle tube.

Just my 2¢

Top Bottom