Running low fuel levels

Lubrication and pump cooling does not address electric motor cooling. Most motors need to be 75 degrees above ambient before performance degrades. Lower tank temps would be interesting from full to empty.
I have contemplated that and don't have a good answer as to whether it is temperature related or not. I admit to not having any specific knowledge of electric motor heat tolerance however, anecdotedly, I do know that electric motors which operate in ambient air environments can get so hot that you can not touch them with bare hands, and they happily operate in these conditions.

The fuel in the tank of an ST1300 that has been operating for hours at full operating temperature is not very hot, it can easily be handled with bare hands. If the fuel is not that hot, I can't see how anything sitting in it can be. If the motor failures are temperature induced in what seems like a relatively low temperature environment to me, my first thought is that they seemingly are not top quality motors. Maybe it is that simple?

Last edited:
There is a big differance in quality on who makes the pumps. My Ford needed a pump often were as my Sisters Toyota got traded in with the Oem pump and 200,000 miles on it.

Back
Top Bottom