RT quit on me.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
@dduelin What type of oil did you have in the engine? lol

Not surprised you found the problem quickly and luckily it was an easy, inexpensive fix. Good job!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Your time is coming! I think I’ll go out and open my Super Tenere gas cap with my spare $6.00 KEY.
New BMW 1250 owners can expect to pay roughly FIFTEEN TIMES that price for a replacement PLASTIC key for our bikes.
(According to those who have paid that, talking about it on ADVrider.)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I did a little research on the gas cap thing and BMW made it pretty easy to open the cap with just 2 screws in the upper section. There's a pin in there you can clean w/wd-40 and you're done.

I can see how ADV bikes might accumulate more dust and gunk in the cracks that might cause this more options - not something I'd typically have to deal with much even if I had a GS (lol.. poser!)
Your time is coming! I think I’ll go out and open my Super Tenere gas cap with my spare $6.00 KEY.
Every problem has alternative solutions...

If it does become an issue...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I love the keyless ride, I want every bike I have from now on to have it.
I'd love to have a keyless-ride bike. But this keyless gas cap – I take it it's not what some here have replaced the ST's locking gas with? A simple twist on/twist off cap? Is this some sort of electro-mechanical access thing? It sounds trick which I like. But having my ST's locking cap fail to open via mechanical error and my compounding by breaking the key off in it via human error gives me pause.

Push a button on a fob or handle bar and a little door raises up? Or just a lock in the cap? That would be pretty trick and yes I might go for that. A release that let an access door pop up would be ok but less trick. :D Everything is until it isn't. After having the ST's gas cap replaced I still use it and haven't gone to a more pedestrian version.

Last edited:

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'm not sure it would give you a clue to something like a switch falling loose from it's mount, but I never go far from home w/o my Hex Code GS-911. At least it would rule out things that are actually serious and let you focus on what else could be going on, or not waste time in calling for a tow and a flight home. Pricey, but you can charge nine other guys $50 to use up one license each in the unit and pay for it. Save someone one trip to the dealer to reset a service light or TPS sensor update, and they come out ahead, too.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm not sure it would give you a clue to something like a switch falling loose from it's mount, but I never go far from home w/o my Hex Code GS-911. At least it would rule out things that are actually serious and let you focus on what else could be going on, or not waste time in calling for a tow and a flight home. Pricey, but you can charge nine other guys $50 to use up one license each in the unit and pay for it. Save someone one trip to the dealer to reset a service light or TPS sensor update, and they come out ahead, too.
I have a GS-911 and I connected it and ran the programs the afternoon of the first problem. It did indicate a 10 1111 error code for side stand switch but it also said fault is not currently present which indicates it did record a fault some time in the previous 4000 miles, but not at the present time. I should have checked the switch anyway, like I said earlier, but I was fixated on an ignition/spark problem and let it get by me.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I really Liked the old twist and remove type of gas cap! ---- and roll down car windows and, and ----Yeah I'm old! :old1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
This all reinforces the wisdom of:
KNOW THY BIKE!
Noraly seems to belie this bit of wisdom. While she seems to have common sense and has a general knowledge of the bikes systems she does not exude mechanical prowess.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The T3 Moto Guzzi I just sold had a keyless gas cap. You pushed down on this little chrome bump on the cap and click! it popped open.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I have a GS-911 and I connected it and ran the programs the afternoon of the first problem. It did indicate a 10 1111 error code for side stand switch but it also said fault is not currently present which indicates it did record a fault some time in the previous 4000 miles, but not at the present time. I should have checked the switch anyway, like I said earlier, but I was fixated on an ignition/spark problem and let it get by me.
Thanks for sharing, this is an extra I didn't expect it to know. I guess it means we need to run a scan from time to time and investigate any errors.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The T3 Moto Guzzi I just sold had a keyless gas cap. You pushed down on this little chrome bump on the cap and click! it popped open.
Oddly enough, I remember some older Japanese bikes that had gas caps like that... now what were they?
BSA?
Ducati?
Ural... nah.
Oh, wait! They were Hondas!

Top Bottom